DC no longer Chocolate City?

dacomeup

Supporter
Number of black D.C. residents plummets as majority status slips away
By Carol Morello and Dan Keating, Thursday, March 24, 3:44 PM

The number of African Americans residing in the District plummeted by more than 11 percent during the past decade, with blacks on the verge of losing their majority status in the city for the first time in half a century.

According to census statistics released Thursday, barely 50 percent of the District’s population was African American in 2010 — a remarkable shift in a place once nicknamed “Chocolate City.

Number of black D.C. residents plummets as majority status slips away
By Carol Morello and Dan Keating, Thursday, March 24, 3:44 PM

The number of African Americans residing in the District plummeted by more than 11 percent during the past decade, with blacks on the verge of losing their majority status in the city for the first time in half a century.

According to census statistics released Thursday, barely 50 percent of the District’s population was African American in 2010 — a remarkable shift in a place once nicknamed “Chocolate City.

DC has got bigger problems that go WELL beyond the dwindling number of blacks in the city....

as far as gentrification...you'll find that just about anywhere.

DC has got bigger problems that go WELL beyond the dwindling number of blacks in the city....

as far as gentrification...you'll find that just about anywhere.

I remember the David Chappelle stand-up talking about this, saying how much DC has changed. lol The whites were across the Potomac waiting for the blacks to leave.

I remember the David Chappelle stand-up talking about this, saying how much DC has changed. lol The whites were across the Potomac waiting for the blacks to leave.

Originally Posted by WaveyJonesLocker

It's that there AIDS.

indifferent.gif

I feel you DJ, but it's just sad because that has been DC's m.o. forever. Part of how people identify the city. However, you're right there are a lot of problems in that city that span beyond losing the black majority. A lot of these issues go hand in hand with having a less educated black population though. This is a nationwide issue though as well.

Originally Posted by WaveyJonesLocker

It's that there AIDS.

indifferent.gif

I feel you DJ, but it's just sad because that has been DC's m.o. forever. Part of how people identify the city. However, you're right there are a lot of problems in that city that span beyond losing the black majority. A lot of these issues go hand in hand with having a less educated black population though. This is a nationwide issue though as well.

Back
Top Bottom