DC NTers with EE degrees, where to find jobs?

I just received a BS in Electrical Engineering at George Mason, and it seems not having any internship experience is really hurting me. It also seems, that in order to land jobs with Lockheed and Booz Allen and contractors like that, you need to know someone that can get you in. So I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions or hook ups to help a brother(not based on race) out.

Look at companies in Richmond..SAIC is always hiring. That being said..buddy of mine with an EE works at niketown.. so crapshoot i guess

I was actually talking to someone about Booz Allen yesterday, I'm looking for another co-op.

I am not in DC but have a lot of friends there. I am a ME and an internship is pivotal in finding a job, it give you the upper hand. With that being said, you may look into relocation. There are tons of EE jobs around the country, but it might not be in an area you want. My best advice I can offer is look at jobs in other parts of the county. Almost all companies will move you there and take care of all those expenses. You gain the experience you need and in 3 to 5 years you will have the knowledge to work where ever in the world you please. Coming out of college sucks because most engineering jobs require mass amounts of expereince, so sometimes you cant be too picky.

Also, try government jobs they hire tons of engineers. Hope this helps.

I'm an EE in DC. Getting my Masters in EE right now.  Jobs are abundant in this area.  I don't know why you don't have any internships, that does hurt you.  It depends on where you want to focus.  Here is a list of agencies and companies that are always hiring entry level positions:

Government (Apply at USAJobs)
  • Department of Energy
  • Nuclear Regulatory Commision
  • NAVSea
  • Army Corps of Engineers
  • DoD
  • US Coast Guard
  • NAVFAC
  • Department of Homeland Security
Private
  • Pepco (wouldn't work here personally, heard bad things)
  • Northrop Gumman (moved their headquarters to nova last year if I recall correctly)
  • Boeing
  • Booz Allen
  • Lockheed Martin
  • Accenture
All I can think of for now.  If you have above a 3.0 then you should be able to get in somewhere.  Also, if you are not hittin up the career center at your school then you are doing yourself a disservice.  They have connections and look out for their alumni.  Get there today if you haven't been yet.

I WORK FOR POWELL ELECTRIC AND THEY ARE LOOKING FOR FEW ENTRY LEVEL ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS.

THE CATCH IS YOU WILL HAVE TO MOVE TO OHIO...

Thanks for the tips guys! I will also most likely be starting my MS in EE this next semester, just waiting for GMU to give their decision still. But I want to do that part time, while working full time to finally make some money. So yea, I'm hoping to find something in the DC/Nova area soon, I had an interview with Verizon FNS last month, but I guess it didn't go so well. I wish I had looked for an internship these past years, but I mostly spent my summers in Buffalo, NY playing basketball.

Back
Top Bottom