Do you find it rude when people ask how much you paid for a "big" purchase?

Maybe it's just me, but I find it really irritating when people ask how much you pay for big purchase items.  I would NEVER as someone how much they paid for a car, house, etc.  If it's information they are willing to share w/o having to ask, fine.  But don't expect me to ask how much you paid.  Why do people have to know? 

Never bothered me, personally. But I can see why it would offend. It's one of those taboo questions, like what was your college/ high school gpa, have you ever had an STD, how many partners have you had, etc.

i dont think its rude. i think when ppl ask how much, they generally want to know in case they buy something similar in the future or it could be just some small talk and theyre curious to see if u got a good deal or if you over payed.

Originally Posted by prison mike

Yea, it's very annoying and rude.

Especially, when that's the first thing they say. I guess it's sorta like you don't ask a woman how old she is
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Maybe it's just me, but I find it really irritating when people ask how much you pay for big purchase items.  I would NEVER as someone how much they paid for a car, house, etc.  If it's information they are willing to share w/o having to ask, fine.  But don't expect me to ask how much you paid.  Why do people have to know? 

Honesty I just ask when it comes to certain things just for a gauge in prices or to compare. It's not to determine wealth , but if someone told me for example they paid 750,000 for a house and in the area houses to for 1M+ I wonder why ? ( area? School? Etc....) maybe a good deal or negotiating skills, just for future endeavors .

I think its 
sick.gif
 when people offer that info but someone maybe asking for their own info rather than to count your pockets.
For instance

DoubleJso7:"I got a great deal on this stock v6 challenger."

ripyzyz:"That's cool" -____-

I think it would be perfectly understandable for someone to ask, maybe that person would like to purchase as well

Originally Posted by NORCALHUSSLA

i dont think its rude. i think when ppl ask how much, they generally want to know in case they buy something similar in the future or it could be just some small talk and theyre curious to see if u got a good deal or if you over payed.

When it's instances like this I don't mind it but when people ask just to ask that's rude. Like everything in life the motive determines how I feel.

Originally Posted by RIPyzyz

I think its 
sick.gif
 when people offer that info but someone maybe asking for their own info rather than to count your pockets.
For instance

DoubleJso7:"I got a great deal on this stock v6 challenger."

ripyzyz:"That's cool" -____-

I think it would be perfectly understandable for someone to ask, maybe that person would like to purchase as well
I agree...if they open up the conversation talking about the great deal they got...then yea, asking how much is a standard follow up question. 

never bothered me...

I always give them a ballpark figure anyway.

I find it annoying because what I tell them is irrelevant lol. It doesn't help them or break them so who cares. I guess human beings are just curious and nosey at the same time lol.

It doesn't bother me at all. But years ago I was chatting with a friend and he was going on and on about how high his child support payments were around 2k a month because he made X amount of money. He had also just bought a huge house and was saying something about his payments and blah blah blah. So I asked how much he paid for the house. Good Lord he gave me a look from hell and then proceeded to tell me how rude I was. He made me feel 2" tall. I've never contemplated asking anyone an even remotely personal financial question ever again.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by NORCALHUSSLA

When it's instances like this I don't mind it but when people ask just to ask that's rude. Like everything in life the motive determines how I feel.

Pretty much. I would never just ask someone out of the blue.

I normally don't mind it too much because i consider myself a smart shopper.  So most big purchases i make i research for months before i buy and i usually know i got a deal.

But i can see why people would be offended by it.  Like they just want to throw it in your face they got a better TV for cheaper.

Bill: How much was that TV its nice
Chris: I paid $1,100 for it
Bill: Oh I actually have the 56 in version and i only paid $900
Chris: Uh.....ok?

But just mask the question if you really want to know.  "Oh was that new tv expensive?"  leaves it open for a "No wasn't too bad" or a "No i only paid $1,100".  But i don't think anything is taboo myself.  I always found it weird when people got offended when people ask what they make a year.  People will ask me and I am always like oh i make $52k a year how about you? And they hit me with the
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
that's private. 

Originally Posted by optimusp517

I find it annoying because what I tell them is irrelevant lol. It doesn't help them or break them so who cares. I guess human beings are just curious and nosey at the same time lol.

NOT, believe it or not more people want deals, if you told me you got a 2012 jeep srt8, I'm going to ask did you get a deal or usual msrp? And what dealership? No way is that rude, if I'm like how much is in your savings? Then that's Over stepping a boundary, most of you guys are ridiculous in here, no way is asking how much did you pay for your house as taboo as asking someone if they have an std, big ticket items are in no way taboo subjects

i think its wack when they criticize your purchase after you tell them how much you paid... its like why ask then

I find it rude if its a pretty expensive item, annoying if its a cheap item, i mean you cant guess what something like that costs?
laugh.gif

You cant blame some people tho, they really just wanna get a ball park estimate

I always feel uncomfortable and throw out a low number, figure they don't know
Reminds me of Seinfeld's new jacket
laugh.gif
"YOU ARE SICK! YOU KNOW THAT?!"

Originally Posted by optimusp517

NOT, believe it or not more people want deals, if you told me you got a 2012 jeep srt8, I'm going to ask did you get a deal or usual msrp? And what dealership? No way is that rude, if I'm like how much is in your savings? Then that's Over stepping a boundary, most of you guys are ridiculous in here, no way is asking how much did you pay for your house as taboo as asking someone if they have an std, big ticket items And how much you paid are in no way taboo subjects

I was brought up to never ask how much someone makes, how much something cost them or who they voted for.

I find the same question when asked to me uncomfortable and none of your God damn business.

Back
Top Bottom