Complex Greatest Rapper Alive 79-15

the list is dumb didnt even get pass LL cool J.. all the greats of the past shouldnt be at the bottom of the list... 

It actually wasn't that bad. I mean there were a few decisions that had me scratching my head but overall it wasn't bad.

List is solid. Didn't see any troll attempts.

I'd replace Dr.Dre with Redman in 92
2Pac shoulda been 94-96 tied with Nas/Big/Jay
I'd give Dmx and Jay 98/99
I'd give Jay 98-2002 with Eminem sprinkled in from 2000-2002
Cameron over T.I in 2004
The Game or Kanye over Jeezy in 2005
I'd give 2007-2012 to Kanye/Jay

Last edited:
this is just a list of whoever was the most successful that year not GREATEST

but based on that measure it's pretty spot on

if we're actually talking skills list gets pretty bad after DMX IMO.

Not sure how long Complex has been around, but this is probably their lone close to accurate as possible article :lol:, though I'd probably have 2005 as a toss up between Jeezy and Game, and would have Drake as 2009.

The shift once 2006 is so damn blatant though, but I mostly blame y'all for propping up the most mediocre rapper in history. He called himself the best and y'all ate it up like some groupies, getting so impressed with his "flow" combined with 5 minutes of dookie metaphors. He's the reason everybody who breathes thinks they can rap.

Once I saw Jay for 2009 I knew the rest of the list was wack. When Drake won 2015, my suspicions were correct. However my biggest gripe is I thought Kayne should of got it in 2004 over T.I.

Last edited:
LMAO, you all are right. After like '05, the list became a popularity contest. I was upset at how 1. K.Dot was the best rapper, but yet they didn't even mention his verse on Control & 2. Nicki Minaj as the BRA in '14!? I know it was a ****** year, but damn, at least give it to Drizzy again.

Lol at these Complex list. LMAO at the panel of people to complex these lists, bunch of NY transplant hipsters who feel they're hiphop experts because they know the lyrics to all of Masta Ace's slaughterhouse album.

Cam shoulda got 2002
Cole shoulda got 2014
Ross shoulda got 2010
Ye shoulda got 2004
Game shoulda got 2005
Kendrick shoulda got 2012
Gucci shoulda got 2009
Future shoulda got 2015

no ye or cam on the list is really odd IMHO.

no ross is odd. gucci being left off of a lot of lists is odd. no public enemy for 88...i dunno man. no missy? no wu tang?

88: public enemy over slick rick. i'm sorry. we will not sit here and act like it takes a nation... wasn't all over the radio. some of my first memories of hip hop were of rebel without a pause and night of the living baseheads.
90: i'ma have to go with ll. mama said knock you out was HUGE. i could rock with cube but from an east coast perspective i dunno man.
92: dre should have gotten 92.
94: biggie should have gotten it over nas, i'm sorry. queens native here too but ijs.
95: could have given it to raekwon if biggie got 94. i could see how biggie had 95 too tho.
97: missy should have been mentioned, busta should probably have this year alongside biggie.
99: belongs to em, i'm sorry. if jay didnt get a year for vol. 2 then leave him off until the blueprint.
2000: eminem again. period.
2002: cam. come on son.
2003: dipset deserves honorable mention but obviously like they said it was 50's year.
2004: woulda gave it to kanye west or the game. sorry.

give a **** about the rest of the list but gucci should get a year. he's the father to damn near anybody in the game now's style.

Id also take Curren$y in 2011 but im extremely biased there :lol: And I like that Redman finally got his due credit. Whut Thee Album >> The Chronic

Dre should have had 92 or 00. No honorable mentions for pimp juice??

I just think there were so many options for a lot of those years, especially 98-05. You could say Nelly was that dude from 01-04....but you could say the same for Eminem, 50 from 02-05, Jeezy, Game, and Kanye all breaking out in 04/05, Jay-Z was surely still a heavyweight back then, capped off by his fake retirement gimmick. Plenty of people to go around, so some dudes will naturally get left out.

No one from Wu-tang won any years
mean.gif

Easily Rae or GZA should have got 1995

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom