did this dude really talk mess about phelps?! vol. tyler clary who???

so at the US olympic trails this dude got his butt whooped by phelps AND lochte in the 400 IM.. and finished second to phelps in the 200 fly (also finished second to lochte in the 200 back)

and now he wants to call out the guy who has 16 olympic medals (14 of which are gold!) about his work ethic?!

hell, phelps just qualified to swim 8 events AGAIN.. granted he decided to take it easy this year and only swim 7 of them

this is either a very ballsy move or just an extremely salty one

[h3]
U.S. Olympic Swimmer Tyler Clary Says Michael Phelps Has Poor Work Ethic
[/h3]
by J. Camm on July 11, 2012 at 10:00am

phelpsx-large_640_481_s_c1_center_top_0_0.jpg

Some goddamn nerve this guy has. Maybe Tyler Clary should get his **** wet and win a few medels before calling out the guy that has 16 of them, 14 of which are GOLD. I don't know...that's just like one guy's opinion and sh*t.

Clary and Phelps trained together in 2007-2008 at the University of Michigan; Phelps was preparing to win 8 gold medals in the Olymipics, while Clary was hoping to Ohio State in his meet (or something like that).

According to The Press-Enterprise:
“Basically, he was a swimmer that didn’t want to be there,

It's a clear inferiority complex aka. jealousy. You don't win 14 gold medals w/o hard work. Maybe this fool should ask Phelps about HIS training tips.

heard it this morning on 105.7 the fan. Just jealousy if you ask me. Phelps has natural talent and ability along with good genetics. We all know he trains very hard, Clary just mad he doesn't have that and as a result needs to train harder just to even think about getting to Phelps' level.

I'm even more impressed if he wins that much and doesn't have to put in as much work as others. It's all about the result, not how you get there. This isn't geometry

Originally Posted by dmxfury

I'm even more impressed if he wins that much and doesn't have to put in as much work as others. It's all about the result, not how you get there. This isn't geometry

PLUS the fact he swims 2 of the hardest races in swimming (400 IM and 200 fly)

hell.. all of dude's best races are the equivalent to the 400, 800 and 1500 meters in track.. not really sprints, but you still need to bust your a&#$ to even stand a chance

AND IF he wanted.. he would probably be the 2nd-4th fastest in the world in the 200 backstroke.. and he could make the olympic final in the 100 back

and i assume he would be a gold medal contender/favorite in the 400 freestyle too IF HE SWAM IT.. considering how good he is in the 100 & 200 free and the 400 IM
- he's also the fastest American in the 100 free in the last 2 years

its hilarious that this guys opinion even gets published.....he doesnt deserve a voice on this subject until he is close to as good as phelps....

For those that aren't major U.S. swimming fans: Some perspective below.
Clary is not a nobody, he's already been anointed the next American great destined for Olympic glory after Phelps and Lochte. Tyler was also Phelps' training partner at Michigan so I don't doubt his full access to Michael. It's the percentage of truth that should be questioned. 

Also, Phelps has publicly admitted in the past prior to 2008 about his laziness and flawed work ethic. The Games in Beijing with record-setting feats gave Michael a temporary pass, but then the leaked South Carolina story about hitting the bong and losing thousands in beer pong didn't help the matter. 

Personally, the writing is on the wall. It's entirely difficult to maintain consistent motivation over multiple Olympic Games, especially as a young man sought out by beautiful women and opportunities to exclusive parties. Don't be surprised if this is Phelps' last full hurrah. Olympians train over three full years for one or two moments of glory if they're lucky. It's a big sacrifice to ask of any young adult.   

^^^ cosign ... i work with an olympic swimmer that knows both of these guys ... she is shocked that he would say that to the public but she says phelps rarely showed up to practice and when he did all he did was complain ... he's just more talented and gifted than anyone else ...

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Clary is not a nobody, he's already been anointed the next American great destined for Olympic glory after Phelps and Lochte. Tyler was also Phelps' training partner at Michigan so I don't doubt his full access to Michael. It's the percentage of truth that should be questioned. 

in all honesty, i don't think he is THAT good to be on the phelps/lochte level.. this is going to be phelps'4th olympics for the US.. the 3rd of which where he is swimming a TON of events

also, tyler is already 23.. so by the next olympics he will be 27.. phelps just turned 27 during the trials (soo i could see him taking a break and coming back to swim 2 or 3 races and relays at 31.. check brendan hansen)

if i'm looking for a next big thing, i would look at ryan murphy.. the 16 year old kid who came 6th in the 100 back and 4th in the 200 back (i admit, i'm biased since i swam for bolles too)

Also, Phelps has publicly admitted in the past prior to 2008 about his laziness and flawed work ethic. The Games in Beijing with record-setting feats gave Michael a temporary pass, but then the leaked South Carolina story about hitting the bong and losing thousands in beer pong didn't help the matter. 

can you really blame the dude for letting loose after accomplishing what he did in the '08 games.. and when you really think about it, dude has been training for it since the 2000 games since he first tried to break the record in the '04 games

and even after 'taking it easy' dude really only has 1 real competitor in the whole world in couple of his individual races (lochte)

granted the US will lose the 4 x 100 free relay.. but that isn't phelps fault, since he is their fastest 100 freestyler.. the australians are just that stacked

but really, swimming is just a very draining and monotonous sport.. when i was at bolles as a high school/club swimmer this was my weekly schedule (assuming we didn't have any meets that week or weekend):
mon, wed and fri i was in the pool for 5/6 hours a day (depends on if we had an hour of 'dry land' or not)
tues and thurs was for 2.5/3.5 hours (again depends on if we had an hour of 'dry land')
sat was 2/3 hours (and again depends on if we had an hour of 'dry land')

after my sophomore year, i quit.. went and played football and ran track

^ I can definitely appreciate the perspective and personal story you provided. I was fairly competitive at swimming back in my high school years (proudest achievement was 5th in the county for 50m breast). Was fortunate enough to coast off natural ability for years, but I'll be the first to admit that despite how much my parents pushed me, I lacked the personal motivation to train as hard as other majorly competitive swimmers. Truthfully I didn't enjoy the endless hours and laps in the pool, so I gave up the sport unfortunately. 
In terms of the Olympics, I've never been a Phelps guy. The dude has tremendous natural ability and obviously trains "hard enough" to set world records and become perhaps one of the most dominant swimmers in Olympic history. But I've always preferred Lochte Monster, Kitajima, and Thorpedo. Really wanted Thorpe to complete the comeback feel-good story in the 100 and 200 free for Australia, but it just wasn't meant to be and he faded horribly and the back 100 in the 200 event. Love myself some Ricey as well. She's a dime but also a good swimmer. Girl rips both IM events. Check that cheeky pic she tweeted few weeks back. 

Is it really that far fetched though? Phelps is just so much more talented than everyone, doesn't mean he's got that crazy work ethic only some athletes have... He must of worked hard to get to where he has, but maybe he doesn't have that sick near insane mentality to workout. Meh, not a big deal to me

^ I can definitely appreciate the perspective and personal story you provided. I was fairly competitive at swimming back in my high school years (proudest achievement was 5th in the county for 50m breast). Was fortunate enough to coast off natural ability for years, but I'll be the first to admit that despite how much my parents pushed me, I lacked the personal motivation to train as hard as other majorly competitive swimmers. Truthfully I didn't enjoy the endless hours and laps in the pool, so I gave up the sport unfortunately.

same thing with me.. only reason i lasted until the 10th grade was because i had done it since i was like 6 and just needed to build up the nerve to actual quit.. but i hated it

i was good at sports growing up.. and so i was able to do a bunch of other stuff while still swimming while i was still in the bahamas and up until i went to jacksonville.. at bolles that had to get cut out quick

hell, the present US olympic men's swimming team coach (greg troy) was my coach my first/freshman year at bolles before he went to UF

so i can't really be too hard on the guy when he decides to take it easy for a while, considering dude did go to his first olympic games when he was like 15.. and got his first world record before the age of 16

Back
Top Bottom