Could Somebody explain to me how the "CASH FOR CLUNKERS" works

nerd.gif

Your vehicle must be less than 25 years old on the trade-in date
Only purchase or lease of new vehicles qualify
Generally, trade-in vehicles must get 18 or less MPG (some very large pick-up trucks and cargo vans have different requirements)
Trade-in vehicles must be registered and insured continuously for the full year preceding the trade-in
You don't need a voucher, dealers will apply a credit at purchase
Program runs through Nov 1, 2009 or when the funds are exhausted, whichever comes first.
The program requires the scrapping of your eligible trade-in vehicle, and that the dealer disclose to you an estimate of the scrap value of your trade-in. Thescrap value, however minimal, will be in addition to the rebate, and not in place of the rebate.

www.cars.gov

umm if you own a car that is pretty much worthless and you wouldnt get a dime to trade in, they will either give you 3500 or 4500 as a trade in value but onlydepending if the car you buy has better gas mileage.

Basically you go to cars.gov to see if your car is even eligible with the 18 "combined" mpg. It's a waste if you owe over say 7000 on yourcurrent vehicle. Just for the simple fact you don't have a trade in value higher than 4500. The dealership will not give you a cent over that 4500 even ifyou pulled up in a maybach. The thing is you're still eligible for any rebates the dealership is offering on the new car. To me it's a gimmick unlessyou owe absolutely nothing on you gas guzzler.

Question, is that combined mpg "combined" for highway plus city?

I'm looking to get rid of my Blazer and it gets 13 city and 17 hwy. Sounded like the combined score of "20" means I dont fall in line. But notsure.

Back
Top Bottom