Companies are robbing people in this job market vol. Greed

I get a lot of emails on jobs and I open this email and read the description... IT support for a major company, requiring 5-8 years of experience and a security clearance. Nice huh? Then I look at the pay rates:

13/hr on W-2 (no benefits)
15/hr on 1099

roll.gif
roll.gif
Work for 8 years to get Mickey D's money and no benefits? Hold a super hard to get clearance and not even enough pay for a 1 BR apartment? (DC area).

Pathetic. These companies are leeches, sucking hard work out of Americans for pennies on the dollar.

It's terrible out here man.......
tired.gif
.......smh at what America has become.

I remember when I graduated college, and was looking for an architecture firm in NYC.  I got an interview with a small firm in Bay ridge, Brooklyn.  In my head, I'm thinking, finally!  So I get to the interview, everything goes well, and at the end of the interview, the principal looks at me with a straight face and says, "You're portfolio is great, I love it......Would you be interested in working for free....you know, the economy is terrible and we have to do whatever we can now"

I politely said no thanks, and walked out.  This was in 2009, I could only imagine what companies are trying to do now, with new graduates.....
tired.gif

After the economy tanked, and employees got laid off, companies figured, why pay 10 people a fair and honest wage, when we can pay 2 people chum change.  Work them harder for long hours, because at the end of the day, the "economy is bad", and people are fearful of losing their jobs.....
tired.gif
tired.gif

Just venting!!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by oO ThE RoC Oo

"You're portfolio is great, I love it......Would you be interested in working for free....you know, the economy is terrible and we have to do whatever we can now"

tired.gif

I remember when I graduated college, and was looking for an architecture firm in NYC.  I got an interview with a small firm in Bay ridge, Brooklyn.  In my head, I'm thinking, finally!  So I get to the interview, everything goes well, and at the end of the interview, the principal looks at me with a straight face and says, "You're portfolio is great, I love it......Would you be interested in working for free....you know, the economy is terrible and we have to do whatever we can now"

I politely said no thanks, and walked out.  This was in 2009, I could only imagine what companies are trying to do now, with new graduates.....
tired.gif

After the economy tanked, and employees got laid off, companies figured, why pay 10 people a fair and honest wage, when we can pay 2 people chum change.  Work them harder for long hours, because at the end of the day, the "economy is bad", and people are fearful of losing their jobs.....
tired.gif
tired.gif

Just venting!!
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
For free. I bet they'd profit off of your hard work though.

These companies are just hoarding cash. Despicable.

Im in the IT field and pretty much see pay close to that. The justification is a "small market" and the size of the local area has a lower cost of living. Well, cost of living has skyrocketed in the last 5 years for just about anywhere and our market has become extremely competitive. Basically, at least to me, it seems like companies are making less revenue than the past and their way to cover that for profiteers is to have low labor costs while operating at the same level.

Why do they require a clearance? Is this a Gov. Company or one who works on Gov. contracts? If so, the contract might be S.C.A which means service based but more importantly that the Gov. sets the pay rate and minimum benefits, in which case it would be illegal to offer less but many still will and profit the difference. I am on such a contract and the rate is much more than that. PM me the company name and I will try to find out. Send me the whole listing in fact so I can have the contract number

i swear, i was at one interview for a couple hours. i had to do these tests and analyzing stuff, i felt i was giving them free consultation. i went on glassdoor and others were saying the same thing. were they even hiring or bringing in people to pitch them some ideas?

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Why do they require a clearance? Is this a Gov. Company or one who works on Gov. contracts? If so, the contract might be S.C.A which means service based but more importantly that the Gov. sets the pay rate and minimum benefits, in which case it would be illegal to offer less but many still will and profit the difference. I am on such a contract and the rate is much more than that. PM me the company name and I will try to find out. Send me the whole listing in fact so I can have the contract number
This is all the info I was sent:

Help Desk Support

End Client: Nuclear Regulatory Commission

Contract :  4-10 years  

US Citizen

Pay Rate:  $ 13/ hr on  W-2 (No Benefits) or $ 15/ hr on 1099 / C2C
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Minimum of 6 months of tier II experience and 5-8 years of support experience required. Highway robbery to pay someone $13 an hour for all of that.

So you have IT support history. Why not go and start your own business then? Then you can charge whatever you want and make the kind of profits you want. Problem solved. No more dealing with corporate greed and having someone else set your standard of living.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

So you have IT support history. Why not go and start your own business then? Then you can charge whatever you want and make the kind of profits you want. Problem solved. No more dealing with corporate greed and having someone else set your standard of living.
I want to do this in the future, but I wasn't saying I'm working a job like this. I agree on someone else setting standards of living though, awful practice.

laugh.gif
wow

last year when I was in need of cash I got hired at a law firm to be a file clerk (scan and file papers) and it had higher pay than what you listed

Some companies are just taking advantage of people smh

Yep. I chastised her for sending this garbage and here's the resulting exchange:

"That’s true but unfortunately some take – we filled 5 positions already and they did 4 yesterday.. so only one slot left"

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by moneymike88

"You're portfolio is great, I love it......Would you be interested in working for free....you know, the economy is terrible and we have to do whatever we can now"
eek.gif

The hell are yall talking about? lol if you're in the IT field, get your game up in an ERP or cloud computing software and work on an implementation, upgrade, hell even production support and you'll make upwards of $50/hr....people I work with make 75-100 an hour on W2 or 1099 and work on projects that go on for multiple months even years...

Major corporations literally have millions to blow on consulting fees for IT people...people saying that "times are hard" or "its rough out here" in IT, really? cmon son its never been better, just gotta know whats hot right now and how to put yourself out there as a commodity

Being in the DC metro area this is rampant. Like how do you expect people to live up here within 30mi of the city?? I'm not one to be shacking up with 5 roommates.

Originally Posted by chickencurry4eva

The hell are yall talking about? lol if you're in the IT field, get your game up in an ERP or cloud computing software and work on an implementation, upgrade, hell even production support and you'll make upwards of $50/hr....people I work with make 75-100 an hour on W2 or 1099 and work on projects that go on for multiple months even years...

Major corporations literally have millions to blow on consulting fees for IT people...people saying that "times are hard" or "its rough out here" in IT, really? cmon son its never been better, just gotta know whats hot right now and how to put yourself out there as a commodity
^QFT.

I'm an implementation and deployment of software support person, get it.

tired.gif

tired.gif

tired.gif
tired.gif

Just venting!!
laugh.gif

I was expecting minimum wage.. Then read free.. Did a quick double take...  Free
roll.gif

change-since-1979-600.gif

13/hr for 8 year technical support with NO benefits?

+$$@, I made $11 base an hour with commission (up to 25/hr and full BENEFITS) doing telemarketing in college with no experience (2 & a half yrs ago, though)
laugh.gif

It's bad in North America. That's why I'm thankful I can work overseas in Hong Kong/China. Yeah, the hours are long and strenuous, but you can earn double the money over there and retire in your 50's, not to mention being bilingual over there is a sought out commodity. They raping everyone out here.

Back
Top Bottom