Cracking Question Due To Age

I wanted to know if anyone else has a pair of kicks that is at least 9-11 years old and deadstock? The reason I ask is because recently I wore my Nike Flight 89's last week that were deadstock that crumbled to pieces from 1999. I have some Nike Flightposite SC's Metallic Purple (630357 551) from 1999 that I was intending to wear and wondered if I'll have the same results. I'm debating if I should attempt to wear them or sell them to a collector on Ebay or here on Niketalk. Any advice someone has would be appreciated.

I wanted to know if anyone else has a pair of kicks that is at least 9-11 years old and deadstock? The reason I ask is because recently I wore my Nike Flight 89's last week that were deadstock that crumbled to pieces from 1999. I have some Nike Flightposite SC's Metallic Purple (630357 551) from 1999 that I was intending to wear and wondered if I'll have the same results. I'm debating if I should attempt to wear them or sell them to a collector on Ebay or here on Niketalk. Any advice someone has would be appreciated.

i say sell them. if they are totally ds they will crumble but if uve had them in rotation from time to time they should be ok

i say sell them. if they are totally ds they will crumble but if uve had them in rotation from time to time they should be ok

It depends

DS kicks or kicks you don't wear often, the glue weakens, air bubbles become cloudy or they crumble. That's why you might as well wear your kicks.

With those Flightposites, the only problem you'll have is the glue. My boy had his OG ones and the sole started coming off.

It depends

DS kicks or kicks you don't wear often, the glue weakens, air bubbles become cloudy or they crumble. That's why you might as well wear your kicks.

With those Flightposites, the only problem you'll have is the glue. My boy had his OG ones and the sole started coming off.

I appreciate the insight. I spent over 10 years in the military and couldn't wear a lot of my kicks so I have a ton of stuff that's deadstock that I'm trying to break in or get rid of or wear. I loved my Flight 89's and after wearing them for a couple of hours and seeing them crumble away I said "never again". That was roughly $90.00 down the drain. I'll go ahead and sell them. Thanks again.

I appreciate the insight. I spent over 10 years in the military and couldn't wear a lot of my kicks so I have a ton of stuff that's deadstock that I'm trying to break in or get rid of or wear. I loved my Flight 89's and after wearing them for a couple of hours and seeing them crumble away I said "never again". That was roughly $90.00 down the drain. I'll go ahead and sell them. Thanks again.

Its not really about the age of a shoe, its more the materials and storage.

NO OG AJ1 will crumble. why? they have a solid rubber midsole not a polyurethane midsole like AJs 2-9 that are known to fall apart.

I dont know the specifics, but I know where/how you store shoes can affect hold of the glue. a couple of my OG XIIIs have come unglued, of course a shoe repair shop can re-glue them.

Its not really about the age of a shoe, its more the materials and storage.

NO OG AJ1 will crumble. why? they have a solid rubber midsole not a polyurethane midsole like AJs 2-9 that are known to fall apart.

I dont know the specifics, but I know where/how you store shoes can affect hold of the glue. a couple of my OG XIIIs have come unglued, of course a shoe repair shop can re-glue them.

It really all depends on the make and model of the shoe. Possibly even how it was stored.. The shoes with the visible air sole in the heel seem more prone to cracking. As if air can leak into the middle of the midsole and do damage from the inside out. Take your Jordan IV for example. Crumbling seems to happen near the airbag in the rear of the shoe on the 99 retros. Don't the flight 89s have a jordan III midsole?

I own some older bo jackson sc trainer retros dating back to 1998. They were all bought used within the past 5 years so it's hard to say how or why they are still holding up to this day. They have the visible airbag in the rear. I had a 1997 sc trainer raider that started showing signs of crumbling. That pair appeared to be barely used before I purchased it. So I had one casuality out of 4 other survivors with nothing seemingly different about them.

I've unDSed 3-4 2000 air trainers the past few months/years, and they are doing okay. They have a straight foam midsole though with no visible air. Lots of glue issues though, like the midsole coming undone from the upper. but again, its not every shoe at the same time, or in the same place. The biggest factor I've seen with 10 year old shoes is glue. If that's your only issue on the older shoes you own, you should be okay. I would avoid shoes with visible air bags in the back though. They just seem like nothing but trouble. But a lot of other shoes should be fine.

It really all depends on the make and model of the shoe. Possibly even how it was stored.. The shoes with the visible air sole in the heel seem more prone to cracking. As if air can leak into the middle of the midsole and do damage from the inside out. Take your Jordan IV for example. Crumbling seems to happen near the airbag in the rear of the shoe on the 99 retros. Don't the flight 89s have a jordan III midsole?

I own some older bo jackson sc trainer retros dating back to 1998. They were all bought used within the past 5 years so it's hard to say how or why they are still holding up to this day. They have the visible airbag in the rear. I had a 1997 sc trainer raider that started showing signs of crumbling. That pair appeared to be barely used before I purchased it. So I had one casuality out of 4 other survivors with nothing seemingly different about them.

I've unDSed 3-4 2000 air trainers the past few months/years, and they are doing okay. They have a straight foam midsole though with no visible air. Lots of glue issues though, like the midsole coming undone from the upper. but again, its not every shoe at the same time, or in the same place. The biggest factor I've seen with 10 year old shoes is glue. If that's your only issue on the older shoes you own, you should be okay. I would avoid shoes with visible air bags in the back though. They just seem like nothing but trouble. But a lot of other shoes should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom