Cops searching without a warrant..

Let's say one of my boys(Latarion) threatens another guy(Chris) with a gun for some car parts. One of Chris' friends tells a cop about it and the next thing you know the cop goes to Latarion's house at night and knocks the door down searching for a gun. In the process he finds about 10g of coke on a counter. Latarion ends up getting arrested with robbery along with drug possession. 
Doesn't the cop need a warrant to search? Is my boy out of luck now or will all this get thrown out because the cop didn't have cause? How would the cop even back himself up with going in without a warrant?

Let's say one of my boys(Latarion) threatens another guy(Chris) with a gun for some car parts. One of Chris' friends tells a cop about it and the next thing you know the cop goes to Latarion's house at night and knocks the door down searching for a gun. In the process he finds about 10g of coke on a counter. Latarion ends up getting arrested with robbery along with drug possession. 
Doesn't the cop need a warrant to search? Is my boy out of luck now or will all this get thrown out because the cop didn't have cause? How would the cop even back himself up with going in without a warrant?

Originally Posted by Raylon22

Grounds for a warrant. It ain't that hard to obtain a warrant from a Judge. Especially when guns and drugs are involved.

Do you know for a fact the cops didn't have a warrant? Or are you assuming they didn't because they didn't announce it?

Originally Posted by Raylon22

Grounds for a warrant. It ain't that hard to obtain a warrant from a Judge. Especially when guns and drugs are involved.

Do you know for a fact the cops didn't have a warrant? Or are you assuming they didn't because they didn't announce it?

I don't think he can just knock the door down and search. If he didn't find the gun and Latarian wasn't stupid as hell and leaving coke on the counter he could sue. But now i think hes screwed.

But don't listen to me, I have no idea what i'm talking about. seriously.

I don't think he can just knock the door down and search. If he didn't find the gun and Latarian wasn't stupid as hell and leaving coke on the counter he could sue. But now i think hes screwed.

But don't listen to me, I have no idea what i'm talking about. seriously.

a gun is probable cause to search but how much time elapsed between when Latarion threatened Chris with the gun and when the cop actually went to his home to search? If it wasn't immediate then a warrant is required, unless like everyone else said Latarion voluntary let him in which is consent to a search

a gun is probable cause to search but how much time elapsed between when Latarion threatened Chris with the gun and when the cop actually went to his home to search? If it wasn't immediate then a warrant is required, unless like everyone else said Latarion voluntary let him in which is consent to a search

Latarion

16255969.jpg

- Did the confrontation between Latarion and Chris occur in the day? You make it seem that way when you say the cops searched at night.
- Were the cops looking for a gun or the car parts? If they're looking for a gun then the "robbery" never occurred, correct? If they're looking for car parts then robbery did transpire.

At any rate I still believe a warrant is required.

- Did the confrontation between Latarion and Chris occur in the day? You make it seem that way when you say the cops searched at night.
- Were the cops looking for a gun or the car parts? If they're looking for a gun then the "robbery" never occurred, correct? If they're looking for car parts then robbery did transpire.

At any rate I still believe a warrant is required.

- A warrant would be required for them to come in, it is your house and ruled a place of privacy. Now if he let them in voluntarily then it's on him

- The coke was in plain sight and even if they didn't have a warrant but he let them in, he is still screwed. Cops can see something in plain sight and get you for it.

CJS major FTW

- A warrant would be required for them to come in, it is your house and ruled a place of privacy. Now if he let them in voluntarily then it's on him

- The coke was in plain sight and even if they didn't have a warrant but he let them in, he is still screwed. Cops can see something in plain sight and get you for it.

CJS major FTW

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

They don't need a warrant if you let them in.

This. But I don't think he can be charged for the coke though, Just the gun.

I was watching First 48 and cops were looking for a murder, they found some Marijuana on some dude and they let him go, They just told him "We're here looking for a murder not a drug dealer, we won't turn you in, we just need your help to solve this case."
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

They don't need a warrant if you let them in.

This. But I don't think he can be charged for the coke though, Just the gun.

I was watching First 48 and cops were looking for a murder, they found some Marijuana on some dude and they let him go, They just told him "We're here looking for a murder not a drug dealer, we won't turn you in, we just need your help to solve this case."
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

I thought it they had the warrant for the gun, they couldnt use the drugs in court since they didnt have the warrant to be searching for drugs?

Back
Top Bottom