Comparison between playing in Kobes, Hyperdunks, and Lebrons

Originally Posted by ArmorRig

Originally Posted by Hardaway33

That too man. The sides of the tongue are pinching up on the vein, while both sides of the "ears" are killing the medial and lateral bones. I would hate it if I need to wrap it up if I only wanted to shoot around before working out.
The tongue is a MAJOR design flaw in the shoe, and at $170+ this is completely unacceptable!
Also my back was really tight after playing in them. This never happens to me with the other shoes in my rotation.  

I can relate having a stiffness in the back after playing when I'm not planting my feet right (like trying to play through a mild ankle sprain). So I would imagine if your feet are hurting while playing in the shoes, that you might be compromising your movements and thus affecting your back.  

Wow, I'm surprised y'all are saying this about the Lebron 9. I thought the major gripe was the stiff toe and lack of traction.

Did y'all lace up to the top eyelet?

I bought the xmas 9, tried them on around the house. I too couldn't stand the combat pro sides digging into my ankles so I sent them back before they even saw a basketball court

Mister Friendly, either top or 2nd to the last eyelet does the same thing on my ankles. I tie my laces securely when I play, and since the point of the lebron being a hitop, I lace it up.

But since I bought a pair of Lebron IX I plan on trying them out on the court. So far walking around in the house and tightening up the laces have been unbearable for my ankles even with longer and thicker socks. Wearing ankle support might help with the comfort. I'll find out soon.
The LB 9's KILLED my ankles! The tongue created serious pressure points on the front sides of both my ankles. In between foul calls I had to keep folding the sides of the tongues in to get some relief from the pain and pressure. I still managed to have a great game, but the IX were playing better pressure D than the team I was facing. Really disappointed with these! Switching back to my fly wades and Jordan 2010.   

Thats good to know.  I have a chiped bone in my ankle and can't wear most high tops because they put pressure on the bone.  I've been playing in Team Jordan 2010's and they are about as high as I can go but I also have some 2010 outdoors that kill my ankle.  I want to get a pair of Kobe's though because I am much more comforable playing in lowtops. 

Having played in the LBJ 8s, Kobe Vis, and the Hyperdunk 2011s, I would say the LBJ 8s were by far the worst out of the three.....I'm a 6'0" 160 lb perimeter player so I prefer light, quick shoes......playing in the Lebrons was like playing in boots. They were very stifff due to the 360 air bag used and the high collar really cut into my ankle even while wearing elite socks. The forefoot cushioning in nearly nonexistant......the only reason people say the LBJ 8 is comfortable is because of the ortholite sockliner.....take that out and the shoe sucks comfort-wise.....IMO the LBJ 8 is a fashion shoe, not a performance sneaker.

I like playing in the Lebron 9s lol. The tongue only pokes bothers me for like 10 minutes then after that I don't feel it. And I'm 5'8, 150 lol. Rather slow though and enjoy the cushion-ness.

IMO there is really no reason for so much padding in the ankle area. Your ankle should be supported while still having some "give" to them (like the fly wade's for example). The IX had NO give once I tied them up tight which I thought would be a good thing... until I started playing!

you got that right Hardaway33. I posted my experience with the LJ IX in this subforum.

The Elites are like a complete turn around with regards to the ankle padding compared to the regular 9. geesh, makes ya wonder why.

IMO there is really no reason so much padding in the angle area. Your ankle should be supported while still having some "give" to them (like the fly wade's for example). The IX had NO give once I tied them up tight which I thought would be a good thing... until I started playing!

Some people like having padding in the ankle area, not everybody wants shoes with "lightweight" or a "flexible" ankle area. Theres too many shoes like that out now anyways.  If you wan that, go buy the Hyperdunk 2011, Kobes, Hyperfuse or even the Lebron 8 PS. The Lebron 9 is a welcome change with all the padding

The lbj ix is not for people with frail legs... like i said n the ix performance reviews thread the bothersome ankle padding conforms in an hr or two of live gameplay... if your an explosive player these r goat status. My knees dont hurt at all comim down n those bad boys. Only thing i wry about is the 360 popping... 6 ft 195lbs btw

Never played in kobes or hyperdunks... did my anke real dirty n 11 lows once and ever since been rockin hi tops...

I wish they could make the lbj iv 5 lbs lighter... i miss wearin those beasts but if u think the ix are bootlike try on a pair of ivs right after
laugh.gif

Last summer i played in lbj ivs, soldier 1 n 2s and beater 5s do i guess im used to heavier shoes. For me comfort is the most important thing. Im pretty quick for my size and although i do feel cheetah like in lows. Rolling your ankle and blisters will put u on the pine real quick

Back
Top Bottom