Cormega aka Mega Montana Top 5 Dead Or Alive?

Yea I wouldn't say Mega is nicer than GRap. But I've heard much more from Mega than GRap, and
I feel like I could throw on Mega anytime of day, while I have to be in some certain type of mood
to listen to GRap.

Originally Posted by red mpls

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Cory is definitely in my Top 10 favorite MCs of all time, and The Realness and The True Meaning are absolute classics in my opinion and two of my 15-20 favorite albums ever... but I definitely wouldn't consider him anywhere near the Top 10 greatest MCs of all time.

That being said, two things he blazed the trail for but rarely if ever gets any credit for:

1.  Releasing a mixtape prior to releasing an album to build momentum for a release

2.  Going from a major record label to going independent
AZ did both of those things first... SOSA mixtape going to his motown debut.

Negative on both counts.
name da cormega mixtape that dropped before SOSA.

laugh.gif
dudes are reckless with the word "classic".  Cormega has zero classics.  None.  Zilch.  And dudes want to say he's better than Uncle L?  Or 50?  Those are probably the same guys who say stuff like Lupe is top 5.  Lyrics are not the only thing in rap.  You have to have a whole bunch of other things to be a top 5 contender.

Originally Posted by Heshua

laugh.gif
dudes are reckless with the word "classic".  Cormega has zero classics.  None.  Zilch.  And dudes want to say he's better than Uncle L?  Or 50?  Those are probably the same guys who say stuff like Lupe is top 5.  Lyrics are not the only thing in rap.  You have to have a whole bunch of other things to be a top 5 contender.

uh no, i would never say lupe is top 5. its called an opinion. and i said the last 10 or so years, seeing as when megas 2 CLASSICS!!!!! dropped

laugh.gif
dudes are reckless with the word "classic".  Cormega has zero classics.  None.  Zilch.  
this - AND I LIKE CORMEGA!
I even got his album with Lake sitting in my car, RETAIL, not bootlegged 
laugh.gif

Negative on both counts.

The Montana Way... 1997
just read about it, i stand corrected...however he did it outta desperation cuz he was on da def jam shelf..it wasn't building up for a project.

Alright this post definitively stirred up some s**t.
People saying he has no classics? All his music is quality material imo he has 3-4 classics.
I have never even heard a bad record by Mega, can you say that about the artists your comparing him to?
People in here that are hating on him need to lightened up (probably Nas fan boys) and listen to his music.
I get hate for putting Rakim as a notable but you got people in here writing about T.I. in the the top 5... smh.

my prob wit OP is his whole premise is off...cormega isnt from da 2000's era...he's from da 90's.... da testament was supposed to be his Debut on Def jam

after Nas dropped it was written and da firm album. beef wit steve stoute made da label shelf his joint till he gots da rights for it back.
He spent most of the 90s in jail.
He was featured on a record in the late 80s as well.
The Firm group project was terrible because Mega was thrown out of the group for out shinning Nas.
The couple songs that were released that had Cormega on them before the album came out were dope.

Originally Posted by Armen594

not even in the top 50

this. and I like mega. you fools need to chill with the effusive appreciation threads every time you start feeling someone hard. =.

The Montana Way... 1997
just read about it, i stand corrected...however he did it outta desperation cuz he was on da def jam shelf..it wasn't building up for a project.

From what I understand it was basically a move to build anticipation and momentum for The Testament to basically force Def Jam's hand to release it.  So in that sense, it definitely was building up for a project.

Not that it worked though...
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Thread/.

Originally Posted by torontokid23

my prob wit OP is his whole premise is off...cormega isnt from da 2000's era...he's from da 90's.... da testament was supposed to be his Debut on Def jam

after Nas dropped it was written and da firm album. beef wit steve stoute made da label shelf his joint till he gots da rights for it back.
The Firm group project was terrible because Mega was thrown out of the group for out shinning Nas.
The couple songs that were released that had Cormega on them before the album came out were dope.

outshined nas!? whoa, i wouldn't go as far as saying that. i dont agree with ninjahood at anything but even he would agree thats a stretch.

only 1 time i heard nas get outshined and that was on john blaze when puns verse came on.

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

Originally Posted by torontokid23

outshined nas!? whoa, i wouldn't go as far as saying that. i dont agree with ninjahood at anything but even he would agree thats a stretch.

only 1 time i heard nas get outshined and that was on john blaze when puns verse came on.

Delivery counts for a lot in my book, and Mega's delivery is weaksauce at best. Is he a top 20 lyricist?, probably. But you got to command the mic in order to be considered an all timer.

Pac ain't top 100 lyrically, but his delivery and presence on the mic resonated with people. LL had bars for the mid-late 80's, but his delivery and adaptability allowed him to continue to drop bombs 10 years later.

Mega has none of that, he's just a spitter. What's the difference between him and Canibus?

Back
Top Bottom