Dang, Frank Thomas "only" has 2,417 hits?

Anyone else think this hit machine was well past 3,000 by now?
nerd.gif
Iobviously havent been payin attention
laugh.gif

Was reading an article on him that said he's 40 yrs old already next month and is still nearly 600 hits away from the milestone and how hard itreally is to do.

Big Hurt obviously appreciated though...

Look at this 11-yr run:

1990 - .330 BA
1991 - .318 BA
1992 - .323 BA
1993 - .317 BA
1994 - .353 BA
1995 - .308 BA
1996 - .349 BA
1997 - .347 BA
1998 - .265 BA
1999 - .305 BA
2000 - .328 BA

thomasleaf.jpg

Dude was a beast (even though he hasn't and probably won't get to 3000 hits). It's going to hurt me seeing his 500th homerun on clips year afteryear since he did it against my Twins
frown.gif
. I heard he had a attitude problem in Chi-Townthough. I think there was a clip of one of the GMs saying "We won't miss that whiny baby" or something like that. His career is appreciatednonetheless.

Had no idea his BA's were that good

Never liked him, I was a Griffey kid..

But I did have his Zebra Reebok cleats

It is because he got so many walks....he is a great hitter but now that age and fatigue is slowing him down and the pitching is getting better it is hard forhim to put up those same numbers.

"The Big Hurt"
laugh.gif

Mid 90's was tight

Frank Thomas, Cecil Fiedler, Griffey, Bonds, Mo Vaughn, and Albert Belle...Those dude could crush the crap out of the ball. Steroids aside.

Originally Posted by FiNcH XX

the big hurt !!! best hitter in the mid 90s....bar none.
AMEN

Did it without juicing too...

And for the twins fan with the misquote, yes, he and Kenny Williams had some bad blood, but the organization has always luved him. There will be a statue ofhim in Comiskey soon after his retirement.

Even though I'm a Cubs I always a fan of Frank, but like Allen said...I was more of a Griffey kid.

And hes still better than Tony Gwynn.

look at his OB% and you will see why.

Better than Tony Gwynn at what?

Pure hitting? No way.

Getting on base? Sure.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

thomasleaf.jpg

i use to have that card, if im correct that was a rookie card?
eek.gif
laugh.gif

was worth around $55 wonder how much that goes for these days (probably much less)
also had that sammy sosa rookie the same year, oh sammy how could youfall so fast
frown.gif

but back to the topic, the big hurt was on his way to 3000 easily before all the nagging injuries. with 500 hrs, that guaranteed him a spot to cooperstown.

The reason he only has 2417 is the same reason why the Great one isnt at 3000 hits either. People were afraid to pitch to him.

He'd have many more hits if it weren't for this

[table][tr][td]SEASON[/td] [td]
trans.gif
[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td]
trans.gif
[/td] [td]G[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]2001[/td] [td] Chicago White Sox[/td] [td]20
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2004[/td] [td] Chicago White Sox[/td] [td]74[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2005[/td] [td] Chicago White Sox[/td] [td]34[/td] [/tr][/table]

Those three years he only played 128 games out of a possible 486.

That's 358 games missed - over two full seasons worth of games.

Now, imagine he would have gotten hits at his career pace = 1.07 hits / games played...

He'd have 383 more hits - and be around the 2,800 mark for his career.

Just shows how much longevity you need to have to even sniff 3,000. And to answer the above question, Frank Thomas is certainly hall of fame worthy, and Ibelieve will eventually get in. Not first ballot, though.

Originally Posted by dland24

The reason he only has 2417 is the same reason why the Great one isnt at 3000 hits either. People were afraid to pitch to him.
how many hits does Wayne Gretzky have?

Let me ask you guys this - do you think he is HOF worthy?
Definitely.

Can't remember the last time I heard Albert Belle's name lol. Makes you appreciate those who got to 3000 hits in their careers puts it in perspective.

Thomas is a lock for HOF. How long it will take him to get there is the question.

With that said.... He was one of the most feared hitters of his day. Has two MVPs, 500+ HR with 1700 RBIs, and still is over .300 career BA. And he came outwith zero whispers of juicing during a dirty era.

Another guy though you wish you could have seen more in the postseason....19 seasons he's played and has only particpated in 16 career postseason games.

Back
Top Bottom