Contact Lenses [Astigmatism/Toric]: What kind do you guys use?

i'm due for a new prescription. what kind do ya'll use? Mine feel like they don't FIT on my eye as tight as they should...and like after a fewhours, they start to get a bit blurry. i used CIBA vision Focus contact lenses right now. definitely not spending my money on these.

i use acuvue oasis i have a slight astigmatism on one of my eyes.. i usually carry a bottle of visine around.. but since i got the new acuvue i have had noproblems whatsoever.. they feel good, and dont dry out.. they're on from 735 am to about 12 am when i go to sleep... fell asleep in them once and woke uplike nothing the next morning which is amazing
smile.gif

i used to use acuvue toric but now i've got acuvue oasys for astigmatism. the oasys are a little bit better in keeping my eyes less dry. you should see ifyou can get different samples from your optometrist to try out different contacts.

Focus torics are garbage - they always were and they've been around for about 10 years which is ancient in contact lens technology.

The best ones at the moment are the Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism, Acuvue Oasys for Astigmatism - both 2 week replacement - or the Biofinity Toric fromCoopervision - that's pretty new and I'm not sure if it has FDA approval yet - it's 4 weekly so is about 2/3 of the price of the others.They're all modern high oxygen materials that don't dry out so easily too - healthier for your eyes and way more comfortable.

If the lens is moving around it generally means it doesn't fit properly - and a lot of astigmatism lenses only come in one size - you need to be fittedwith something different. It's not too difficult if you take the time to do it.

Originally Posted by rocafella kidd

i use acuvue oasis i have a slight astigmatism on one of my eyes.. i usually carry a bottle of visine around.. but since i got the new acuvue i have had no problems whatsoever.. they feel good, and dont dry out.. they're on from 735 am to about 12 am when i go to sleep... fell asleep in them once and woke up like nothing the next morning which is amazing
smile.gif

The Oasys and Advance are both flexible wear so sleeping them for one night is absolutely fine - more than that doesn't work as they aren't breathableenough. Handy if you like to go out at the weekend or just nap in your lenses.

Originally Posted by kdawg

Originally Posted by rocafella kidd

i use acuvue oasis i have a slight astigmatism on one of my eyes.. i usually carry a bottle of visine around.. but since i got the new acuvue i have had no problems whatsoever.. they feel good, and dont dry out.. they're on from 735 am to about 12 am when i go to sleep... fell asleep in them once and woke up like nothing the next morning which is amazing
smile.gif

The Oasys and Advance are both flexible wear so sleeping them for one night is absolutely fine - more than that doesn't work as they aren't breathable enough. Handy if you like to go out at the weekend or just nap in your lenses.

I most definitely Agree100% fully slept in them once and it was due to the fact i was out and about and I don't recommend it as a long term thing.. justthought it was really cool since my previous contact lenses felt like rocks after a few hours of sleep

Biofinity Toric since about August. Took about a week or two to get used since I was new to contact lenses, but I'm pretty happy with them.

1-Day Acuvue for Astigmatism. I'm a real *@+@# when it comes to lenses, really sensitive eyes
laugh.gif

These work like a charm, absolutely no complaints. I usually get 3 * 12 hour days out of 1 pair without any discomfort

Hey Kdawg, sometimes I nap in my Acuvue Oasys and one time I wore the lenses for a month straight. Now that I look back it was a really dumb decision by me.Now I follow the proper procedure, but I'm not sure if I have corneal neovascularization. I have some blood vessels in my eye but they aren't reallynoticeable. Is there anything I can do, or do I just stop wearing contact lenses.

You shouldn't have any problems wearing the Oasys (or any other silicon lens) as they let more than enough oxygen through for daily wear - just not forextended wear.

Did you leave them in for the whole month? Probably wouldn't cause a huge problem - neovascularization takes months to develop usually - even with the oldlow oxygen lenses. Just be sensible from now on and it shouldn't change at all - I barely see it nowadays as the modern lenses are almost like wearing nolenses at all.

Acuvue 2 are garbage too. It's 2010 - time to move to something modern. They were superceded about 8 years ago.

I'm using Acuvue Oasys, as well. They're pretty damn comfortable.

kdawg, I was told by my optometrist that I should only wear my contacts 5 of every 7 days and wear my glasses onthose other 2 days. Reason is so I can let my eyes breathe. Now you're saying that Acuvue Oasys is advanced and is more breathable than older contactlenses. Does the same still hold true for Acuvue Oasys where I need to take days off from the contacts and just wear my glasses? Thanks.

Oh, and if it matters, I'm one to take naps in the middle of the day with my contacts on. Not every day, but occasionally.

k. iv'e been eyeing the acuvue oasys for a while. ever since i had this problem.

gonna try to see if i can get a sample of the biofinity as well.

thanks NT & Kdawg! always a great source of info.

Originally Posted by kdawg

You shouldn't have any problems wearing the Oasys (or any other silicon lens) as they let more than enough oxygen through for daily wear - just not for extended wear.

Did you leave them in for the whole month? Probably wouldn't cause a huge problem - neovascularization takes months to develop usually - even with the old low oxygen lenses. Just be sensible from now on and it shouldn't change at all - I barely see it nowadays as the modern lenses are almost like wearing no lenses at all.
Thanks for the answer
smile.gif
, I took them out every day.

I used to use Acuvue Advance for astigmatism. Now I'm on Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

kdawg, I was told by my optometrist that I should only wear my contacts 5 of every 7 days and wear my glasses on those other 2 days. Reason is so I can let my eyes breathe. Now you're saying that Acuvue Oasys is advanced and is more breathable than older contact lenses. Does the same still hold true for Acuvue Oasys where I need to take days off from the contacts and just wear my glasses? Thanks.
No, with the new lenses you can wear them 7 days a week 18 hours a day and they don't cause any problems (unless you get an infection orsomething).

A day off occasionally is nice but it's not really necessary nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom