DMX hospitalized in critical condition from overdose

Screenshot_20210410-002333_Instagram.jpg

Like most adolescents, I would alternatively feel deep rage and despair punctuated with feelings of utter triumph and grandiosity. The former was nursed by Tool's brooding prog rock and Ramstein's nihilistic industrial metal. The latter were fed by hip hop, the oft confident expressions of sheer masculine power and wit dominating male rivals and female love interests alike.

DMX was a syncretic character. His on the mic persona, barely separated from his real self, dealt with angst and alienation in both ways. Dark pathos and triumphant boasts, albeit boasts tinged with deep sadness, animated his music. He was equally comfortable teaming up with pop stars to itemize his sexual conquests as he was with having a brutally honest dialectic with the almighty. He could herald his and his friends' ascendance as well as lament his deceased grandmother and the hymns she hummed as she prepared Sunday dinners. He could provide the unofficial anthem to Shaq and Kobe's first title run as skillfully as he could recount his experiences as a youth utterly crushed and abandoned under a brutal and punitive and apathetic criminal legal system and non existent social safety net.

Literature, oratory, history, philosophy, even science and mathematics can take us to places beyond our own narrow experiences and do so at a brisk pace. Music, music well made and well executed, that can take us to other places at a lightening fast pace. We lost a great pilot, who took us through the clouds of the muses, and the ability to navigate the full range of human experiences and emotions has been left weaker and poorer as a result.

I still remember when Get at me Dog, RR anthem, and How's it going down came out, I was so hyped about IDAHIH. Damian was the most intriguing track for me. Then, he drops FOMFBOMB at the end of the year. Everyone at school was so hyped about that. And then finding out there was a Damian II track. HOLY $H** !!!!! '98 was flames!!!

Literally what I did today. Started with IDAHIH and then FOFBOMB and finished with his big singles. I killed the workout, but his music didnt have me hype today. I was sad.

Finishing my tribute tonight. I dvr'd the bball game and just watching DMX movies.

Starting with Romeo Must Die....then Cradle to the Grave....then Belly....and ending on Exit Wounds.

what about Never Die Alone?

Back
Top Bottom