Do barbers make a good living?

I deaded my barber of 15 years after this past new years lol... mad shook I run into him... gonna hit him with the I moved to Florida and only visiting.

Dude was always messing up my cut and the under cut of my beard (hard to explain) was never straight with him, or any barber I've went to new barber included, and always rushing my cut and and the blending on my taper would show lines and the curve on my sideburn was always off or not equal to the other.

My new barber this young dominican dude right by under the J line where fulton begins in Brooklyn is hella nice, but he takes mad long to cut my hair and now I see that he's getting comfortable with me like my older barber did. I understand my hair cut would take longer than others because I get my full beard done and a skin taper, but he's always BS'ing with the other dudes in the shop. He just came back from Puerta Plata in DR and he's telling me about his stories out there and showing my all these chicks on his phone and even though they're good looking chicks I'm just like man I just want my hair cut.

Dudes is right about the networking though in my last barbershop, black barbershop, any and everything that was something came through in there. I heard about dudes getting murked, revenge killings, and types of crap... all different types of schemes and hustles you name it. My new shop, mostly Dominican, I'm not sure what the hell is going on due to the language barrier but the chicks passing by outside the shop while I'm there, especially on a hot day, :smh:

My last barber was paid and has all types of videos on youtube and placed second in the world barber competition, but he's not the nicest though... I would give that to this barber named Marvin who's only a couple of blocks away from my old barber, but it's a hassle dealing with him because everyone loves him as a barber because he's nice and most dudes Fridays and Saturdays is his Tuesday-Thursday because he's that nice and is always busy. He works off of appointments now, but he always has the knuckleheads in front of his shop and I think that's what drives good paying custy's away. Most of his custy's is thugs, crips from around the way, and jail dudes and they only tip like $1-$3 if any tip at all and he used to be mad happy when I would hit him with a $20 and my cut was only $10-$12.

My last barber was Tony Touch or some **** he started calling himself I don't know but if you youtube tony touch the barber you'll see him lol and look around you'll see other stuff he's into and he's paid as heck though because no branched off and started doing other stuff like opening up other barber shops and other crap.

Once you build up a clientele you open up your own shop. If u stay fully booked and have 6 chairs so u can rent out the other 5 you'll do fine. You can sell product in the shop for additional revenue stream. My barber charges $20/haircut and he stays booked plus u gotta factor in the tips, I usually hit him with $40 or $50 total. He lives in a decent area and pushes a 2011 e350 benz and got a baby mama and kid too.

Last edited:
I stopped rocking with one of my barbers too for that same reason. 

Told dude to stop trying to push my corners back, and he never listened. Like what the **** bruh?

I'm paying you, and you still trying to do it your way...nah man. That's why sometimes I go a month without a shape up in the front because I'm not trying to have my line pushed back. 

One of my old barbers had a cut line rule. For 100 u can jump to the front of the line and not wait at all. The dope boys always did this. Shop be packed at 12 and they come strolling in peeling off bills lol

One of my old barbers had a cut line rule. For 100 u can jump to the front of the line and not wait at all. The dope boys always did this. Shop be packed at 12 and they come strolling in peeling off bills lol

DAMN :rofl: I'd be heated if it was a friday and ive already been waiting in line for an hour

DAMN :rofl: I'd be heated if it was a friday and ive already been waiting in line for an hour

Happened to me more then once. I just knew I was next in the chair until someone paid 80 more then me and I had to wait another 45 min lol.

Barber around my way got decent $. My barber doesnt look like he balling. he got $$ though. Living comfortable. The Owner though.... he banking. Leaving the country every 2 months.

But.

melo-sf-post.jpg
The barber from Nike's documentart Swoosh! looks like he is doing OK.

:smh: :rofl: oh hell no! Imagine 3 dopeboys in a row skipping you, I'd be ready to kill a brotha

I stopped rocking with one of my barbers too for that same reason. 

Told dude to stop trying to push my corners back, and he never listened. Like what the **** bruh?

I'm paying you, and you still trying to do it your way...nah man. That's why sometimes I go a month without a shape up in the front because I'm not trying to have my line pushed back. 
They all get too comfy and sloppy eventually.

Was pondering owning a Barber/beauty salon.

Eat good off the weekly rent of each chair along w/ my regular job

Man I wanted to choke out this dude who used to cut my hair when I was a kid. My dude didn't cut my crown right and left a small area where the hair was lighter.
I'ma have to start getting on my current barber about tightening up, but how I go about that without being douchy? :lol:

Man I wanted to choke out this dude who used to cut my hair when I was a kid. My dude didn't cut my crown right and left a small area where the hair was lighter.
I'ma have to start getting on my current barber about tightening up, but how I go about that without being douchy? :lol:

I understand there is human error so I don't get too upset, but it's all in your approach. I usually would let my barber know before he cuts me that he cut my hair a certain way I didn't like last time and if he could do it differently this time. No conflict because to him he didn't make a mistake, it's just that your preference changed.

Some of yall gotta be referring to the Pablo Escobar's of the barbershop business. Real industry heavyweights. 
laugh.gif

I can only go by what I've seen over the course of 20 years at a half dozen barbershops in a few select cities. In a mid major urban city like Oakland with a population of plus or minus 500K and a barbershop or two in every single hood, 20 heads a day EVERYDAY, for a single barber has to be incredibly optimistic. 

****** getting cut at 6:00AM, what? 
roll.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom