Discussion: Why Hasn’t Nike Basketball Used Mesh On Its Flywire-Based Shoes?

Source: COUNTERKICKS.com / @counterkicks

nike-basketball-why-no-mesh-main.jpg

All of Nike Basketball’s Flywire-based models we’ve seen so far (Hyperdunk, Zoom Kobe IV, Hypermax, Hyperize, Air Max LeBron VII, Zoom Kobe V, LeBron VII P.S., Hyperfly, Hyperdunk 2010, and Hypermax 2010) house their Flywire within a TPU film or PU skin with little to no ventilation. While these aren’t the least breathable shoes out there, they also aren’t the best. Even with mesh tongues and perforations here and there, myself and others are still sometimes left with drenched socks. As the HOOP Magazine testers put it, they were left with â€

Even though Tennis has those lateral movements similar to the properties we use when playing basketball, you don't have that number of people in a little space jumping for rebounds etc. I think what we've seen is for protection more than anything. Maybe Nike has tried with testers and it hasn't worked well or maybe they just haven't put too much of an effort into it.

The Hyperize has HINTS of it but obviously not enough. Maybe the new gen flywire could handle those vents better if integrated into the uppers. Who knows. I never really thought about it because i've never really had major issues with ventilation in shoes. It hasn't bothered me to the point i've had to complain but everyone is different and it's definitely an interesting issue to discuss.

i'm pretty sure it's been discussed that consumers get the nylon version of flywire while the pros get the vectran one.

^word, I still continue to believe "flywire" is sketchy and that the base support is mainly from the plastic that is merely the upper of all flywire shoes.

Depending on what the mesh is made of, some meshes can be quite durable while others tear pretty easy. Random shoes that come to mind - Jordan XI, Lebron II, Jordan XVI / XVI+ or even my Bauer Free Trainer 7.0's.

It would be interesting to see the TPU laminate have lots of micro-perfs, almost making it a mesh. That could make it more permeable to heat and moisture while still being pretty strong.

^That's a good suggestion actually with the laminate with the perfs (not sure why but the AJ 2010 TPU window comes to mind) and flywire, thats a mixture that could probably work...could make some good needle design work as well...

Originally Posted by CarlofromdaPI

Never knew about those Zoom Raketa's... I play Badminton so it would be nice to see those release.
smokin.gif
you really don't want them.

i play badminton too with Yonex SHB 100

the Nike Raketa is known as the Air Zoom Speed 8.0 and you could probably find them somewhere for real cheap.

IMO they lack lateral support really badly, and the zoom just isn't enough for the impact.
Yonex outperforms those in every way possible, except for bursts on lunges the zoom has a slight advantage. maybe.
(my footwork is more of the traditional chinese step/pounding method... although i guess the nikes would be more suitable for the korean gliding footwork)

The Zoom Speed 8.0 looks to be a very different shoe. I actually don't see any Flywire on it either. Is this the right shoe I'm looking at?

Nike-Raketa--1.jpg

Originally Posted by KeonClark7

The Zoom Speed 8.0 looks to be a very different shoe. I actually don't see any Flywire on it either. Is this the right shoe I'm looking at?
yah that's it. the olympic raketa was not for commercial release. the zoom speed is the consumer version

i tried the flywire raketa out when some club players were demoing them for nike (around the time of the US Open).

I'm still not sold on flywire as anything more than the material its housed in providing the support.

Example - the Air Max LeBron 7. I've played in the white black gold version (flywire) and the red carpet version (NFW)

I noticed no noticeable performance difference between the two.

That being said, I would like to see flywire used in mesh, or at least carve more holes out of the TPU they currently use.

^ True. I always wondered if a Hyperdunk or Kobe IV with the same TPU laminate but without the Flywire would perform any different at all.

The original flywire basketball prototypes were basically Jordan XI or Zoom BB tooling and a mesh upper with flywire stitched to it. Why can't we see something closer to that?

10wqmo9.jpg

znu1xf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom