DJ Premier or Dr. Dre?

Dre is the most overrated figure in Hip-Hop history so this is an easy one...

Plus his beats have mainly aged horribly while Premo's stuff still sounds :smokin today

I think Premo's **** has aged wayyyy more than Dre's ****. Premo is really that sound from the 90s.

I think I might take Dre, and I love Prem...
Sidenote: Doggystyle might be the best engineered/sounding hiphop album of all time. All those beats STILL hit today.

edit: naw Premo the GOAT. Dude has hits with Nas, Biggie, J**** and pretty much any other rap dude you can name.

Preme gave Nas and Jay some of their best beats ever.

Dre gave them some of their worst.

&

VS

VS

http://youtu.be/JXBFG2vsyCM

I guess it all depends on what sound you like better. Dre's early 90's work is undeniable but a lot of the stuff he did after that with non-Aftermath artists is hit or miss. See The Firm and Kingdom Come.

They're both great....but outside of G-Funk Dre, I prefer Pemier's sound much more.

Dre has spurts of greatness and mediocrity. Early 90's...his era, late 90's....hot trash, 99 - early 2000's pure classics, mid 00's to now.....a lot of dookie with a few gems sprinkled in.

Preme's much more consistent and his sound fits a lot more artists than Dre's imo.

2012 Premier :smokin :smokin :smokin

http://youtu.be/1AoJUwL2FGE

Last edited:
I think Premo's **** has aged wayyyy more than Dre's ****. Premo is really that sound from the 90s.
I think I might take Dre, and I love Prem...
Sidenote: Doggystyle might be the best engineered/sounding hiphop album of all time. All those beats STILL hit today. edit: naw Premo the GOAT. Dude has hits with Nas, Biggie, J**** and pretty much any other rap dude you can name.
yes, i agree with this statement. I listened to it the other day and the lions flow today compared to 92....:smh::x:stoneface:
on topic, I agree. Premo takes the cake.

Both are genius.

Primo embodies that NYC sound so well...

Dre does the same for that LA sound.

Primo is very exciting, but Dre got the catalogue.

I got to give it to Dre for sustainability reasons.  He's still relevant and making hits.

Nobody brought this up so I will....Dre gets SOOO much help from Mell-Man that it's tough for me to give him full credit. Granted, neither Dre nor Prem can read music, so I'm sure Prem gets help too, but not to the extent of Dre

Also, as many of you have pointed out, Dre has aged terribly, as far as his music goes...his last hit, in my opinion, was "In the Club"...since then, it's been a bunch of whacksauce (shout out to "I Need a Doctor" and "Kush")

Trufthfully, I can't think of any recent Preem tracks that have been bangers, but his classics vs Dre's classics (and dre definitely has some classics), I think Preem wins hands down. "Nas is Like" is a top 3 Nas song for me...I dont even need to get into his work on Illmatic...

2694725.jpg

+ Still DRE, Gin & Juice, The Real Slim Shady, In Da Club, Nuthin but a G Thang, etc.

:lol: @ the dude who compared them with their songs for Jay and Nas. Because the songs you do for those two determine the quality of your career. Yup.

Nobody brought this up so I will....Dre gets SOOO much help from Mell-Man that it's tough for me to give him full credit. Granted, neither Dre nor Prem can read music, so I'm sure Prem gets help too, but not to the extent of Dre

Also, as many of you have pointed out, Dre has aged terribly, as far as his music goes...his last hit, in my opinion, was "In the Club"...since then, it's been a bunch of whacksauce (shout out to "I Need a Doctor" and "Kush")

Trufthfully, I can't think of any recent Preem tracks that have been bangers, but his classics vs Dre's classics (and dre definitely has some classics), I think Preem wins hands down. "Nas is Like" is a top 3 Nas song for me...I dont even need to get into his work on Illmatic...

[

[

I really don't think Premo has ever produced bangers as in play it loud in your car like Dre has. Premo has always prodcued great stuff that you just vibe out to with your headphones on. And to me he's made that kind of music since he's been producing. Though '2001' is one of my favorite albums that I can still throw on today, Dre's recent beats have been the problem like a lot of people have already mentioned. I love that song "Imagine" by Snoop Dogg and "Grow Up" by Bishop Lamont, but those type of Dre beats are few and far between. He's definitely more likely to produce Kush, I Need a Doctor, and Popped Off today more than anything else.

Premo, because Dre pretty much lost his sound since around 2005 (outside of GRODT, The Documentary, and a handful of other tracks).Premo has been so consistent it's not even funny. Dre's beats for a long time have just been "boom, boom, smash, insert piano key".
And Premo since 2005 has.....
...still been cooking up heat rocks, consistently.

Educate yourself.

Listening to B Please right now. Gotta go with Dr. Dre.

Premier's beats have aged much better than Dre's. Premo's recent stuff >>>> Dre's.

But if you compare their top 20 beats of their career, I find it hard to beat out Dr. Dre.

Last edited:
Premier...

This is still  
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 tho

That wasn't Dre though. The beat was by Scott Storch. Pretty much all the dope beats from 2001 were Scott Storch and dre simply put his name on there he's been taking credit for other people's work his whole career. Someone probably (hopefully) already pointed this out I ain't even read the thread yet. But yea Premier all the way.

Last edited:
[
[

I really don't think Premo has ever produced bangers as in play it loud in your car like Dre has. Premo has always prodcued great stuff that you just vibe out to with your headphones on. And to me he's made that kind of music since he's been producing. Though '2001' is one of my favorite albums that I can still throw on today, Dre's recent beats have been the problem like a lot of people have already mentioned. I love that song "Imagine" by Snoop Dogg and "Grow Up" by Bishop Lamont, but those type of Dre beats are few and far between. He's definitely more likely to produce Kush, I Need a Doctor, and Popped Off today more than anything else.

Hol up, hol up, hol up, hol up, hol up....

Preem DEFINITELY has bangers...10 Crack Commandments...Recognize...None of Yall Better...Boom...Hip Hop...Rite Where You Stand...Mass Appeal...This list goes on forever...

laugh.gif
 dudes don't wanna give Dre credit for ****. 

I been holding out because both are ill, but it seems like Premo brings out the best flow in a rapper. But for that Khaled track I though Justice League produced the beat and Premo just added the scratches?

Had to add this...

But for that Khaled track I though Justice League produced the beat and Premo just added the scratches?

Wasn't aware of that.

Wait Scott Scorch produced Still DRE and Jay-Z wrote the lyrics? :x :smh:

Premier banger.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom