Do I have to pay for this?

I worked as an seasonal employee at Circuit city. I got layed off two weeks ago because they had enough workers. Today i receive a letter that says I wasoverpaid and owe over four hundred dollars. Can i take legal action or do i have to pay this?

They wrote the check not you.

Circuit city's sinking anyway so they probably sent one of those to each of the thousands of workers they cleared out since last year.

laugh.gif

Are you serious? Tell them to f off.
They arent going to take you to court over $400, so dont even worry about it.

Originally Posted by seaner23

just toss that letter in the trash and pretend you never saw it.

Thats what I would do.

man i would have laugh at that letter and would have tried to roll one with it.

If they did over pay you and you had direst deposit they may find a way to get the money from you anyway. If not, they could also report it to the creditagencies as an amount due w/o payment which will lower your credit score. Why would you want to take money you didn't earn in the first place? Why burnbridges when you don't have to.

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

They wrote the check not you.

Circuit city's sinking anyway so they probably sent one of those to each of the thousands of workers they cleared out since last year.

hopefully that ain't true cause i don't wanna get one of those letters.

but dude you should check your pay stubs and find out when/where they overpaid you just to check if thats true

so that means I can send a letter to my job telling them they owe my X amount of dollars that they failed to pay me right?

Originally Posted by 18th letter

so that means I can send a letter to my job telling them they owe my X amount of dollars that they failed to pay me right?

If they actually underpaid you? You should be able to get any money owed. I don't think a letter will do it though
laugh.gif

once I worked 80 hours and they gave me a check for 35..and all they said was Oops, looks like you have to wait until the next pay period....which is 2 weeksaway

if you have direct deposit they can take it from ya bank account beware homeboy....

Circuit City over paid my friend as well by $300ish. He never got a letter in the mail like you did though. Or maybe he was suppose to and never did or he liedto us. No further action by CCity was taken.

You got layed off because the company is doing terrible. The year to year stock value has dropped ~50-60%
if not more. The company is not selling jack.

As it relates to your notice to pay them back, I'm sure there is something you can do about it. Afterall, they wrote
the checks, not you. I'm not sure what you can do exactly. It just goes to show that the company is desperate for funds.

Back
Top Bottom