Covid-19 Essential Workers Check-in Thread

Work at the City of Oakland in the Finance department. We're considered 'essential'. Wife is an RN and she's even more essential. We're both just trying to be diligent about washing our hands and not letting the kids touch us when we get home from work. We make sure we shower first before we do anything. we go straight to the bathroom and shower. I'm telecommuting for the most part and only go into the office twice a week while she works fri-mon.

Be safe our there ya'll.....

I work for a municipality as an environmental inspector. I am still out in these streets.

- Clinical Lab at Stanford for 16 years. We test at least 1000 - 1500 a day for COVID-19 the last previous days and the volume went down to 700-800 as of yesterday. We’re one of the first hospitals to test for NCOV.
Thank God, Kaiser and other facilities stopped sending samples to us and starts running their own test. I basically call and give out the results to facilities, RNs and MDs.
Lately the positives did dropped in numbers but our Virologists told us to prepare for next week as we might get more samples coming.
- No traffic for my commute but I work swing shift so it doesn’t really matter.
-No hazard pay or bonus but they offer a lot of overtime and give us free food every day.
- I’ve heard yesterday that they might finally test us for COVID, but we’re still crossing our fingers.🤷‍♂️

Feel like I'm getting screwed. Out working a non essential essential job barely getting full time while people are getting 600+ a week to stay home.

I'm supposed to be happy I still have a job tho right?

Truck Driver here, I hate working right now and I’m scared everytime I go out on the road and make my deliveries. But I have to work and make a living for my family. I do like that I am I guess supplying the needs of the city I live in and makes me feel good in that sense. Just hate the fact that I could be exposing myself and family to this virus.

I manage a few branches for a small credit union in Washington. Really weird time. Lobbies are closed for appointments only, drive up locations available for normal banking. Morale is ok, but I can see why people are concerned and worried to come to work. Hard to wrap your head around our current environment. Big up's to all the other folks getting up and trying to make the day best they can. No comparison to first responders or health care workers but this **** isn't fun, that's for sure.

Thanks for all the sacrifices you guys and gals do, whoever you are, whatever you do, you’re appreciated and I just wanna show my gratitude for everyone. Stay safe

RE: Essential Workers HERO FUND

the essential worker i sit next to everyday....the conservative, had this to say about it:

It sounds good, but I think we already went overboard with the 2.2 trillion. Not sure the total on this, but it will be a large amount. The other thing is where does the money come from?

Overall taxes will be down this year and I do not want a tax increase. Just printing more money is not a good idea as it will just devalue the dollar.

As much as it would be nice to have, it just is not practical.

Hanging in there, workload has been on the decline for a couple of weeks now, critical vented patients have either died (most of them) or been transfer to more equipped facilities, admissions and intubations have slowed down, stay at home has worked really well for our city, but we all fear a second wave is imminent because people of NY won’t know how to wean themselves off the quarantine and will go crazy the second things open back up..

I work for the city doing street maintenance. Everyone is a bit freaked out, but morale is good. We’re getting our temps checked every morning before we hit the streets by local nurses. Some idiot from the sewers department showed up with a temp of 104 and everyone roasted that fool. My only gripe is they haven’t provided masks, but for the most part everyone has their own personal protective gear so it’s not THAT big of a deal. All our trucks have bleach wipes, hand sanitizer, and bleach/water squirt bottles to wipe the trucks down after our shifts. At the moment I’m part time, Mon/Tues 2/10s, but all the full timers got rolled back to 3/12s (normally 4/10s) and getting the last 4hrs covered by the city, so I give them props for looking out on that. 4hrs isn’t much, but it’s something.

Corrections
Rikers island
Rotating schedule. 4 days on 2 days off.
Up to 16 hours a day.

Wife and kids are home safe where they should be.

How have things been in the DOC in NY? In MA it's starting to get pretty rough.

grocery store stocker
$2 /hr on top of regular pay
Drive is super easy but it’s always like that
We’re all salty considering how exposed we are to the public, customers all seem to not give a **** about social distancing, management/corporate don’t give a **** about our safety(heard shady **** from my union rep when he talked to corporate about the Covid situation) but we’re still trying to stay positive lol
I would prefer to be at home due to my asthma(doctor told me as long as my asthma is controlled and doesn’t get worse I’m okay to work) i am happy I’m still working but still shook :lol:

Stay safe Ube Ube and thank you for doing what you do.

You ain't lying about the distancing. Lady physically brushed by me while i was getting eggs, while I'm wearing a mask, gloves, and the PA is loudly playing "the CDC recommends a maintaining a distance of 6 feet between one another" on a loop. Part of me wanted to laugh. Part of me wanted to knock this chick's jaw smooth off her face and into the next aisle.

Stay safe Ube Ube and thank you for doing what you do.

You ain't lying about the distancing. Lady physically brushed by me while i was getting eggs, while I'm wearing a mask, gloves, and the PA is loudly playing "the CDC recommends a maintaining a distance of 6 feet between one another" on a loop. Part of me wanted to laugh. Part of me wanted to knocked this chick's jaw smooth off her face and into the next aisle.
where are you from?
people have been super respectful round my way. cats even ask if it's ok to ride in the same elevator in my apartment building

Reactions: Ube
where are you from?
people have been super respectful round my way. cats even ask if it's ok to ride in the same elevator in my apartment building

Boston area. Most folks are here too, but there's also your fair share of dummies.

Unfortunately I find myself walking around with an "unfriendly" vibe until folks get the hint.

I was going grocery shopping 1x per week. Now I'm trying to do every other.

Back
Top Bottom