DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - The Penguin out 9/19 then every Sunday on MAX

Also great quote from Joaquin in the LA Times...

“ This movie requires a certain amount of participation from the audience,” Phoenix told The Times recently. “It’s up to you how you want to interpret it and experience it. It’s less you being kind of presented with the facts than you being presented with these possibilities.”

LA Times write up kind of nailed it for me actually...

This worked for me, but some people want to be fed everything- which is understandable as well.
But like I said before, this movie is right up my lane. Thought about and discussed this film over the
weekend. wow, what a straight MASTERPIECE.

Phoenix vanished into this role the same way Heath did. Arthur was just creepier IMO, no makeup needed.
Heath was completely deranged though. Gotta love both.

The problem with a sequel is that it kind of messes with their ambiguous, King of Comedy esque ending. I also don't see this Joker having such a successful, long term run. By the time Bruce is Batman age, Joker will probably be too old. Unless they do some goofy Gotham **** and have a 15 year old proto-Batman.
This is basically the same age setup as Keaton Batman and Jack. Batman can easily be 27 and Joker be 52. All good. The Joker doesn't physically fight
Bats as we know anyway... But with so many theories, they can do whatever they want. So open-ended.

About 3 days removed from my watch and I still think about it.

So many memorable moments for me and it’s one of those movies where you can depict it any which way but it still raises so many concerns about our society today - even tho this movie is based in the 80’s. We still haven’t solved our domestic health care problems, we still don’t fully understand or accept mental health issues, we still have economic balance issues.Well written and well performed by all them folks.

Something that’s been concerning me is I see people saying joker isn’t really a villain and stuff but nah man.

you can’t tell me a dude who killed a innocent mother and daughter (heavily implied IMO) that didn’t wrong him one way or another and was just living their lives down the hall but because he built a delusion where he was dating her that she knew nothing about making her involved in his BS isn’t a villain?! Nah bruh. I love thought provoking and complex villains as much as the next guy but the tendency some seem to have whenever we get A complex villain going “Nah he not a villain at all just misunderstood” people gotta chill :lol:

agreed. he simply killed
3 rich guys and a tv host
and basically got
control of the working class etc and everyone was rioting.
classic joker mayhem. it was mostly a crazy manipulation through a concerted chaos. crazy. and to think that he's barely begun.

And here I thought Heath's portrayal was more villainous.

Joaquin was just unreal man. He put on a clinic.

And here I thought Heath's portrayal was more villainous.

Joaquin was just unreal man. He put on a clinic.
Masterpiece. The journey he had in developing the role really showed in the movie.
From a regular sociopath to a supervillain. My jaw was on the floor the whole movie.

Something that’s been concerning me is I see people saying joker isn’t really a villain and stuff but nah man.

you can’t tell me a dude who killed a innocent mother and daughter (heavily implied IMO) that didn’t wrong him one way or another and was just living their lives down the hall but because he built a delusion where he was dating her that she knew nothing about making her involved in his BS isn’t a villain?! Nah bruh. I love thought provoking and complex villains as much as the next guy but the tendency some seem to have whenever we get A complex villain going “Nah he not a villain at all just misunderstood” people gotta chill :lol:

He's definitely a villain, if not for the implied murder of the neighbor then definitely for the murder at the very end. You could also make the case that the murder he committed in his apartment wasn't justified, especially if he's such an unreliable narrator. The movie is also really influenced by of course Scorsese but also NYC during that era. Graffiti everywhere, urban decay, the sanitation strike. And most importantly, Bernard Goetz, who shot 4 Black teens in the subway in the 80s. A lot of people viewed Goetz as a hero for defending himself, others saw him as a ruthless vigilante. The subway scene in the movie also played into that idea as well.

He's better @ directing, better character bulding and development, better with dialogue, etc.
it's easy to say a blanket statement like that regarding the best director of all time (or Mt Rushmore).
You can say that for any movie "Scorcese would have done a better job" Oh yeah, no s**t LMAOOO
But what dialogue do you want to improve or you felt needed polishing? The entire movie was
about building the character, what did you think needed improvement? Really curious what you
think can be improved in the directing... was it the pacing? the POV of the story? the framing?

All great Villains are those that think they're doing the right thing. And in this movie, told in
the Joker's perspective, we're obviously seeing it the way he sees it.

A movie is a movie, if there's a person out there that will be swayed by a fictional character
to do dumb sh**, then he's probably gonna do those dumb sh** no matter what. I can't believe
this is even a topic. No one thought Deadpool was too violent right?

it's easy to say a blanket statement like that regarding the best director of all time (or Mt Rushmore).
You can say that for any movie "Scorcese would have done a better job" Oh yeah, no s**t LMAOOO
But what dialogue do you want to improve or you felt needed polishing? The entire movie was
about building the character, what did you think needed improvement? Really curious what you
think can be improved in the directing... was it the pacing? the POV of the story? the framing?
Seeing the movie this weekend.

I was just answering your question cuz the answer is pretty obvious.

Scorsese is a better director, therefore he would've most likely made a better movie. Especially if all this king of comedy and Taxi driver influence talk is true.

Back
Top Bottom