Commuting around, getting around LA/Hollywood/ Los Angeles

runningfishy

Banned
I was wondering about commuting around LA.  I realize that driving would be good, but this is the first time I'm going there and I'm debating on whether or not, we should rent a car.  We had plan on taking the metro and what not.  Our "motel" is near "Hollywood BLVD", and if I wanted to commute to wilshire or downtown, what or how would I go about?

More so, does it make sense as I keep reading about how traffic is terrible and how parking sucks.

Are GPS efficient enough??  Granted this is my first time, so everything is 'new'.

--

Our motel is near the red line metro, if that helps.  For example, if I wanted to go to the LA Zoo or to Anaheim, or further, which method would be better?  I'm not familiar w/ anywhere so I figured I go metro the first time.  But could I rent a car for 2-3 days and what not?

Parking sucks in terms of the tourist areas?

Thanks.

You can take metro from Hollywood to LA or k-town but if you want to go anywhere else like Santa Monica/West LA you'll need a car. Parking is a pain. Some hotels will charge you to park so be sure to look.

The Subway(Red line will take you all the way to downtown) It's also just one bus to get to the Wilshire area, or Santa Monica/Culver City from the Hollywood and Highland Station. Personally I'd get a car because you get to see more. Yes traffic sucks, but if you get all your sight seeing in mid day, chalk up the traffic as part of the "experience"

rent a car if youre going to travel out of LA. the red and purple lines can get you in an out of downtown fairly efficiently.

Make sure you take a walk down Gower and Sunset for a great meal @ Roscoes.
pimp.gif

where can I rent a car in the area? i plan on renting for a few days if necessary. i wanna ride the metro too.
how long would it take from hollywood to the LA zoo, or to little tokyo?

what APPS for the GPS works wonder? LOLZ

thanks fam..

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

where can I rent a car in the area? i plan on renting for a few days if necessary. i wanna ride the metro too.

thanks fam..

Are you flying in?(You can rent a car from the airport)
Do you have an iphone? (You can check metro routes using Google Maps)
As far as transit times if you're staying in hollywood taking the redline to little tokyo about 45-55 mins, the la zoo is a couple buses but would take the same amount of time.

If you're trying to go to Anaheim or the OC though I would suggest renting a car.

Originally Posted by OkieDoqui

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

thanks fam..

Are you flying in?(You can rent a car from the airport)
Do you have an iphone? (You can check metro routes using Google Maps)
As far as transit times if you're staying in hollywood taking the redline to little tokyo about 45-55 mins, the la zoo is a couple buses but would take the same amount of time.

If you're trying to go to Anaheim or the OC though I would suggest renting a car.

We're getting picked up that's why, and spending some time w/ friends, after that we'll be car-less. LOL  I didn't wanna stress it with a car, unless the gps and navigation apps are easy to navigate.  I'd hate to take the wrong turn and end up like HAROLD and KUMAR in a, MY JORDANS _#_____@@ and get capped. lolz

Do you mean i have to transfer and what not going to the LA ZOO.  The metro guideline, isn't that bad, but when you're a rook, you're a rook.

You're probably gonna have to pay for parking at the hotel, so maybe you should plan your trip out. Visit the places that don't need a car to get to. Then when you wanna do OC or LA Zoo, rent a car.

When I was there I rented a car and was glad I did

Hollowood to DTLA?

Take the Metro Red Line. I think it's $5 and you ride (metro rail + metro bus) all day.

map-red-line.jpg

Back
Top Bottom