"DMV's" personal reviews -- Ye's "808s & Heartbreak"

I respect artists as such.

I expected (and predicted) a classic LP following the death of Ye's closest friend, his mother. I really can't imagine losing mine (or the affects),but death is something we all have to face.

However, my prediction was inaccurate (for once). And, I'm disappointed overall.

Personally, I think "3-Stacks" set the bar so high with the flawless "Love Below" that any rappergoing "left wing" must compete with that body of work in my opinion. Not only production and creative wise, but lyrically and the small nuances ineach track are timeless.

With that said, "808s & Hearbreak" gets a 2.5/5 from me.

I know 'Ye can do no wrong musically in the mind of many critics and Def Jam now, which is the main reason he got away with releasing this and itdidn't get shafted.

I'm a music buff. And I just can't get with this one. And I've forced myself to try.

Can't wait to read other people's takes on this LP, which is #1 on the Billboard (400k+ sold in first week).

very glad i burnt this thing, lol, if i would have spent 12 on it i woulda been PISSED.

ill leave my review as that...

all i can tell u two is to go back and listen again.....the album is good.....just give it another try lol

When I first heard it I hated it. I decided to give it another try and it really grew on me. The only track I dont like is the one with Wayne.

I wasn't too fond of it the first time..but after giving it a few more spins, it's an OK album IMO

young jeezy track, heartless, say you will & street lights are a few tracks I like.

^ oh ive listened to it more than once jupeezy, its not horrible, just not worth the money IMO, its good mood music for drivin, but i wouldnt be caught bumpin"love lockdown" in my car with my homies lol, i actually like the song with wayne, and the intro is
pimp.gif
. the CD sounds 10x better with a system, forthe non knowers 808 is a bassline, so the whole CD sounds crazy when i turn my subs up. its just.... not the kanye im familiar with, seems like dude was offthat water when he made this lol.

my favorite tracks are the intro, and #2 , the rest are just okay to me. i skip thru half of them.

this is some **%$%+ @%@$*#++ ... kanye sucks it hard now ... its disrespectful to his fans to put out this bull ***+

I really need to start keeping up with the Music of Today. I rarely listen to the Radio anymore...and when I do the song plays like 37 more times within anhour, so I stick to underground Mix CDs from Up Top that make radio play 6 months later if at all...

I still think Waynes body of work on Mix tapes is MUCH better than what actually makes it to radio... However.. I like Kev have noticed myself reaching backback to appreciate the music of my Youth, because there's not much to get excited about today...

I wasn't feelin' the overall album at first, but after letting it play over and over at work, I have developed a sincere fondness.

It's amazin'. It's the reason.

i went thru it once at home.. didnt feel it.

funny to me.. all my friends that are emo/depressed or out of relationships found this album amazing, hilarous

this is true rock....this isn't too much music to get hype about anymore...which is why i still listen to older stuff....and yea u might not wanna knock itriding with ur homies but the CD is official...u gotta remember he reinvents the wheel everytime he comes out....thats his thing he isn't gonna do whateverybody else is doing....its gonna b different and either ur gonna like it or hate it....i didnt like it first time around either but kept listening to itand it slowly but surely grew on me....pause.....but the CD is in regualr rotation now....that and q-tip's latest which isnt too bad after a few listensnow either....i tell u what i am NOT feeling currently though....common's new album....smh....

^^ Common should never work on his Album when Kanye is working on his. Cause Ye won't give him the good stuff...

He didn't just lose his mother, he lost his girl too. I think they broke up earlier this year.

That would explain the quality of music on this album. More expressing his feelings, then trying to make good music.

Don't be surprised if you see Nas drop an album similar to this, since Kelis wants to have sex with unsigned no skill having rappers..........
roll.gif

Album is ok I would give it a 3/5. I like half the songs(which works in the artist advantage since it's only 12 tracks)

I bump:
Say you will
Coldest winter
Welcome to heartbreak
Nightmares
So Amazing

I skip the rest(yes pinocchio's(?) story)..HE CAN'T SING! I swear he and wayne make pharell seem like Luther compared to them dudes.

i am i understand common tryna get that money...but damn homie...lol he on some breakin 3 type steez with this last one....as for kanye's album like i saidhe made the music he wanted to make....folks will either like or dislike it....it ain't for everybody. but wayne doing his whole album in autotone is gonnab scary same with poppa diddy pop LOL!

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

funny to me.. all my friends that are emo/depressed or out of relationships found this album amazing, hilarous
laugh.gif
pretty much. I been through some $@@ too but jeez, albummakes me wanna cut myself. I think the beats are average, the singing is AWFUL. He gets respect from me for trying to switch it up but I just don't thinkit is done very well. This was supposed to be his "Love Below" I guess but 3 Stacks actually had good songs.

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

laugh.gif
pretty much. I been through some $@@ too but jeez, album makes me wanna cut myself. I think the beats are average, the singing is AWFUL. He gets respect from me for trying to switch it up but I just don't think it is done very well. This was supposed to be his "Love Below" I guess but 3 Stacks actually had good songs.
Why these dudes think they can all sing? Stick to rapping/producing. Only rapper/singer album I like, who can actually sing is Phonte from LBon Foreign Exchange's Leave it All Behind. Even 3 stacks needs to stop this singing. Just cause you got a Grammy doesn't mean you can sing.

I think a lot of people are FORCING themselves to believe that it's a quality product from Kanye. Artists being eccentric in their approach is nothing new.We've embraced the likes of Cee-Lo and his Gnarls Barkely project, and also the direction that Andre 3K has gone as well. There's a reason why theirprojects have gotten praise from critics, and been accepted by even some of the most hardcore followers of OutKast and Goodie Mob.

I'm sorry, but this album just ain't doing it for me. The whole autotune thing has been beat to death, and I feel like Kanye COULD have done better fora 4th LP. Hopefully, he can get his life in order, and get back to making good music. It's no coincidence that his craft has taken a turn after the loss ofhis mother, breakup with his girl, and his PMS when the paparazzi is around. This is a grieving Kanye, and not the same dude we grew to expect GREAT thingsfrom when his name was attached to a project.

Originally Posted by RockDeep

I really need to start keeping up with the Music of Today. I rarely listen to the Radio anymore...and when I do the song plays like 37 more times within an hour, so I stick to underground Mix CDs from Up Top that make radio play 6 months later if at all...

I still think Waynes body of work on Mix tapes is MUCH better than what actually makes it to radio... However.. I like Kev have noticed myself reaching back back to appreciate the music of my Youth, because there's not much to get excited about today...

i feel the same way ... i havent listened to the radio in ages, although i do throw on 97.1 now to hear some holiday music ... but im rockin to scarfacesemeritus hard right now and i just got all the sqad up mixtapes from wayned remastered so im goin back and listening to those again ...

I didn't have any high standards set on it, I mean it's titled "808s and Heartbreaks", but it's been on heavy rotation in my car. I'mnot that critical to straight say it's garbage tho because it's not, it's pretty good. I was actually expecting less

It has to grow on you. I can appreciate the maturity it shows beyond the normal materialism and swagger. You can really genuinely tell he was going thru somethings and he chose to express it to the world and that took alot of courage. Plus it sounds good.

Like 3 bangers and the rest is suicide music. I know i should be sensitized to his mother passing and the breakup but this one's just not for me.

Back
Top Bottom