Do Real Hockey Fans Get Mad at us Bandwagon Rangers fans?

Not a bandwagon Rangers, fan but not a "real" fan who watches every game and follows the team all year either.

I'm from New York and I've always supported the Rangers, because they're my home team. Hell, I even have some Rangers apparel at home that I wear around the apartment. I guess I could be considered a bandwagon fan since I'm excited that they're in the finals, but i have no shame rooting for my home team.

I agree with the people that said having these bandwagon fans is good for the NHL. Hockey needs all the fans they can get. It's pretty damn exciting watching a hockey game :pimp:

I'm in a similar position. Maybe if I lived in NY, I'd be able to follow the Rangers more often.. but I definitely make an effort to watch as many playoff games as I can.

My feelings in general with "bandwagon" fans is so long as you don't pretend like you've been there for years.. through the bad and the good.. then it's okay. If through some miracle the Knicks ever win, I know it'll be a little annoying if fans pop up and claims they've been there for a decade :lol: but it's the way it goes. OKB pointed out how it usually works, it's nothing new.

A championship run can always bring new fans to the sport or to the team and to me that's always good.

Plus, as long as you're not an ******* about it.

There's a couple younger kids at the office who were messing with this ~ 50's Islanders fan. Guy asked him to name a couple players off the 94 team and they really couldn't outside of I think Mike and Messier...guy starts name dropping the Roland Melason and Ken Morrow names of those old NYI Cup winners and they had to walk away :lol:

I don't watch Hockey and these bandwagon fans annoy me :lol:

Seems like everyone on my timeline is a LA Kings fan :lol: :smh:

Plus, as long as you're not an ******* about it.

There's a couple younger kids at the office who were messing with this ~ 50's Islanders fan. Guy asked him to name a couple players off the 94 team and they really couldn't outside of I think Mike and Messier...guy starts name dropping the Roland Melason and Ken Morrow names of those old NYI Cup winners and they had to walk away :lol:

Islanders dude is gonna be real salty when they have a re-branding and take up residence in BK :lol:

As a NYer I will always root for any NY team....except for the Giants.
Hows that working out?

I like the Rangers... I feel like I was cheated at a young age when I became a Sabres fan, cant make myself change after all these ****** years. 
laugh.gif
sick.gif

Last edited:
there are bandwagon fans that make a fanbase look bad, which is beyond annoying. and then there's fans who are 100% up front about rooting for the hometown team because they're making a run at a title. those fans are perfectly fine IMO and great for sports i think. i even think some of those fans end up becoming actual hockey fans.

i know for me personally, i think it's pretty damn cool having NTers who have never posted in the NHL thread coming in there saying how much they're enjoying the playoffs or a certain game or series. love that part about it.

I'll be honest. I watched a kings game here and there when I was a kid. Growing up in LA they played them on KCAL or KTLA. When they made the cup run in 2012 I have been a fan ever since and started to watch hockey a lot more. My friends would look at me funny when I woulr turn away from NBA playoff basketball to watch Playoff hockey.

Rooting for the hometown team can expose people to sports they many not normally watch. I'm all for it.

I'll be honest. I watched a kings game here and there when I was a kid. Growing up in LA they played them on KCAL or KTLA. When they made the cup run in 2012 I have been a fan ever since and started to watch hockey a lot more. My friends would look at me funny when I woulr turn away from NBA playoff basketball to watch Playoff hockey.

Rooting for the hometown team can expose people to sports they many not normally watch. I'm all for it.
01 when they upset the Red Wings and took the Avalanche to 7 is what really got me following them.  I watched hockey casually before that but that 01 run got me into it alot.

On wednesday, some dudes at the bar got their jimmies rustled because I had the bartender change the heat pacers game to the Kings Blackhawks game even though this was a bar in Los Angeles, and neither the Heat or Pacers play in Los Angeles but the Kings do.

I wanted the kings to lose just to shut these people up out here in LA. Might as well win it now.

I lived in NY for the 94 Rangers run. It was special. My family wasn't really into hockey but I remember my Uncle's buying me shirts and hats at the time.

I'm not a hockey fan but I watch a few Rangers games a year. Just a couple. I prefer going to the game than watching on TV. I have some gear that I wear once in a blue moon. If they win it this year, I'm not going out and buying gear and claiming to be a fan. I will be watching the Cup though. I'm excited about it.

ill watch and root for the team while they are playing.

but i wont go out in public talking about hockey like if i was watching it for years.

a lot of these kings fans talk to me like if they have been watching it for years but know damn well that they didnt know **** about hockey 4 years ago lol

I don't watch Hockey and these bandwagon fans annoy me :lol:

Seems like everyone on my timeline is a LA Kings fan :lol: :smh:

ill watch and root for the team while they are playing.

but i wont go out in public talking about hockey like if i was watching it for years.

a lot of these kings fans talk to me like if they have been watching it for years but know damn well that they didnt know **** about hockey 4 years ago lol
I wanted the kings to lose just to shut these people up out here in LA. Might as well win it now.

should rename the thread to "Do Non Hockey Fans Get Mad at us Bandwagon Rangers/Kings Fans"

:lol: seem more bothered than actual fans

As a die hard Rangers fan, I really don't mind all the bandwagoners hoping along. I think it's great for the sport of hockey to continue to grow their fanbase and get new people watching the games. I just can't stand when people start talking about the game or etc, and know nothing about whats going on. If you're going to pretend to be a fan, then actually watch and know what you're talking about.

I've seen a lot more people wearing Rangers gear lately, and it's pretty cool to see. For some reason, many people don't give hockey a chance, even though it's the most exciting and fast paced sport. I love basketball, but the final 3 minutes can take a half hour, which is pretty ridiculous. There is nothing better then watching a playoff hockey game, because of all the intensity and nonstop action. Just look at an NHL playoff overtime game for example. No commercial timeouts at all.

It's pretty fascinating to see people all around the city walking around in Rangers gear. I just don't like the fact that because of all these new business fans, the cheapest ticket to get into a SCF is around $1,100.

You have to start being a fan somewhere.

NHL Playoffs are too live :smokin except when the Caps are in, cause I know the inevitable is coming :smh:

Ever since going to school where the main sport was hockey (Quinnipiac) I've been a huge fan. Helps that one of my buddies is in the league now and two of my other homies will be headed there as well after our senior year.

Rangers/Blackhawks would've been an unreal Cup, but LA/NY is just as good.

Bandwagon is the dumbest term is in sports.

How can you get mad when your team gets popular?

Last edited:

There's something to be said about sticking w/ your team even when they suck. Makes the good years all that much better.

I need kings in 6.

Now all these dudes coming out cheering for the rangers and new Yorks team :rolleyes

I still want the Rangers to win it but I'm in DC seeing all kinds of Rangers gear now. Rarely see anything other than the Capitals but now I'm seeing plenty of blue :smh:

There's something to be said about sticking w/ your team even when they suck. Makes the good years all that much better.

Agreed. I will shed real tears IF I EVER see the Knicks win a ring :smh:

I still want the Rangers to win it but I'm in DC seeing all kinds of Rangers gear now. Rarely see anything other than the Capitals but now I'm seeing plenty of blue :smh:
Verizon Center is always filled with Rangers fans when they're in town. Nothing new to me. Even in the playoffs.

understandable...

But let's be real... Everybody likes winners.

What wrong with acknowledge it?

I compare it to people bashing fans of the heat just because Lebron got there...

Well... DUH... :lol:

Verizon Center is always filled with Rangers fans when they're in town. Nothing new to me. Even in the playoffs.

I've been to the games here and I know a good amount of fans travel. I don't see much Ranger gear around here unless they're in town. I've seen A LOT of gear around here the last week or two.

I've always wondered what hardcore Sharks fans think about people that pop up when the Warriors season is over.

Back
Top Bottom