Credit Card

I'm wondering if I'm throwing good money after bad by paying down my mortgage so quickly. If I can pay it off before anything drastic happens and I can have my title in-hand, I'll be cool.
even if your house doesn't appreciate much over time... there' something to be said for the peace of mind that you get when don't owea mortgage/loan anymore.

Dirtylicious wrote:
I'm wondering if I'm throwing good money after bad by paying down my mortgage so quickly. If I can pay it off before anything drastic happens and I can have my title in-hand, I'll be cool.
even if your house doesn't appreciate much over time... there' something to be said for the peace of mind that you get when don't owe a mortgage/loan anymore.

This is the truth. Same with car payments and anything else you're making payments on. There are few things as nice as looking at your finances andknowing that it's all yours.

However, if you have multiple sources of debt you may want to compare interest rates and prioritize. If you have an extra couple of hundred dollars you wantto throw at some debt, it makes more sense to put it toward credit card debt (which effectively grows at about 40% per year plus fees) instead of student loandebt (which is usually in the neighborhood of 5%). Mortgages and car loans are probably in the 5-10% range.

after seeing some of the stories on nt about credit cards i dont think i'll ever get one..i'd end up getting wreckless..buy something expensive as helland have a ton of cc debt...

Originally Posted by LAzianBoi

YOU MAD? ^

must suck being broke huh
roll.gif

Minutes after dude just claimed he filed for bankruptcy
roll.gif

Like i've said before you can have a CC and be responsible, before I had mine I was burning thru cash and now I have flexibility (that doesn't meanrack up 30k in debt). Just always pay A LOT more than the minimum.

I was watching a documentary on TV last week i forget the name...but they basically went into depth about how these credit card companies make their money andwhy they target who they target...

These $%!%%% is really hungry...they mainly target college students or unemplyed young people who aren't students...because they know they'll go on aspending spree and with no job it's harder to repay back the debt...therefore leading towards more debt...

They also went in depth about mistakes and misprints on paperwork...so make sure all your info on paperwork is correct....because if theirs a mistake..bestbelieve their not going to fix it...they purposely do that...so you can be screwed even more...

Originally Posted by The Kid Fiasco

thats ok.. i use to be have $10,253 in debt... i just filed bankruptsy.. now i just live off welfare.. FTW

:]
Dang. how old are you?

19... i was not being serious.
laugh.gif

but i was implying thats how majority of American now-a-days do it..
living off unemployed checks and welfare
or file bankrubtcy and have the bank deal with it

and i know dis prob have nothing to with dis topic.. but god danmit i get piss when i see a poor +@* family with like 8 kids and for all the wrong reasons. sigh*

Originally Posted by The Kid Fiasco

thats ok.. i use to be have $10,253 in debt... i just filed bankruptsy.. now i just live off welfare.. FTW

Dang. how old are you?

19... i was not being serious.
laugh.gif

but i was implying thats how majority of American now-a-days do it..
living off unemployed checks and welfare
or file bankrubtcy and have the bank deal with it

and i know dis prob have nothing to with dis topic.. but god danmit i get piss when i see a poor +@* family with like 8 kids and for all the wrong reasons. sigh*

laugh.gif
. nice. yeah i agree. a crooked out family with dozen kids at thegrocery store
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

yeah i have a credit card but i pay it off every month. I have learned from my parents that if you spend what you dont have to buy a luxury item you are goingto regret it in the long run. I only buy what i need and keep my spending to a minimum each month.

Originally Posted by Boilermaker X

Dirtylicious wrote:
even if your house doesn't appreciate much over time... there' something to be said for the peace of mind that you get when don't owe a mortgage/loan anymore.

This is the truth. Same with car payments and anything else you're making payments on. There are few things as nice as looking at your finances and knowing that it's all yours.

Unless you're very young or something, I don't see the need to finance a car. That seems like a sure indication that you're buyingmore than you can really afford.

I do not even want to talk about my student loans. There are way too many digits on that.

Work on the corner ull make ur money back quick. Ill be ur manager. I get 100% of the cut n you get what's left over.
smile.gif

Credit cards debt has a way of sneaking up on you if you are not careful. Trust me I know from expierience. If you can't afford to pay for it with cashchances are you shouldn't be buying that item

To the OP: Why not just take out student loans? Don't they compound at a much lower rate then credit cards? And I'm pretty sure the interestdoesn't start accumulating until you are no longer a current member of that university? Someone explain this to me... as I'm going to be in debt withmy current university and grad school for a long time.

laugh.gif
mannnnnn. I got about 900 dollars of debt right now which I'm easily going to pay off this month. I got 3 credit cards(I'm new to cc) and lemmetell you I learned A LOT in 08'. Im glad its a new yr with a fresh start. I will not be making the same stupid decisions I made before.....eff that. Italmost seems unreal when you purchase items with a cc...because the cash is not coming out of your pocket at the moment...but you'll pay later.....and ifnot promptly...they'll KILL you with fees...etc...good luck my dude...I hope you learned a lesson...and you keep your nose clean for 09...its a freshstart!!!

WOW. I hope dude is playing. That's nothing to be proud about.

its addicting like buffalo wings guys.

seriously i love buffalo wings spicy jawnx.

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

Originally Posted by kix4kix

You are the reason we are in a recession.

Spend what you have, I never got why people don't get that.

Our entire economy is based of spending what we don't have. Loans from people who loaned from people loaned from people who printed out pieces of paper with no true value. To make things worse, today more "money" is stored in servers than in safes. So if everybody asked for their money cash-in-hand, it would be impossible to do. So in the VERY EXTREME case that all major banks went under, we would quickly realize that we're all pretty much living on credit.

For the OP, good job on trying to stop the problem before it raveled out of control. I was $25,000+ in credit card debt. The funny part is I was still allowed to get a loan for a house, then valued at $246,000, while I owed 25k on the cards. Today, I'm in Iraq as a contractor and very much out of credit card debt and I'm a year ahead on my mortgage with significant principle paid down. I'm lucky, but I wasn't going to be one of the many who fell into the trap that the bank tried to put me in.* But in our nation's current financial situation, I'm wondering if I'm throwing good money after bad by paying down my mortgage so quickly. If I can pay it off before anything drastic happens and I can have my title in-hand, I'll be cool.

Anyway, now I pretty much only use my Amex Gold card because it has to be paid off in-full, monthly (set to auto-pay directly from my checking account). So I get some rewards and the feeling of using a credit card while knowing that I can't get out of control with it.

*(There's no way in hell i should have qualified for that loan. This is more of why we are in a recession)

What's your house worth now and how much (as a percentage and average monthly payment) have you paid off? Have you tried to get your home reappraised andyour loan restructured?

I don't know the specifics of your case but there are people out there who bought overpriced homes and won't see those prices again for at least 20-30years (in real terms). In reality, they're paying 10, 20, or even 30% more for a home and literally throwing money away.
I understand that a credit hit will be taken but it literally makes no sense to be throwing so much money away unless one plans to live in that home till death(and even then that is questionable).

If i was one of these folks and the lender didn't reappraise the home and underwrite a new mortgage based on the home's present value, I'd justlet the entity foreclose on my home and go rent (rent's are dropping across the nation) for a few years. All the while repairing the hit taken by my creditand waiting for home prices to hit their bottoms.

If your home has depreciated substantially (10%+) I'd give a call to your mortgage holder and demand a (fair) reappraisal and a restructuring (refi) of theloan based on the realistic amount that the home is worth or else you leave. It's worth a shot whether you carry out that threat or not. It depends on yourunderwriter and whether they are in a bad position financially. If they are, you have a good shot at getting what you want (and are entitled too).

The present scheme is refinancing at a lower rate but what the hell does that matter when the borrower paid 700k for a home but it's only worth 400k now? Instead of throwing away 1m over the 30 years now the borrower will 'only' throw away 600k (I pulled the no.'s out of my %+%. you get the gistthough.
laugh.gif
).

Back
Top Bottom