Do people still Collect These??

i need to get it graded
embarassed.gif

Props to tree4twenty for coming in and dropping some real knowledge . . .

I have tons and tons of sports cards from the 80's and 90's . . . like 120,000 commons from the 80's (which isn't bad . . . I would love to seethe price of commons to be .50 - $1.00 a card in 30 years)

I also have all the RC's of our favorite stars . . . mostly PSA and BGS graded 8's and 9's . . . worth a fraction of what they sold for in theearly 2000's . . . Cards just took a dive . . .

Even with the dive though, I legitimately estimate my collection to be worth $3,000 - $5,000 with $3,000 being pretty conservative. Should be worth wayyyy more. . . from age like 7 -16, I put a ton of money into sports cards.

Man I remember ordering a vedning box of 1985 Topps baseball cards in 1998 with 2 McGwire rookies and sending them into PSA with the quickness . . . Little didI know, I was part of the problem.

They're worth damn near nothing now.

My dad had Pete Rose, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays just to name few until his mean cousins threw them out. He said he has never forgiven them for that. Allautographed when he met them after Mets games.

i have jordans rookie card signed with a couple other of his cards signed also.

how much can i get for those?

Originally Posted by doosta45

i have jordans rookie card signed with a couple other of his cards signed also.

how much can i get for those?

Depends on a few different things.

1) You will have to send them in to PSA/DNA and get them checked/certified. They charge by the player. MJ is $100 percard.
2) Depends on the condition of card and how it is signed.
3) If you dont get them authenticated - Less than regular retail value because nobody knows if it is a real sig. They pretty much assume that some kidtook a marker to it back in the day, which happened OFTEN. I remember being 13 or 14 and trying to forge a Cal Ripked Jr. card and lie to my friends.
smh.gif

I recommend PSA/DNA because they are the BEST. Selling prices will be much higher with them VS other companies. I have a baseball autographed by 11 playersfrom the 500 HR club, and it will cost me $400 just to send it in. If it comes back legit, price increases from about $500-$600 - $2500. If it is fake, theytake my $400 and send me a letter back telling me it isn't worth %%*+....

nerd.gif
anyone know any sites that can give a value, like an online Beckett?
nerd.gif

I haven't found a free one yet. Beckett online cost money. I haven't bought any cards in a few years, so I really have no need. I justlook at eBay if needed....

You all realize that just because the card is from the year the guy came into the league it doesnt mean its his rookie card in terms of value? There isgenerally 1 card all out of all them that is actually worth anything....And you dont need to get stuff graded all you gotta do is type in the card on ebay andsee what their going worth. Grading cards will probably cost more than their worth. So dont think getting a card graded will increase their value that much.

i have every kobe rookie card.
even the topps chrome rookie card that was at like 300 graded.
my relatives all called it my college tuition right there and right now, not worth %%*. but those were the days
but i remember my aunt would get boxes off ebay.
jersey cards, autographs. i know i spent alot on trading cards, but those were the good ol days. while everyone was playing with pokemon, i have a room filledwith trading cards. i guess that was my thing when i was younger.
but my aunt got this off a pack at 7-11
1998SP95VinceCarterPSA10.jpg

this %%* was 400 dollars at the time.
this was my favorite card
678c_1.JPG

oh and i had this jordan LAST GAME card, that had a piece of the floor from the 98 finals. but yeah not his last game
but i was excited for that.
gosh nostalgia.

Originally Posted by jdizzle75

You all realize that just because the card is from the year the guy came into the league it doesnt mean its his rookie card in terms of value? There is generally 1 card all out of all them that is actually worth anything....And you dont need to get stuff graded all you gotta do is type in the card on ebay and see what their going worth. Grading cards will probably cost more than their worth. So dont think getting a card graded will increase their value that much.

Que?

That went right over my head....

You're saying that even though it's the players 1st year card and in most cases, says "rookie card" on the card, it's not actually hisrookie card because the value might be less than another card?? So if there was a 2nd year LeBron card that was worth more than his RC, you would consider thathis RC?

As far as the grading goes, I only find it useful on certain cards. Expensive cards, vintage cards, cards that are worth more than a couple hundred dollars,cards that I can tell are in PRISTINE condition. why waste your time if they are cheap or creased? You're acting like everyone is sending 1987 Topps in toget graded...

PS - It only cost $9/card through BGS. So no, it won't cost more than they are worth. What are you going to send in a 1990 Topps checklist?

86' Fleer MJ RC ungraded: $700 - $1100
Same card graded an 8-8.5: $1500 - $2200
Same card graded Gem mint 10: $3000 - $4500

Pujols 2001 Bowman Chrome Auto ungraded: $2200 - $2500
Same graded Gem mint: $13,000 - $15,000

Even with not so expensive cards:

82' Topps traded Ripken RC ungraded: $70 - $85
Same graded a 9: $150 - $170
Same graded a 10: $300+

(That's prices based on BGS grading. Company matters)

How is that NOT worth the $9 charge? Plus, it doesn't just up the value in most cases. It also lets you know that your card is, indeed, real. And it putsit in a tamper proof case. Hell, a nice card case in the store would run you $5-$6 anyways...

And yes, fake cards are rampant. Just like shoes. I have a 82' Topps Ripken RC that got stopped halfway through the printing process, leaving the back ofthe card blank because the colors were slightly off. At first, I thought it was some kind of error card, but later found out it was the start of a fake.

^^^ LOL

Go ahead and use the BIN so you get free shipping.
roll.gif

I should have pulled the trigger for $400 8 years ago. I know it wouldn't have been Gem mint, but it would be worth atleast a few stacks...
smh.gif

The only one (so far) that is graded pristine:

LeBron

UNGRADED

That 2nd one was $300/pack - 4 cards per pack!!!

The last pack of basketball cards i bought i got a Bill Russell auto.

I got excited like a little kid.

I was heavy into this from like 91-98. Used to know prices of damn near every card out there (basketball). I thought I had mad loot collecting until I tookall my shh into a card store and dude laughed at me
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
Anyway, someone said it earlier that cards aint worth spit anymore unless theyare Graded, or came with an auto or jersey piece. I dont care tho. I still look at my binder full of inserts and remember the good old days
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by tree4twenty

^^^ LOL

roll.gif

I should have pulled the trigger for $400 8 years ago. I know it wouldn't have been Gem mint, but it would be worth atleast a few stacks...
smh.gif

LeBron

UNGRADED

The Exquisite (the 2nd one you have linked) was $500 MSRP from Upper Deck, but after they were sold out from the factory, they quickly went up around $800 perpack. Now they can be had if you can find them for about $1200 per pack. My dad and I split one for $700 ($350 a piece) about 2 months after release and got a%+@#!!# Luke Walton rookie. I about cried.

The Exquisite (the 2nd one you have linked) was $500 MSRP from Upper Deck, but after they were sold out from the factory, they quickly went up around $800 per pack. Now they can be had if you can find them for about $1200 per pack. My dad and I split one for $700 ($350 a piece) about 2 months after release and got a %+@#!!# Luke Walton rookie. I about cried.
eek.gif
@ dropping $700 on a pack.

laugh.gif
@ you getting a Luke Walton card,
roll.gif

I have a bunch of cards, commons in boxes, good cards in binders. When I was in elementary and middle school, I would drop the little money I had on cards,
ohwell.gif
. I had the, "these things will be worth a lot of money in thefuture" mentality...FTL!

Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs

^^^ LOL

roll.gif

smh.gif

LeBron

UNGRADED

The Exquisite (the 2nd one you have linked) was $500 MSRP from Upper Deck, but after they were sold out from the factory, they quickly went up around $800 per pack. Now they can be had if you can find them for about $1200 per pack. My dad and I split one for $700 ($350 a piece) about 2 months after release and got a %+@#!!# Luke Walton rookie. I about cried.

LOL @ Luke Walton. For that price, players like that shouldn't even be allowed in the set. I must be thinking of something else for $300.

I remember watching videos of people opening up multiple cases of those. 3 boxes per case.
eek.gif

Edit: I just seen a video where they open (15) 07/08 boxes. 15. Wish it was me.
grin.gif

roll.gif
i litterally busted out laughing when you told us about the luke waltoncard.

i have never collected sports cards before, but are you telling me there are packs of cards that cost 300 bucks? MSRP? when did this happen?

The companies watered down the market with, literally, hundreds of different insert sets. Then they added hundreds of autos, game used cards, redemptions for originals, and with all that,
what are inserts, autos, game used cards and redemption for originals?

Back
Top Bottom