Detachable vs. TD Cleats?

Looking at buying some football cleats for an upcoming flag football season. I don't know too much about football cleats, since I primarily playedbaseball.

What are the pros/cons of the detachable cleats vs. the Nike TD cleats?

P.S. Where is the official outlet report thread?

It depends on a few things. The surface you're gonna be playing on, what position you play, and how you think they feel. I personally like td, they seem toget better traction.

Originally Posted by DrDealgood

It depends on a few things. The surface you're gonna be playing on, what position you play, and how you think they feel. I personally like td, they seem to get better traction.

OK, so what if I'm playing on natural grass and playing wide receiver/cornerback (it's 5-5 flag football)? So I'd like something lightweight, buthas good traction for a natural grass surface, during the fall season.

Yea I would go with a TD plate on a low cut pair of nikes then. I played reviever and thats all I wore. It was lighter and felt more like a track spike, I wasable to get in and out of cuts easier. Hope this helps.

P.S. When playing reciever less is always more, so vapor jets are one of the best cleats you can get.

Originally Posted by DrDealgood

Yea I would go with a TD plate on a low cut pair of nikes then. I played reviever and thats all I wore. It was lighter and felt more like a track spike, I was able to get in and out of cuts easier. Hope this helps.

P.S. When playing reciever less is always more, so vapor jets are one of the best cleats you can get.
THANK YOU! So the TD plate worked well on natural grass? Even in dirt/mud?

P.S. Does anyone know where the Official Outlet Report thread is at?

Also it depends on what type of grass you are playing on. If you play up north where they have longer grass td plates may not work as well but if you playin south where grass is normally short, td plates are defintely the way to go.

A molded cleat will do the trick for most playing surfaces and weather conditions (as long as you keep them from caking up with mud and grass). Detachablecleats are more suitable for bad weather (heavy rain and snow) and poor field conditions. Ideally, you want to be more firmly planted in the ground to avoidslipping. This also applies to contact football where leverage is important, but it also depends on what position you play, and what your playing style is. Butsince you are not playing contact, a molded cleat is just fine, and probably better for flag.

Thanks to you all for your response. Yeah, I'm up in Illinois, playing on a big grassy area. Season's from September to October, so I'm surewe'll get some mud in there. I'm leaning towards the D cleats, since I'm sure the grass won't be super maintained, and the fact that I'msure we'll be playing in rain.

Is the main difference between D and TD cleats is the playing surface? Speed and comfort wise, is there a difference between the TD and D cleats? Can the Dcleats still be used for speed positions?

Yea, the main difference is the surface. I find that TD cleats also wear down less, and tend to be more comfortable. D cleats are used by speed positions, butI think that typically TD is preferred, but in heavy rain or snow, D cleats can be replaced with longer spikes for more diverse traction.

I had some D cleats from HS, got some TD cleats for this past flag football season.

I would go with TD if I were you, just because in flag it's really all about speed, you won't really see any benefit from any extra traction.You'll be fine either way, but you don't I would suggest TDs

Back
Top Bottom