Debating on moving to the NOVA area after graduation...

So here's the deal, I graduate in a couple of semesters if all goes well and I'm ready to get out of Bama. Been thinking about different places and now staying Northern Virgina and a work commute to DC seems like the best option. I'll be getting my degree in MIS with a main concentration in Information Assurance so I'm looking to get into cyber security.

Anyway what's a good area for a recent college graduate in Northern Virgina, I was thinking about around Arlington. I'll be moving with my girl she's an electrical engineer with a lot of experience so shouldn't have too much of a problem having a job.

Should this go in regional? Forgot all about that forum

if you haven't been through NoVA before (I'm going to assume that you have, since you want to move there specifically), hopefully you will have some deeper pockets. its a great area because you won't need a car, but spots near metros are not going to be cheap. Arlington spots (Ballston, Courthouse, Crystal City, Pentagon City) are going to be most expensive but if you live with a roommate (like so many people I know in those ureas), it is def more livable. they are the easiest to get into the city from, bus and metro wise. I'd look into Alexandria (not as expensive as Arlington). Both have transportation systems that are pretty expansive though. definetely peep CL though.

and stay off the roads in NoVA if you can help it. NoVA drivers are the most distracted I've ever seen since speed limits are low.
sick.gif

Yeah the regional forum would be better,however If you do decide to move here... welcome... gotdammit WELCOME!

"Its a great area because you won't need a car, but spots near metros are not going to be cheap."

Ryair speaks the truth.

I personally haven't been to the area since 5th grade, but my girl used to live there.

Say there are three places exactly the same, which would be more expensive? The place in Arlington, Alexandria, or actually in DC?

Okay thanks, Alexandria is the one I know the least about. I have a while to figure things out, and going up for a visit too (mainly will be in DC though)

alexandria is the cheaper of the 3.

consider moving to reston/herndon. little bit cheaper, and most likely if ur in that field your job will be in reston anyways. plus the metro is coming out there soon.
btw novas not very cheap if u didn't already know, not just real estate, but cost of living n whatnot.
i live in clifton, many people commute to dc, if u have a car u can pretty much live anywhere off of 66 n you'll be fine metro n public transportation here isn't the most reliable, i don't trust it too much personally but i guess if u live close to the city its ok.

arlington is cool the nightlife is definitely the best in nova b/c of its proximity to dc but personally i would rather pay to live in dc than to live in arlington considering rent isn't much more in dc

man you guys are saying Reston/herndon all that is cheap i live a little more south in fredericksburg and we think Nova is damn expensive lol..

but I grew up in Alexandria it is a good place a lot of history. A lot to do

What about Universities up there? Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Georgetown.
I'll be pursuing my masters once I find a job

GW alum 
pimp.gif

you got GW UMD Catholic American Howard George Mason ... if you are in VA, go for Mason. dat in state tuition.

decent unis throughout but !$%# Georgetown
laugh.gif

NOVA is the spot for young professionals. Id look in Alexandria, off of duke st/eisenhower, herndon/reston(two extremes.. I know), franconia and as mentioned, DC and Arlington. The latter two are perfect for your situation, but unless you want to pay a locality premium, Id weigh those options vs a few of the less pricier ones.

There are actually a few neighborhoods on N. beauregard st, near the Hamlet shopping center, that may appeal to you. Millbrook, Mark Center. A few others.

Goodluck!

Don't do it unless you literally can't find a job anywhere else or if money isn't any issue.
I'm from Woodbridge, a lot of my high school friends moved to Arlington after graduating college. Nobody lasted more than a year because it's just too damn expensive. Of course that won't necessarily apply to you, but the hassle of living in the DC area will get to you quickly if you're anything like me. 

Personally, I'm graduating medical school in 10 months and I'm targeting affordable and interesting cities for residency. I'm buying a small house or condo to avoid blowing tens of thousands of dollars on rent again. Charleston, SC is my #1 spot right now. Beaches, food, culture and women. Buy a small speed boat and I will clean up.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Don't do it unless you literally can't find a job anywhere else or if money isn't any issue.
I'm from Woodbridge, a lot of my high school friends moved to Arlington after graduating college. Nobody lasted more than a year because it's just too damn expensive. Of course that won't necessarily apply to you, but the hassle of living in the DC area will get to you quickly if you're anything like me. 

Personally, I'm graduating medical school in 10 months and I'm targeting affordable and interesting cities for residency. I'm buying a small house or condo to avoid blowing tens of thousands of dollars on rent again. Charleston, SC is my #1 spot right now. Beaches, food, culture and women. Buy a small speed boat and I will clean up.
laugh.gif
I hear you man.
I want to live in or near a major metropolitan area though, and combining the field that I plan to get into DC seems perfect. Also looking to NYC but that's a major longshot.
Honestly though it all depends where I find a job. If I find the perfect job for me and it's still in Bama I'd be willing to stay. My goal is to get out of the south though, it's too slow, especially in Alabama.

Gar-Field High School Alum 2003~~~~!!!

I went to VCU in richmond very good school and still only about 90 min drive from nova if you needed to commute or had a job or whatever.

I got family in the south, they love VA everytime they visit

I do agree to some extant with this. Unless you have money or are getting PAID, the area is just really expensive. Living comfortably in the nicer areas of the DMV becomes hard (my def of living comfortably = own apartment and disposable income). I'm not expecting that to go down right away but if a I'm not on the path I want by next summer, I'm looking to exit as well, preferably Chicago.

OP if you want to save some money, for the short or long term, check spots in MD. Lots of people will say they are ghetto, you'll get killed, blah blah blah but thats nonsense. College Park, Takoma Park, certain areas of Hyattsville (near the metro) Silver Spring are all much affordable options. 

Thats the truth! If you really want to live comfortable in Fairfax/Arlington/Alexandria areas you need to be pulling in about 100k. I was currently looking into buying my first house in the area and was really disappointed with the options. If you want a decent townhouse you are looking at 400k+ and most condos in the area have such high condo fees that it takes away from that actual feeling of ownership since you are shipping out so much money that isn't going towards your bottom line.

People will suggest going out west towards Loudoun County or even South towards Prince William County, but then you have take into account the atrocious amount of time you will be spending commuting daily, and if you want to taste that city life, DC or Arlington isn't really right around the corner.

NOVA really is frustrating because there are so many good jobs, the only problem is that your private life will revolve around those jobs in  more ways than one making you question if it's really worth it.

I've been seriously considering a move down to Miami, given the availability of jobs in my field, cheap houses at a high quality and the beach
pimp.gif

I don't think finances will be too big of a problem. Of course I say that now without actually knowing what the future will hold but I think we'll be good on that front.

Originally Posted by Tdogg2k

Gar-Field High School Alum 2003~~~~!!!

I went to VCU in richmond very good school and still only about 90 min drive from nova if you needed to commute or had a job or whatever.

I got family in the south, they love VA everytime they visit

I went to Woodbridge High School...2003.  Went to ODU and VCU (graduated from there).  VCU is a great school to go to, still close to DC and no where near as much traffic.  Tons of jobs up here, but the traffic is rediculous.  I will definitely be leaving shortly as soon as I hit six figures and will bounce out of this overcrowded cesspool of mundane existence. 

Back
Top Bottom