DATA RECOVERY..Any Niketalkers have any tips or places you can recommend VOL smh

Long story short my external had stopped working over a year ago im just now after many of my own tries and other people i have met who work on computers have tried ive decided to just go with a data recovery place just looking for a good and fair one the problem is
when i plug the external hd in the computer(i have tried multiple) they all load the drive say its ready to go then i click my computer and its not there i tried switching drive letters everything nothin so here i am any advice tips stories
tired.gif

this may sound redundant, but have you tried swapping out the hard drive into another enclosure? I remember my hard drive when plugged in will show up, then it would automatically eject itself. I switch enclosures and it started working again.

yea its actually in a replacement case now i took it out the original cause it started not to read it then i bought this replacement case and it worked for a while now it reads it loads but doesnt show up in the my computer you think i should get another case?

Does the drive make a clicking sound at all when it spins? If so there's pretty much nothing you can do about it - mechanical failure.
What probably happend though (if the drive shows up on your computer) is the data itself is corrupted. Not much you can do.

Originally Posted by IYE2

Does the drive make a clicking sound at all when it spins? If so there's pretty much nothing you can do about it - mechanical failure.
What probably happend though (if the drive shows up on your computer) is the data itself is corrupted. Not much you can do.
no clicking noise at all and data can be saved and restored if there is mechanical damage the data recovery places can do it they just charge a arm and leg but know mines makes no sounds except the normal drive spinning sounds and the computer loads the drive it pops up saying usb ready i go to my computer and its not there
tired.gif

Originally Posted by snaggykicks

yea its actually in a replacement case now i took it out the original cause it started not to read it then i bought this replacement case and it worked for a while now it reads it loads but doesnt show up in the my computer you think i should get another case?
i say do it. get another enclosure, considering the replacement did work for a while. Does it read/write on other computers?

Originally Posted by retro23phan

i say do it. get another enclosure, considering the replacement did work for a while. Does it read/write on other computers?
No on other cpus it does the same it loads the drive says its good i go to the my computer to go into the drive and its not there
tired.gif
 but i havent thought to switch the case again so imma give that a try like you said i really dont wanna spend 800 plus on data recovery smh

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

Buy this OP

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

17-153-071-TS

I had a HD fail and it didn't work in a regular external enclosure either but after fiddling around it worked with this.
hmmm looks nice do you mind explaining how your hd failed? and ive actually seen some enclosures like this at best buy think imma get this one hopefully it works this would be the second time i had to switch case with this same drive

RIP your pockets.. they are going to go IN. but aside from that.. I'd try the linux live cd data recovery method. Your problem is similar to one I had, where the drive would show in the bios upond boot(not sure about yours), but would not sustain inself on the desktop.

I used the Live CD recovery method along with getdataback(software), combined with freezing the disc for 24 hours to recover items every other day. The HDD freezing method is tried and true, though most do feel its a myth. I can only speak for what worked in my case.

yea it does show in boot mode also the website i listed was featured on tech tv and actually has a number where people pic up and etc and its only 850 for recovery which is cheap compared to some oher places 1300 and up but what exactly does the freezing do? and where can i get those recovery programs?

thanks everyone for your help just tryna try all my options before i send it off hopefully there will be no need

After all else fails, www.krollontrack.com. The prices are up there, but I can vouch for their quality. I use them for my business on a regular basis. Check my sig if you're in the NYC area. I'll help you for free.

If a HD is clicking, is their any chance of recovery? A few years back my mom and dads HD went out and they had never backed up the pics of all their grand kids. 10 years of them growing up and it crushed them. My pops still has the HD in hopes that someday it will get fixed and I would love to go steal it and get all the pics recovered. They would be ecstatic..

yea it does show in boot mode also the website i listed was featured on tech tv and actually has a number where people pic up and etc and its only 850 for recovery which is cheap compared to some oher places 1300 and up but what exactly does the freezing do? and where can i get those recovery programs?

Freezing: http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux  Just a way to get the disc to spin.  Also, ahve you tried spinrite?  As always, YMMV on anything you find on the net.

I took mine to Frys, an electronics spot with a repair service, and they said they couldn't fix it.

I ended up taking it to Best Buy Geek Squad, and of course they ended up telling me it was gonna cost, what seemed to be their max amount to fix it. Which was something like 2,500 after all was said and done. I bit the bullet and ended up paying for it cause I desperately wanted all my files back, and I was able to write it off on taxes since it was related to my "business". Seriously feel like I got ripped though.

But ya, that sucked. I need to start having back ups of my backups, still been meaning to do that for my most important stuff.

Wack situation to be in, but I'm sure there's gotta be better options then the route I went.

Originally Posted by tree4twenty

If a HD is clicking, is their any chance of recovery? A few years back my mom and dads HD went out and they had never backed up the pics of all their grand kids. 10 years of them growing up and it crushed them. My pops still has the HD in hopes that someday it will get fixed and I would love to go steal it and get all the pics recovered. They would be ecstatic..

yes it can be recovered when it clicks(mine doesnt do that) but it can be just will cost you over 1000 dollars to get it done but for what u said its worth it especially for your grandparents

You should look into backing up your hard drives so this can be avoided next time it happens, if you haven't done so already.

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

You should look into backing up your hard drives so this can be avoided next time it happens, if you haven't done so already.

QFT x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000!!!!!!
make sure your backup's backup has a backup.
very serious.

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

QFT x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000!!!!!!
make sure your backup's backup has a backup.
very serious.
will do next time

Back
Top Bottom