Death of TRL = Downfall of Hip Hop Sales???

had a argument bout this earlier kinda ended up agreeing. TRL had teen suburbia buying albums. 50, Em, Outkast, Nelly four of the big hip hop sellers thisdecade benefitted from TRL. My dude even broke it down how TRL helped Juvenile push 400 degreez to quadruple platinum. Even though "Ha" was a majorurban hit when TRL debuted "Back That Thang Up" and it stayed on the countdown so long they had to retire it Juvie crossed over to the pop lane andsold records. We all know TRL was pop oritented but once your song no matter the genre hit the countdown it was destined to equal record sales. And he alsopointed out that of all the 100 + songs that retired on the countdown more than 70% of the albums the songs were featured on went platinum. What yall think?

Its one of the causes not the main cause tho...ill say its no more than 25-30% responsible...not TRL itself completely but a Mix of MTV as a network n TRL

Nahhh I wouldnt say so...

it DID help any artist that was on the countdown/featured

Its plain as day:

Hip Hop record sales will continue to diminish as the everyday consumer continues to learn how easy it is to find and DL them.

Its pretty much a dying market due to widespread (FREE) availability of the product

Originally Posted by skips kicks

Nahhh I wouldnt say so...

it DID help any artist that was on the countdown/featured

Its plain as day:

Hip Hop record sales will continue to diminish as the everyday consumer continues to learn how easy it is to find and DL them.

Its pretty much a dying market due to widespread (FREE) availability of the product

Yea that was my point I was saying that it died because of the interent. And so did MTV and BET playing videos because on the internet you can watch yourfavorite video on demand. Where on a TRL or 106 format you get introduced to new music because not only do you get to see your favorite artist you getintroduced to new artist or songs. It helped cross market urban music to the suburbs. The only thing with 106 is it doesnt target the "buyers" Thatswhy you rarely see an artist coming on the show anymore. They used to send an artist to TRL and if he or she had time they would send them to 106.

videos not being played during after school hours, on mtv and bet period, is killing sells

/thread

*sidenote* 106 and park does not count

106's ratings over took TRLs a year or so before it went off the air...

As far as the example with Juvinile, that was an era where goin gold was a flop... EVERYone was MULTI-platinum from 98-05, that's the time period where HipHop was in the process of overtaking Country music as the best selling genre... But back to Juve, he had his first and ONLY #1("Slow Motion") recordalmost 6 years after that, and I'm not sure he went platinum with that album (could be wrong though), but I'm pretty sure TRL was still on back thentoo...

I mean maybe TRL goin off the air may have more to do with Virgin Megastore on 42nd closing down, but I don't think it truly played too big of a role inthe slump in urban music sales... The fact that MTV no longer plays videos all togeather may be a better reason...

when you watch something on the TV it makes you want to buy it. When you watch something on the internet it makes you want to download it.

Originally Posted by southzeztpdot

when you watch something on the TV it makes you want to buy it. When you watch something on the internet it makes you want to download it.
eek.gif
Yo, you're right.

Go ahead and delete neighborhoods thread.I think TRL no longer existing does have a impact on the recent low sales

^ This man speaks truth.

thread./

I don't think TRL had that much impact into the downfall of hip-hop or any other genre sales.
I used to watch TRL when I was in middle school, and my main reason why i stopped watching it was because they never played anything new.
When I watched TRL my intent was never to buy the song that was played.
Music sales have been on a steady decrease since this decade began.
But the recent sales decrease you guy are noticing is probably because of the recession, and the recent advancements of the internet.

ding ding ding u hit it on the skull

Back
Top Bottom