*| | Denim _ School | |*

Originally Posted by retepelnart

Originally Posted by cq23

Originally Posted by retepelnart

This is alot of pages to go through....
laugh.gif
smh.gif

What do you do when you first get nudies or any other designer jeans?
How do you wash them?
when you get some new raw denim, its recommended you soak first, unless they're sanforized, to avoid expected shrinkage and shifting of fades. there are several different ways to soak. its all a matter of personal opinion

you dont wash them for as long as you can go without washing (around a year should be time for a wash) to get the worn in fades to settle in. and if you do decide to wash them it should be a cold inside out wash with either no soap or a special organic soap.

What if they smell?
laugh.gif
If you want raw jeans, that what's you're gonna have to go through. I've had some unwashed Nudies for like 7 months and they smelljust fine. You can wash them, but the contrast and fading of the jeans won't be as sharp, which is what you're looking for when you buy raw jeans. Ifyou're talking about other designer jeans, i.e. 7FAM, or Rock Republic, if they're pre washed model, then you should wash them every so often sincewashing them won't cause them to lose their color since they're prewashed.

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

How does the ARTFUL DODGER and CHEAP MONDAY jeans fit?

I have some bulky legs due to being athletic throughout my life, so slim fit wouldnt really fit on me. I'm a size 31 on straight/relaxed regular jeans.
Did you have any particular pair of Cheap Monday in mind?

So I'm about 9 months in to my APC New Standards and I think it's time to put them in water. Is the first wash generally just a cold soak? They wereinitially REALLY tight (I should have gotten one size up) but they've stretched out to where they're perfect. I really don't want these to shrinkand have to deal with stretching them out again.

save ur $$$ homeboy go with some levi's 501 STF and ur good to go ive been wearing them since 93' and they are the best jeans ever:.

So I blew out a hole in the crotch of my Nudies (Straight Svens) about 3 months ago and have made the mistake of wearing them more without getting the holefixed. 1 Wash about 1.5 years. I will post pics when i get a chance over the holiday.

Can I trust any old tailor that I come across to repair these things for me?
How can you tell if a tailor a quality tailor from the average?
Show them pictures of repairs for them to copy?

I live in Providence, RI, btw.

Originally Posted by DL2352

So I'm about 9 months in to my APC New Standards and I think it's time to put them in water. Is the first wash generally just a cold soak? They were initially REALLY tight (I should have gotten one size up) but they've stretched out to where they're perfect. I really don't want these to shrink and have to deal with stretching them out again.
How do you soak jeans?

Soaking jeans is really pretty simple. You fill the tub with whatever temperature water you feel will give you the desired results, put the jeans in the water, and that's it. You can add soap if you want. Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap is popular for this purpose.

How long should I soak them for?

The most important thing is the temperature. If you're going for max shrinkage, you'll want to soak for around a half hour in warm to hot water. If you're trying to avoid shrinkage, use colder water and less time.

What do I do once I'm done soaking? Should I squeeze the water out, or just let them drip while hanging?

You can try to squeeze the water out, but the denim will have absorbed enough water that you wont be able to get it all out right away. If you can, hang the jeans by the waist in your shower to let them finish dripping.

If you're concerned that the jeans will be too small for you in the waist once they dry, you can put them on wet. Moving around in the wet denim will help it stretch back out. Just be prepared for whatever you're wearing to have indigo stains afterwards.

If you're concerned that the inseam will be too short after the wash, it is possible to stretch the inseam up to an inch and a half in some cases. To do this, lay the wet jeans flat on the ground, stand on the waist, and simply pull on the hem of the legs to stretch them. This is far from an ideal solution though, and you'd be better served doing a bit of research and buying jeans that are still going to be long enough after washing and/or hemming them.

Will I get different/better results from using a machine washer and dryer?

Machine drying will give you more shrinkage than air drying, so if that's what you need then by all means, machine dry.

The main advantage of machine washing is that you have a controlled temperature. You don't have to constantly monitor it like you would your tub to make sure the water stays at the right temperature.

Be aware that the tossing and turning of the jeans in the washer and dryer may lead to the development of odd creases and fades, especially if the jeans are allowed to sit crumpled up and wet inside the machine.

How much will the jeans shrink?

That depends on the jeans. Most raw denim will shrink between 1-3 inches in the waist and inseam. Some denim may take several washes to shrink down to its final size, so you should be careful if you're planning on hemming the jeans.

Also, some companies use sanforized denim, which will hardly shrink at all. Less than an inch all around, if that.

Here at Self Edge we like to find any reason to drink, and better yet, drink with our customers...
So this weekend we're running a LET'S DRINK sale on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Come by the store and have a few beers with us and enjoy a 10% offsale and giveaway.

We'll have quite a bit of new shirts, jeans, leather accessories, silver jewelry, and more in the store just in time for the weekend. Come by and check outall the newest releases from every line we carry.

It's rare for us to have a blanket sale like this... Everything will be marked down 10% and we'll be giving away free items with every purchase.

-For one item purchased you'll get a collectible Buzz Rickson, Flat Head, Sugar Cane, or Real Japan Blues bandana.
-For two items you'll receive a $40 gift certificate to Self Edge.
-For three items we'll give you a t-shirt of our choosing (in your size).. T-shirt might be a Flat Head loopwheeler tee, a Dry Bones tee, Skull Jeans tee,a B.Son tee, or a JP Tee.
-For four items you'll receive a button down shirt (in your size) from Flat Head, Iron Heart, Sugar Cane, Dry Bones, or Left Field
-For five items you'll receive any pair of jeans from our stock, you pick.
-For six or more items you'll receive a bottle of Suntory Yamazaki 18 Year Whiskey and any pair of jeans you want.

Use this code for 10% off everything in our online store from Friday November 28 (8AM PST) to Sunday November 30 (8PM PST):
LetsDrink

http://http://www.selfedge.com/shop

Fine Print: For online customers, your free item will be sent with your order, those ordering five or more items will receive an email asking what jeansyou'd like. In-store customers, products costing under $50 do not qualify as an "item". No exchanges or returns on giveaways. Sale terms cannotbe retroactive for past purchases.

i just realiezed my apcs i been wearing for 2 years no wash no soak

haha, i dont wear them hard or anything but just casual on the reg, think might be time for them to touch water soon

Is there much difference in getting 501's and 501 STF's? The only difference is one's raw and one's not, right? I've been looking ongetting a pair of straight levis to go with chucks that I just bought, but I have a tough time wearing straight leg jeans that since I have an athletic buildand my thighs are big. I'm worried if I were to get STF's, that it would shrink to an improper size.

yup, STF's are raw unlike the regular 501's. Size up a tad more than the instructions tell you to.

Back
Top Bottom