Disorder turning anchor's skin from black to white

[h1]Disorder turning anchor's skin from black to white

[/h1]
  • Story Highlights
  • Detroit TV anchor talks openly, writes about his changing skin color
  • He has vitiligo, in which pigment-making cells are destroyed
  • White patches appear on different parts of the body
  • Michael Jackson announced in the 1990s that he has the disorder
DETROIT, Michigan (AP) -- Lee Thomas' skin is betraying him.

art.vitiligo.makeup.ap.jpg

Lee Thomas uses creams and makeup to cover his growing patches of colorless skin.

corner_wire_BL.gif
art.vitiligo.makeup.ap.jpg

His once brown, even complexion is now mottled with pale patches around his eyes and mouth, along his nose and on his ears; his arms, shoulders and chestare speckled and blotched.

"I'm a black man turning white on television and people can see it," says Thomas, an anchor and entertainment reporter for the local FoxBroadcasting Company affiliate. "If you've watched me over the years, you've seen my hands completely change from brown to white."

Thomas has vitiligo, a disorder in which pigment-making cells are destroyed. White patches appear on different parts of the body, tissues in the mouth andnose, and the retina.

"There is no cause. There is no cure, and it's very random," Thomas says. "I could turn all the way white or mostly white."

CNN Article

I was at school with a kid with it - he was Chinese and had blotchy patches mostly on his arms and legs - that was 12 years ago now though so I don't whathas happened since then.

Lame title. This isn't new anyway. Many people of all races and backgrounds have vitiligo, it's just more noticeable with darker skin.

Isn't this means of banishment, not only for the misleading title, but this is racist too.

yea i dont find the Title funny at all either. Black Man turning White means he hit the Jackpot you tryna say right?

Originally Posted by GORDON GARTRELLE

Many people of all races and backgrounds have vitiligo, it's just more noticeable with darker skin.
Yup. This girl I'm dating has vitiligo, but only on her right shoulder. She's white, so it's not that noticeable unless you'relooking for it... or if she tans.

And lighten up on the title; dude's being sarcastic.

Black Man turning White means he hit the Jackpot you tryna say right?
Exactly. The impression I get is that the poster is equating being Black with being morally, socially or economically destitute and thereforeworth less than his White counterparts. Perhaps a poor choice of words/decision on his part, but that's a fairly clear message he's sending. Nothingfunny about that.

I also find it offensive because it's basically making folly of a serious subject. Reading the article, it clearly describes how people who have thiscondition are ridiculed to the point of self-hate developing a range of detrimental psychological issues because of people's ignorance and lack ofunderstanding. Nothing funny about that either.

Perhaps I'm being too serious, but it irks me.

I think this thread and pic was put up for some cheap 'comic' effect...but the way I see it, to tell you the honest truth, I think the only funnything is the thread starters 'life' (or lack thereof)..

The first rule of Comedy Club is BE FUNNY...

He has vitaligo. It's great to hear that he's overcome the psychological effects because it's common for people to have it in a case such as his tolose all or most of their confidence.

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

Many people of all races and backgrounds have vitiligo, it's just more noticeable with darker skin.
Yup. This girl I'm dating has vitiligo, but only on her right shoulder. She's white, so it's not that noticeable unless you're looking for it... or if she tans.

scenario. If we worked in an office together an he made that joke id report him to Human Resources put it like that.

Originally Posted by lurkin2long

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

Yup. This girl I'm dating has vitiligo, but only on her right shoulder. She's white, so it's not that noticeable unless you're looking for it... or if she tans.

scenario. If we worked in an office together an he made that joke id report him to Human Resources put it like that.
I agree, very well put
pimp.gif

Sarcasm doesnt work very well over the internet, failed and BANNED e-comedians should know that....

He has vitiligo, in which pigment-making cells are destroyed
So does that mean that cells are constantly keeping peoples skin their certain color? And its not permanent?

Back
Top Bottom