Confessions of an Air-Jordan-oholic

The "left over" shoes you have "floating around" is still a decent sized collection of quality kicks.

Pat,
Your site was a great resource back in the day. Never imaged that I would hear from the person running that site after 14+ yrs. Your hard work and attention to detail was evident. I don't see a site like that ever exciting now. 

Today, I sit here in my home, now 32 years of age, and I feel embarrassed to be still lurking on sneaker forums. Reading your post has helped me open my eyes and realize what I am still doing is a waste of energy.  Funny how your site feed into my addiction, and your post today has encouraged change.

I don't personally know you but Thanks for taking the time post.

Peace,

Mario

Originally Posted by Pat

Yeah, I hear ya, the hobby escalates exactly that way.  Start just with a few pairs that you wear, and pretty soon you're buying out store inventories.

Damn!

Awesome read. Respect.

Originally Posted by Pat

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

but OP

do you have a blog or something you can post this? just for the simple fact that I'd love to link it, but don't want to link to a niketalk thread 
nerd.gif
  I don't have a blog.  Is there some problem with linking to NT?
naw, just a matter of preference for me.
thanks for the post!

Great read!! You were the one with the site air-jordans dot com? Nice that was the go to site to find all the info on the OGs! Thanks For that!

Originally Posted by oldshoe34

Great read!! You were the one with the site air-jordans dot com? Nice that was the go to site to find all the info on the OGs! Thanks For that!

No, that's a different dude. Pat had his own page before air-jordans.com

wow Pat i forgot about you .. good post . glad to hear your doing well money wise. Get well soon

Golf Clap that was great

The "left over" shoes you have "floating around" is still a decent sized collection of quality kicks.

sounds about right
pimp.gif

That was an awesome read
smile.gif
 and Pat you are absolutely correct about Australia
pimp.gif
 just returned to the states a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted by oldshoe34

No, I wasn't the administrator of that site. However, a vast majority of the photos on that site were my collection (well, at least at first... I'm not sure what happened after I quit).

My site was just a lousy little childish looking "Pat's Air Jordan Page" (long gone now).  On there, I had links to each model/color.  Then, you'd click to each of the sub-pages, and you'd see pictures of the shoes posed at different angles (always on my coffee table as the background; you could always tell my photos from anyone else's).  I would always put a bunch of text on each shoe, talking about the features I liked or didn't like.  I also had a section on each shoe talking about some general tips on how you can tell a counterfeit from a real one... small differences in the way the logos are stamped... certain stitching patterns you should look for... etc.  I stopped somewhere around the AJ18 or AJ19 (that's about when I quit the hobby).

At that point, except for AJ1s, I owned every model and every colorway (that was released to the general public anyway... NOT including limited-sample "team" shoes or special builds for NBA players... which, yes, I did have SOME of those, like I had 2 pairs of AJs that were specially made for NBA players with their own numbers on the shoes - NOT "23" - ... and I also had a couple of the special "team" colorways of the AJ15 that were technially all "samples" - but a few leaked out to the public through outlet malls anyway --- but it's impossible to have EVERY colorway ever produced... unless you're MJ, or a Nike insider or something... which I am not... and even then, I doubt even MJ has EVERY colorway produced, if you're including samples, etc.).

The administrator of that other site you mentioned contacted me for additional information (like tag info), and also asked me to take new HQ pictures of each shoe.  It took a while to come up with lighting that worked for a "standard" image, and a good background that wouldn't ruin the image of the shoe itself (even though he photoshopped the background out of the picture... the background did affect how well the colors stood out in the final product).  So, over a period of weeks, I re-photo'd every model, every colorway, and sent him megs and megs and megs of photos for him to crop/edit/post on his website.  There WERE some holes in my collection, mainly in the original 1985/86 AJ1s.  I owned a bunch of them, but there were SO many, it was impossible to get them all.  And, note: I didn't actually start collecting in 1985, I was going back in the early 90s to back-fill my collection at premium prices.  But, even then, I always bought my own size, so that was really tough to find stuff.  I had a couple of original 1985/86 metallic AJ1s.  I had some of the non-metallic colorways too.  And, I naturally had EVERY remake of the AJ1s (and every other remake).  But, those AJ1s... uughh... so so many of them.  So, anyway, he either photoshopped something that looked close enough, or he found another source.  I also lacked a couple of the oldies in original colorways, and only had the remakes in those colorways.  For example, I owned original AJ2s in white/red, but I did not own original AJ2s in white/black... I only owned remakes in white/black... and there were a couple of other oldies here and there with the same problem... I still owned every colorway ever produced, and for a vast vast majority of the shoes, I owned both the original AND the remakes, and sometimes the re-re-makes... but, yes, there were a few "holes" from the purist's standpoint, where I did NOT own the actual original of that certain color.  So, he probably hunted down other sources that had the shoes I lacked (or photoshopped again).

After I quit, I'm not sure how he got his photos.

The tag information was one thing I didn't track on my website very well.  I tracked it elsewhere, and I think I might have put SOME of the information on my website.  But, that other site you mentioned tried to track ALL of the tag information (what could be found anyway).

Good read, as a sneaker head in my 30s, its always educational to read about the past and how sneakers influenced someone (positively or negatively)

Luckily , I never got out of control with this hobby and my only "problem" is finding time to wear all the kicks I do have. I've only worn about 5% of my collection smh. I still double up on kicks I really Like which now thinking about it, is kinda silly IMO especially if I hardly wear the 1 pair I did unds. I've sold 1/3 of my collection and am in the process of limiting my collection to about 50 pairs of "heat" that I love and won't part with , but that gets harder with each new shoe I buy lol.., oh well always reassuring that I can hop on nt for comforting therapy lol

Oh and no hate but why do some people buy "slow" releases just to have the opportunty to buy limited releases. I've never understood that. Ive had opportunities to be a VIP at my local shop but I can't justify buying "slow" releases that I just don't like as much. I'd rather just pay a lil extra and get my "limited " releases on lock or even a few weeks early, just my opinion

Good read tho and have to agree that traveling to austraila or anywhere outside of the us is definitely a must do in life

Originally Posted by monday22

Good read, as a sneaker head in my 30s, its always educational to read about the past and how sneakers influenced someone (positively or negatively)

Luckily , I never got out of control with this hobby and my only "problem" is finding time to wear all the kicks I do have. I've only worn about 5% of my collection smh. I still double up on kicks I really Like which now thinking about it, is kinda silly IMO especially if I hardly wear the 1 pair I did unds. I've sold 1/3 of my collection and am in the process of limiting my collection to about 50 pairs of "heat" that I love and won't part with , but that gets harder with each new shoe I buy lol.., oh well always reassuring that I can hop on nt for comforting therapy lol

Oh and no hate but why do some people buy "slow" releases just to have the opportunty to buy limited releases. I've never understood that. Ive had opportunities to be a VIP at my local shop but I can't justify buying "slow" releases that I just don't like as much. I'd rather just pay a lil extra and get my "limited " releases on lock or even a few weeks early, just my opinion

Good read tho and have to agree that traveling to austraila or anywhere outside of the us is definitely a must do in life
First, thanks for the kind words.

Second, your question: "Why do some people buy slow releases just to have the opportunty to buy limited releases" --- well, for years upon years, I was buying every model/color on release day anyway, multiple shoes for me and friends across the country/globe (I'd often send overseas, etc.).  I wouldn't say that I was doing it for the EXCLUSIVE reason of then having some return loyalty of being able to buy the limited ones.  (When feeding an addiction, you're going to buy the damned thing anyway.)  But, it was a nice perk, and well, it WAS what kept me loyal to the same source for every release.  It was a total pain, mind you... there were at least 20 stores a hell of a lot closer.  But, it was always comforting to know that, whether there's a line around the corner of 300 people to buy 40 pairs of shoes... or whether I'm the only one showing up for a launch and the store has 400 pairs that they need to sell... either way, I'm going to get shoes for myself and friends.  Yes, I paid full retail.

Of course, this kind of alludes to the original topic, which was talking about what an Air Jordan addict does.  Yes, those are the things I did in order to get my shoes.  Nowadays, I am almost always unaware of the dates of new shoe launches.  I don't buy every pair.  I buy a few when I like them.  I don't lose sleep if I miss one I wish I had grabbed.

As a total tangent off-topic.... If I had known about the dual-pack AJ5s with the 23 on the side from a few years back... I'd probably have bought them (but, I wasn't paying attention, and I missed it)... I regret it not because I love AJ5s... I don't.  But, because it's such an iconic shoe, the first time they put MJ's number on the shoe, etc.  And, Hatfield used the Mustang as the inspiration for the design.  Oh, how much I'd love to own a Mustang, you have no idea.  It's truly one of my goals in life... alas... though, I realize it might be an unachievable goal.  The prices just keep going up.  Yes, my buying power also goes up as years go by.  But, they seem to be getting more expensive at a FASTER rate than my buying power increases.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to catch up.  Sigh.  I go to Mexico/Cozumel from time to time, and I see a bunch of them lined up, used by the Mexican military.  Ha, pretty funny, I guess... we're in 2010/2011, and you see that Mexico's military uses MUSTANGS... HA!!! But, wow, it makes me want to join the Mexican military!!!  They probably have more fun in their Mexican Military Mustangs than the US military guys.  Anyway, I'd love so badly to own a Mustang... well, something tells me I should have just re-bought the AJ5s.  Putting my feet into an AJ5 again might be the closest my feet ever come to getting into a REAL Mustang.

Just curious ,when you were at your peak of collecting what was your favorite pair in your collection and is there any story behind it? (if it's even possible to choose just one) looks like from your article you you had a more 1's then anything else , I remember how awesome I thought it was that you had all the odd ball colorways that I had never seen before checking out your website, but I digress..... anyway much respect

Originally Posted by JIM SHADY2003

Just curious ,when you were at your peak of collecting what was your favorite pair in your collection and is there any story behind it? (if it's even possible to choose just one) looks like from your article you you had a more 1's then anything else , I remember how awesome I thought it was that you had all the odd ball colorways that I had never seen before checking out your website, but I digress..... anyway much respect
Thanks.

To answer your question: I had favorites, but my "ultimate favorite" (single shoe) changed from time to time.  Though, I don't think I have any "story" behind any pair, and what made it a favorite.  It's not like some people who say, "I lost my virginity the night I wore my black AJ3s, so those shoes became my favorite."  No, sorry, no stories like that.

I did make my first jump out of an airplane in a pair of white/black/gray AJ10s (the first colorway released of the AJ10s).  Hmm, but, I think I sold them... so I don't guess I could call them a favorite.

As for AJ1s, if I had more AJ1s than anything else, it's merely because there WERE more AJ1s than anything else... not because I found them to be a fantastic shoe.  They're actually pretty lousy in comparison to any Air Jordan since then (except those stupid AJs with that big dumb strap around the ankle... uugh... those were THE worst).  How many AJ1 varieties were there in 1985/86?  Around 23 different color hi-tops and 2 or 3 different color low-tops?  How many remakes/retros of the AJ1 have there been, and in how many colors?  Yeah, that's probably the only reason I owned so many AJ1s... just trying to feed the addiction of keeping the collection "complete" (as complete as I could, anyway).

My "ultimate" favorite has rotated between the following (in no particular order):
- AJ8 black/red
- AJ8 black/purple
- AJ13 black/green
- AJ13 black/red/white
- AJ10 black/purple/Sacramento

Back in the mid 1990s, you could have caught me saying the AJ6s and AJ7s were among my favorites too (and would have been in the "ultimate" favorite rotation).  But, it's been a while since I put those shoes that high in the pecking order (but they ARE nice).

As a side note: I think I still have far more AJ17s than I thought (and posted in an earlier message).  I just saw a bunch of them in my closet I had totally forgot about.

Originally Posted by JIM SHADY2003

I guess there IS one pair among my favorites with a story... not the story that MADE it a favorite... it was ALREADY a favorite.  But, anyway, on my wedding day, I wore the formal shoes that came with my tux for most of it.  But, right after the dinner, before the dancing and additional photos, I changed into one of my pairs of black/purple AJ10 Sacramentos.  A picture of those shoes (JUST the shoes) now occupies a large part of a page in our wedding album.

Thanks for the insight pat and since youre in the mood to "confess", I'd like to add to jim's question above and ask what sparked your addiction ?

Were you a fan of mj ? Do u have signed pairs , jerseys etc ? Did u buy other sneakers besides jordans ?

I love sneakers and I have a lot but my favorites were not bought out of hype or because I liked a certain player, etc (altho I do own signed spizikes purely because i believe spike is one of the most influential directors of all time), all of my favorites kicks were purchased out of pure sentiment , nostalgia or other personal reasons , never because of mj.

So, what fueled your fire ?

Back
Top Bottom