Damn all these Rappers must be rich...

What happended to cats talking about the struggle ?

It`s like if you mention being broke or enduring a struggle , you're worthless.

Which cats still spit the real ? Talk to urban youth ?

Pick at socio-economical stuff ...

I know these lames riding around in rented whips and hamster fur`s aint caking ...

(And yes i know styles p .)

One of the few cats in the game right now still reppin' the come up is Joell Ortiz. He seem like the type that will still go in half wit' you on aKennedey Fried Chicken box combo & a couple of City Club sodas. That's why I stay reppin' him because he aint like the majority of these glossyindustry dudes.....

People don't want to hear music about being broke...they want songs thats gonna inspire them to get their cake up

(lil duffel bag boy, make it rain, we fly high)

Immortal Technique
Canibus
Jeru The DMAJA
All the old Native Tongues stuff like De La, Tribe, Common and them aren't on the fly %+%$.
Aren't really any new rappers that ra about being broke, besided Saigon from what I've heard.

Basically any dudes talkin about the struggle are stugglin in the music biz and the dudes talkin bout being rich are tryin to make the few scraps they can. Imean you know they're out there just dont expect to hear from em on a mainstream level.

Shhh done changed.....again.

smokin.gif

smh.gif
Sad times in music. This is like the equivalent to the great depression

Wrd Star ... I totally agree on Joell , I`ve actually broke bread with dude a few times and those Block Royal dudes.

Dudes metinoed Native Tongues and Jeru etc...those are the obvious , I`m trying to see which New School dudes are doing this ...

Records were selling plenty when people related , I dont why it would change so drastically . Even the Suburban White kids like to hear the real gritty ,grimey ghetto stories . People liketo see others triumph .

Originally Posted by 75 Partly Cloudy

A day will come when talkin about "the struggle" will be the norm.

Soon.

I already feel its the norm with certain rappers dependin on what specific struggle Talib, Mos n Common cover that everytime they rap not to even mentiondudes like P Monch. The thing is it will never be popular. I mean look at where NaS is when you just take out songs this dude has done.

smokin.gif

Music's changing. From what I've heard in the submissions for the NT Mixtape, folks are moving back to a more hip-hop sound. Cats aint ballin in theirrhymes like they used to.

Word good post Send One.

I usually just go back and listen to music on my iPod when it was like this, but it's only so much you can listen to an album even if it's NaS, Jay, WUetc., but I never really get tired of Biggie his first album was the epitome of what you are talking about (to me at least).

I finally downloaded my first album, but I didn't know how to extract the RAR files, but then I learned that too. So I went with a album NT thought wasgood which was Blu & Exile, and they were talking about being broke on that album and not having a whip and sh..

I think this could be a great time for someone like a Joe Buddens, but not superstar status.

Oh yeah, I don't think I will ever buy another CD again unless it's really really good then I'll support it after downloading and listening first.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Putting In Work

Oh yeah, I don't think I will ever buy another CD again unless it's really really good then I'll support it after downloading and listening first.
smile.gif

Not to attack you directly but it's people like that that make it so hard for dudes to eat. If "Rapper A" is your dude then what's sohard about dropping $12 for a CD? You only going to buy it if "it's really really good"? I ain't gonna lie, I used to be the same way but Iswitched that up. Real talk, I bought more CD's in '07 than I did in my entire life
laugh.gif
. Artists don't get supported like they used to and it just goes back towhat [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]xBuddha Blessx[/color] said:

Originally Posted by xBuddha Blessx

Basically any dudes talkin about the struggle are stugglin in the music biz and the dudes talkin bout being rich are tryin to make the few scraps they can.

i dont see this as neccessarily right, it just depends upon what angle you are coming into the game from. I think it can be one sided both ways. Some artistsall they can do is talk about struggle and some all they can talk about is money. To be honest when you listen to good atrists they can speak well on bothsides. Personally it don't matter to me what your subject matter is as long as you smack it nail on the head in an interesting and exciting way. Joebuddens talks about the struggle alot, and to me he knocks it out the park, just like in many ways jeezy nails the whole trapper till I die mentality

end of the day as far as what these people buy or drive or anything else is whatever. Of course its fronting, but 90% of americas population is fronting at alltimes. I guess most rappers have to front because thats their job, thats what the MAJORITY or the consumers demand and even more so thats what the labelsDEMAND you sell. Before Rocafella gave Kanye West a chance to be different there was no room for his style, now you have rappers of that nature comnig out ofthe wood works. Its a good thing, but the way in which the corporate and cnosumer side of things pushes these ideas they can get stale fast, because its likeboom okay a NON-gangster rapper just went plat so every other label wants to go plat with their nerd rapper and plenty of consumers will try to hop on themeary so they can have the joy of saying, oh yeah I was on that other nerd rapper early blah blah blah.

Basically any dudes talkin about the struggle are stugglin in the music biz
exactly. if you're an established (i.e. wealthy) artist, it won't work for many reasons.
-once you've made it, you'll seem like a whiny-*** $$#+% if you talk about how hard you had it...when you're riding around in a Bentley these days
-once you've "made it" you lose that hunger, and you're not in that situation anymore
-if you try to go back to talking about the struggle, people will talk about how you don't live that lifestyle anymore and you'll get criticized for it(see: Jay's last album)

Saigon talks about those issues. Cormega still does. Budden does too, but more of an introspective thing and not so much from a societal point of view. i getwhat you're saying but there's still dudes out there who do.

Why I !+#@ with Common...

This is street ra-dio, for unsung heroes
Ridin in they regal, tryin to stay legal
My daughter found Nemo, I found the new primo
Yeah you know how we do, we do it for the people
And the struggles of the brothas and the folks
With lovers under dope, experiment to discover hopes
Scuffle for notes, the rougher I wrote, times were harder
Went from rocky starter to a voice of a martyr
Why white folks focus on dogs and yoga
While people on the low end tryin to ball and get over
Lyrics are like liquor for the fallen soldiers
From the bounce to the ounce, its all our culture
Everyday we hustlin, tryna get them custom rims
Law we ain't trustin them, thick broads we lust in them
Sick and tired of bunchin it, I look on the bus at them
When I see them struggling, I think how I'm touchin them
The People

Who doesnt rap about it is the better question? It's just not flooding the radio...that doesnt mean nobody is rapping about it at all.

two lines come to mind

"Bein broke is against my religion"weezy

"Hell yeah im frontin but YOU love it though"jay

Its not poppin right now to be broke an never was so dudes will front or fake it till they make it

Originally Posted by Putting In Work

Word good post Send One.

I finally downloaded my first album, but I didn't know how to extract the RAR files, but then I learned that too.

Did you use a program called "Windrar"?

thats what the MAJORITY or the consumers demand and even more so thats what the labels DEMAND you sell
Thats it right there.

The ppl in "the struggle" aint the target consumer anymore.

Basically the struggle is too close to reality for most cats to wanna hear nowadays. I see it as relatable music. You don't have to be at a poverty levelto relate. In actuality struggle music IS wut gave me some motivation for me to get crackin and do wut I had to (yes legally). And 75% of these NEW cats talkinbig money recklessly aint got more than you or I. Str8 up. Also dudes just aint creative anymore when doing this big money talk on records. I mean you know GRap wasn't rippin the Luciano family for bricks, doin the mega mansion thing but he created a believable image.

Back
Top Bottom