Did Christopher Nolan set the Bar?

Originally Posted by Hazat50

I just love how he bridges the gap between real and unreal. Look at the prestige and inceptions for instance, cloning yourself and stealing secrets/planting ideas in another persons head is for the most part unreal but Nolan shows it to you in a way that gets you to believe the realness of it. That is magic

Honestly, Inception was pretty unreal for the simple fact that the shared dreaming was never actually explained. So without any science or explanation why would you believe it to be real? 

The same thing the OP is saying about nolan and batman were said about X-men & Spider-man when they were fresh in everyone's mind.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by Epidemik The Great

I wanna see Tarantino make a superhero movie, I feel like it would be epic and very intelligent

not exactly superhero, but a while back he said he was interested in doing a James Bond movie...that would be 
eek.gif
I dunno James Bond movies take a certain amount of "touch" so to speak I know Tarantino can pull it off but my idea of a Tarantino Bond movie is a mess----he'd murk mad people for no reason, it prolly wouldn't be PG13 and at some point there would be a 20 minute dialogue that has nothing to do with the movie

The bride is a superhero imagine a batman or Bond being like the bride, unfortunately superhero movies in this country are rarely "dark". I think he would make a great Spawn remake. Notice how superheros never actually kill anyone brutally, Tarantino would ruin that.
laugh.gif

D'Jango Unchained will be incredible...I hope. 

Originally Posted by sillyputty

not exactly superhero, but a while back he said he was interested in doing a James Bond movie...that would be 
eek.gif
I dunno James Bond movies take a certain amount of "touch" so to speak I know Tarantino can pull it off but my idea of a Tarantino Bond movie is a mess----he'd murk mad people for no reason, it prolly wouldn't be PG13 and at some point there would be a 20 minute dialogue that has nothing to do with the movie

The bride is a superhero imagine a batman or Bond being like the bride, unfortunately superhero movies in this country are rarely "dark". I think he would make a great Spawn remake. Notice how superheros never actually kill anyone brutally, Tarantino would ruin that.
laugh.gif

D'Jango Unchained will be incredible...I hope. 
The cast is crazy, I don't really doubt Tarantino. Even his weakest movie (Death Proof) was still pretty good IMO

Originally Posted by blakep267

I just love how he bridges the gap between real and unreal. Look at the prestige and inceptions for instance, cloning yourself and stealing secrets/planting ideas in another persons head is for the most part unreal but Nolan shows it to you in a way that gets you to believe the realness of it. That is magic

Honestly, Inception was pretty unreal for the simple fact that the shared dreaming was never actually explained. So without any science or explanation why would you believe it to be real? 
Shared dreaming was used in the Army to help soldiers work together in combat situations. Architects designed the dreamworld.

. I think he would make a great Spawn remake. Notice how superheros never actually kill anyone brutally, Tarantino would ruin that.
laugh.gif

They really should make a spawn movie remake... I saw it on TV recently and the graphics were horrible like Spawn's cape,etc.

it seems like Nolan is the only one in Hollywood who can make something original anymore....

Ratings and those movies ( other than Spiderman) bombing at the box office, might have played a part too. But I hear you, they have gotten much better over last couple of years.
smokin.gif

He did set the bar.  When TNT showed the Batman Forever and few weeks ago, I was saying man is this the stuff we used to get excited about.  I could not even watch 5 minutes of it.  Wasn't it one of the Marlon brothers who did G.I.Joe and said after Batman Begins everybody started taking comic book movies too seriously.  So there you have it, he definitely set the bar at another level....

Tarantino shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a superhero or James Bond movie.

Shared dreaming was used in the Army to help soldiers work together in combat situations. Architects designed the dreamworld.
didnt exactly say how . like how do you tap into some say google/amazon "cloud" storage; multiple people co-occupying one brain. 
although i do like it unexplained because 1) cool to come up with your own theories 2) movie flowed without it 3) and itd be 3 hours long 

Originally Posted by lynchpin33

He did set the bar.  When TNT showed the Batman Forever and few weeks ago, I was saying man is this the stuff we used to get excited about.  I could not even watch 5 minutes of it.  Wasn't it one of the Marlon brothers who did G.I.Joe and said after Batman Begins everybody started taking comic book movies too seriously.  So there you have it, he definitely set the bar at another level....

laugh.gif
 thats a bad example

Originally Posted by roc4life24

didnt exactly say how . like how do you tap into some say google/amazon "cloud" storage; multiple people co-occupying one brain. 
although i do like it unexplained because 1) cool to come up with your own theories 2) movie flowed without it 3) and itd be 3 hours long 
yea thats what I meant. I can easily say " soldiers used dragons to fly into combat and fight terrorists". That doesnt remotely explain where dragons came from or how they were made.
I mean, yea they movie flowed, but I kept wondering what was in the suit case that allowed them to connect to each other

I actually liked the first 2 Tim Burton Batman movies over Nolan's movies (both were criticized for being too dark).  I might be the only one though.  Michael Keaton ftw.

Originally Posted by DT43

Originally Posted by SoVerSoTowel

i see what your saying bro.

super hero movies were cheesy as hell
laugh.gif
i mean... its hard not to be cheesy when your characters are shooting spider webs out of their hands and transforming into green monsters and @%$$
laugh.gif

Batman's doesnt have super powers or magic. that's why they were able to make the movies more realistic and serious.  

plus, Gotham city and the general feel of Batman were meant to be dark and gritty in the first place. dudes trajectory as a superhero began with his parents being murdered in front of him. 

good point lil buddy

Nolan set the bar for Batman films, but not for comic book films in general. If you look at the majority of protagonists in Nolan's films, the Bruce Wayne character is right up his alley. Disturbed, scarred, obsessed, dedicated, etc...
IMO, Nolan has done a superb job of translating the Batman mythology into a great set of films, but a lot of that is due to how the character has been developed over time through the graphic novels. A lot of credit also has to be given to his brother and David Goyer who have been integral to the trilogy.

What I am afraid of, are studios trying to make their super-hero franchises more "gritty" and "dark," in hopes to replicate the success ofThe Dark Knight (I am directly referring to Marc Webb's, The Amazing Spider-Man which comes out this year).

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Nolan set the bar for Batman films, but not for comic book films in general. If you look at the majority of protagonists in Nolan's films, the Bruce Wayne character is right up his alley. Disturbed, scarred, obsessed, dedicated, etc...
IMO, Nolan has done a superb job of translating the Batman mythology into a great set of films, but a lot of that is due to how the character has been developed over time through the graphic novels. A lot of credit also has to be given to his brother and David Goyer who have been integral to the trilogy.

What I am afraid of, are studios trying to make their super-hero franchises more "gritty" and "dark," in hopes to replicate the success ofThe Dark Knight (I am directly referring to Marc Webb's, The Amazing Spider-Man which comes out this year).
He does a good job with the tone, but I could argue he has a terrible batman/Bruce Wayne in Christian Bale. he's not even close to what he actually should be. No batcave, he's not as smart as his comic counterpart. Also, Bruce Wayne is  suave billionaire, not a goofy douche as Bale plays him. So from movie perspective, George Clooney was probably the best representation of Bruce Wayne. And for Batman, Id say either Kilmer or Keaton.

I cant agree with that. Batman/Bruce Wayne has had several low points where he doesn’t resemble a suave billionaire and makes mistakes(as Batman). Nolan’s films could just be an adaptation in the young days of Batman or at a low point, which does coincide with the story line of the movies.

There is no uniform representation of Batman. So when making a film it’s up to the director to choose Bruce’s and Batman’s personality and abilities.

The Batcave didn’t always exist. It’s definitely developed over the years. Was I reading comics and watching television pre-Batcave? No, but it doesn’t mean it’s not ok to reduce the role or get rid of the Batcave our generation knows.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

I don't read comic books. How is spider-man portrayed in the comics? I know hollywood does there own take on the comics but 50% of the storyline has to come from the comics/cartoons right?

Originally Posted by Aze201

I cant agree with that. Batman/Bruce Wayne has had several low points where he doesn’t resemble a suave billionaire and makes mistakes(as Batman). Nolan’s films could just be an adaptation in the young days of Batman or at a low point, which does coincide with the story line of the movies.

There is no uniform representation of Batman. So when making a film it’s up to the director to choose Bruce’s and Batman’s personality and abilities.

The Batcave didn’t always exist. It’s definitely developed over the years. Was I reading comics and watching television pre-Batcave? No, but it doesn’t mean it’s not ok to reduce the role or get rid of the Batcave our generation knows.
I agree there is no uniform representation for Batman/Bruce wayne, but personally I like the animated series version of batman ( Kevin Conroy's version) which can be seen in most animated features and in Arkham city/asylum. I like this version because he has the cave, gadgets, and is cold and calculated. Its fine to change a character around, but let's bea real. Nolan's Batman would get eaten alive in a world where superman exists and the threats are more credible. Nolan's Batman never seems to be in control of the situation of shown to be a brilliant tactician. 

No. GL, Thor, Wolverine, and Iron Man don't seem more gritty or darker or influenced by Nolan. Spider-Man was always realistic for what Spider-Man is. I'd say maybe X-Men First Class has some influence from what you described but above anything else I feel creating a good story, with good writing, and sticking to what made the characters loveable was always the way to go.

Batman just has that prestige and legacy and so many past incarnations have failed. Nolan is just the guy who got it right so that's why it's such a success. Financially speaking Raimi made Spidey a success even though he went a bit far on the levity but I doubt the next remake for the F4 will be hugely successful following Nolan's style. It's all about staying true to the comics and characters. Problem with that is if a director wanted to get say Wolverine right the film would be rated R. If anything I can see the influence of Spawn and Sin City on what Nolan did with Batman.

I don't think he set the bar for superhero films but he set it for whoever will try to make the next Bats film.

Back
Top Bottom