Def Jam Exec VP Shakir Stewart Commits Suicide

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

I'm hearing he struggled with depression.

Being at that label at this point in time doesn't help either.

RIP

Just curious what you mean by "at that label at this point in time......"?

You probably know more about what's happening at IDJ than I do. They seem to be doing well in some respects. But I know that perception and reality are 2very different things in music.

Rihanna and Ne-Yo and getting BUSY on the Top 40 Charts. Kanye building. 3 records in the Top 10 at Rhythm. 6 in the Top 20. Still do damage at Urban. Havecredible rock acts like Fall Out Boy and The Killers.

That's just at radio though. I don't have Soundscan on me. Are they not selling? I know the Mariah and Janet projects were rocky. I'm surethey've have some others.

Just seems so strange that a dude on the come up would do this now. He's been in the business for a minute. He could have cracked already. Wonder what madehim do so now. When you were just basically named the head of a huge company and iconic brand in music. Especially since he'd already been at the companyfor a while. What changed?

Definitely makes me thing it had nothing to do with the business. If this is in fact a suicide, which I'm not completely convinced of yet either. Or maybehe does suffer from a clinical depression. That I can't speak on.

I will say this. I recently talked to IDJ about a position they had available. And when I talked to some of the other heads in the business I deal with, theyall talked about the PRESSURE. That the pressure to deliver at IDJ is incredibly intense. But with success comes "pressure". You can't fear thatif you plan to succeed. But again, he had been there for a bit. He already knew that.

Crazy. Curious to see what comes of this as we get more details......

Back
Top Bottom