Deadly Weekend In DC

8 people dead, 8 people injured....Not a good look for the start of summer 2008. Look at the chart though and look at what these people are killing/gettingkilled over. I just dont understand where it comes from and its really beyond me to understand, we all get caught up in the heat of the moment, but to shootsomeone over a dice game or argument? Come on.

GR2008053102637.gif

And then last night just since that chart was posted there was an 8th victim.

As District residents and officials grappled with what was already shaping up as one of the city's most violent weekends in recent memory, another young man was fatally shot and still another injured in Southeast early yesterday.

No arrests had been made in the death of Edward Mitchell, 21, who was found bleeding from the stomach in the 4600 block of Livingston Road SE by officers on routine patrol about 2:40 a.m. The slaying remains under investigation, police said, as do the other shootings and stabbings in the spate that began Friday night. The weekend's tally: eight people dead and at least eight wounded. (One death resulted from a police shooting in a domestic dispute. The man killed was identified yesterday as Clyde Tinch, 52, of Northeast Washington.)

Most of the weekend's killings took place in the 5th Police District in Northeast, despite increased police patrols since a crime surge in April.

Police officials and city residents expressed dismay yesterday at the mounting toll of killings: 73, which, for the first time, surpassed the number at the same time last year.

"It's very frustrating, because we're pulling out all the stops," said Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier, who told the .C. Council in February that the city "was moving in the right direction," as homicides and assaults with guns had dropped from last year.

Although Lanier pledged yesterday to continue her department's focus on the area, she said there was a limit to how much law enforcement -- as opposed to social services -- could do to prevent further killings.

"I don't think there's been more than just a handful of cases where the officers haven't been so close that they heard the gunshots," she said. "They're already in the right places."

D.C. Council member Harry Thomas Jr. (D-Ward 5) echoed that view. "There is just this culture of violence that persists," he said yesterday, shaking his head as he stood near the spot in the 1100 block of Holbrook Street NE where three men were slain by semiautomatic gunfire Saturday morning after an argument that might have begun in a nearby nightclub.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...06/01/AR2008060102291.html?hpid=moreheadlines

thats crazy and sad...it aint even THAT hot out yet...looks like its gonna be a hot summer...

Sadly I've beared witness to the casualties of a dice game. $20,000 large on table, lucky dude hits trips and wants to walk away, it doesn't fly withthe sore losers who want to win their money back, preceeding events are self explanitory.

^^^ Yeah that sucks that a losing gambler can get that pissed. That's why its a gamble.

My brother has done this before:

"Dawg I gotta jet. Here, take some of your money back. Good luck."

lmao.

in the words of 50 cent's heat.....

"In the hood summer time is the killing season
It's hot out this **+$+ that's a good 'nuff reason "

im from the burbs if it matters....

It's only going to get worse as the summer continues.....just stay alert out there in the streets.

one of my friends (who was 17 at the time) got into a older cats pockets to the tune of about 2 or 3 stacks... tried to leave the game and got stole on
smh.gif

jaw was wired shut for about 2 months

dice games = trouble ESPECIALLY if you're not doing it with homies or dudes you are familiar with

I agree with some of the "summer heat stuff" it ALWAYS get bad around that time.

2 years when there were 24 murders in something like 22 days, my friend was looking for a new car....and the car was for sale in SE, I was the only one with acar so I drove over there.....it ended up being by Naylor Road behind a Police Station or something with a bunch of torn down homes, well they looked torn downbut apparently people lived in there....he was black, I was white wearing seer sucker shorts, boat shoes and a polo....there were dudes standing outside withguns in there pants pretty much exposed, I got out of the car, took a look with him and was ready to bolt right away.

Good times.

When I read this in the paper this morning, I got HEATED

Patrick Sterling, 61, a counselor in a public housing complex, described how, when he leaves work late, he no longer drives home to Trinidad. Instead, he has taken to parking his car in the police station lot and spending the night there. It's impossible to find street parking in front of his house, he said, and he does not risk walking even a few blocks back to his home from a parking spot after dark.

"Look at me, walking with a cane, I'm a prime target," he said.

smh.gif

peace & blessings to the families of victims and the neighborhoods where this dumb stuff is going on

I think i heard on the news district 5 had like 22 murders all of last year and already in 08 they got 26
tired.gif

I'm telling you, they need to start putting the parents faces of the kids on TV as well. Maybe even start putting the parents in jail for not being ableto raise their kids.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

I'm telling you, they need to start putting the parents faces of the kids on TV as well. Maybe even start putting the parents in jail for not being able to raise their kids.
The public outrage would be all over the place "dont tell me how to raise my kids."

I just say we legalize abortion up until about 16 years old.

Life is way too short. Some take statements like that way too lightly but it is a powerful message. You really cant afford to lose or win in a dice game.N's need to just stick with scratch off cards.

Originally Posted by VARISOXFAN

Originally Posted by Deuce King

I'm telling you, they need to start putting the parents faces of the kids on TV as well. Maybe even start putting the parents in jail for not being able to raise their kids.
The public outrage would be all over the place "dont tell me how to raise my kids."

I just say we legalize abortion up until about 16 years old.

Who cares about that, there should be more public outcry for these shootings and these half-*+% parents out here. These parents out here need a wake upcall, seriously. I don't know about the abortion aspect of your argument, but its worth looking at.

I was joking, but honestly, lets be real here, I cant judge anybody else on how they raise there kids. Not everyone is blessed to be brought up with parentswho CARE like some of us. Some are dealing with parents who battle drugs and booze, money problems, having to work 2 or more jobs and arent around TO RAISEthese kids, so they are being raised by the streets or the wrong people. I hate to bring rap music into this (no not hip hop), I really do, but the +$%% thatis out there right now and with how dumb and brainwashed some of these kids are, it deffinitly gives kids who dont know any better the wrong perspective ofwhat life and doing well in life is. Its sad, but true.

I hate to bring rap music into this (no not hip hop), I really do, but the +$%% that is out there right now and with how dumb and brainwashed some of these kids are, it definitely gives kids who dont know any better the wrong perspective of what life and doing well in life is. Its sad, but true.
^^ Man you never lied ... my man and I were talking about this very subject today ...

The problem with these kids today is that they are too far removed from the ills of the drug game ... Its over glorified in the music today with no emphasis onthe negative aspects of that lifestyle ...

As odd as it seems we had Boyz N The Hood, Menace, New Jack City, and even movies like Scarface to play the role of cautionary tale for us and I can't denythe fact that some of these same films were a double edge sword for those that watched them but I also know that many took the good that the tales had to offerand made the best of it ...

There is no easy solution for the issue of black on black crime but it really comes form the lack of love we have for ourselves ...

Ya'll be safe out there ...

its that time of year again....its getting hot...schools bout to be out....dudes staying out late, smoking, drinking, shooting dice...somethings bound tohappen

Back
Top Bottom