DO you guys know where I can find some raw footage's of Washington DC in the 1970's and 1980's?

I was born in 87 and obviously I can't remember how things were in Washington DC in the 80's. I want to see how things were in the DMV in the 70's and 80's such as, crime and everything else. I even try to find video's o youtube of DC in the 70's and 80's, but I can't find anything. If anyone can't can someone shed some light on how DC was in the 70's and 80's for those old enough o remember? I'm just curious on how things were in general. I had a post about NYC in the general forum about how things were in those decades, so this post is similar.

A family member of mine notified me of this thread. I am always down to talk about the 70s, 80s and 90s.

There is lots of video footage and photos of this time period available. You just have to know where to look.

I will start off by posting a link of video footage of ******** fans in southeast celebrating the *******'s 1988 super bowl victory. 

Enjoy.

My update for the day.

Locally, you did not need to have cable television to watch the Bullets and the Capitals play.

One could get their daily/weekly local NBA/NHL fix without having to pay for it. 

There were more movie theatres in DC back then. Lots more. I will try to locate pictures of some of them.

Going to the movies was a lot more fun because there were so many options.

Heading out the door on foot (day or night) was exciting. 

Today we have overpriced tickets, overpriced food, overpriced stadium seating, overpriced everything.    

Here is a Go Go documentary from the late 1980s. Part 1.

Parts 2-6 can be found on the video page to the right. 

Enjoy. 

Way before the UFC came to DC and way before the UFC itself even existed there were full contact Martial Arts events held in DC during the 1970s and the 1980s.

Here is an advertisement for an event held during the late 1980s. 

Rap City was filmed in DC from the late 1980s up until the late 1990s.

Keep in mind during this time period is when many claim rap music was at its peak and did not suck horribly like it does today.

On any given day you could find the top rap artists of the 1980s and the 1990s on the streets of DC filming an episode of Rap City or just hanging out with the locals.

^ Here is video footage of 2Pac hanging out of the corner of 11th & F

^ Here is video footage of Big Punisher and Mobb Deep hanging out outside of THE WIZ in front of Iverson Mall. 

View media item 371573

Rap City was filmed in DC from the late 1980s up until the late 1990s.
Keep in mind during this time period is when many claim rap music was at its peak and did not suck horribly like it does today.

On any given day you could find the top rap artists of the 1980s and the 1990s on the streets of DC filming an episode of Rap City or just hanging out with the locals.

^ Here is video footage of 2Pac hanging out of the corner of 11th & F

^ Here is video footage of Big Punisher and Mobb Deep hanging out outside of THE WIZ in front of Iverson Mall. 

Classic clips my man, REPPED!! Was the "basement" at BET's studios in NE (Brentwood area?) I assume so, but just checking out of curiosity... They filmed Teen Summit there too if I'm not mistaken....

Teen Summit was definitely filmed in DC.

I am not sure about Rap City The Basement though.

1998 - early 1999 were the last Rap City episodes I remember that were filmed on the streets of DC.

After that, most of the episodes of Rap City were either filmed inside The Basement or on the streets of New York City.

Then it got to the point where they just stayed inside The Basement for every single episode and they did not go out on the streets anymore. (Which was lame in my opinion)

I am guessing The Basement episodes were all filmed in New York City because BET moved most of their programming to New York City around 2000.

The Basement looked the same during its entire run so thats why I am guessing it was the same studio from the beginning to the end.

Rap City became completely unwatchable in it's last few years. The hosts sucked. The videos they played sucked.

I could not watch it for longer than 5 minutes without changing the channel.  

^ Part 1

^ Part 2

There was a lot of Police corruption in DC, Montgomery County and Fairfax County during the 1980s.

I do not want to get into specifics here but there were plenty of high profile cases which were picked up by the media.

I have posted a video link above to one of those cases.

^ WAVA FM mid 1980s

^ WKYS FM early 1980s

^ WOOK FM early 1980s

Radio was a hell of a lot better in the DC area during the 1980s than right now.

I dont even bother listening to the radio anymore. It is a waste of my time.

Here are a few clips of the some of the top DC radio stations during the 1980s.

Go get the footage from the Rayful Edmunds story .. they have a lot of the broke down side of the city at that time 

$13.50 could get you a seat in the 100 level for an NBA game over at the Capital Centre.

Thats just one level above floor seating. You could see superstars such as Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Dr J, Isiah Thomas, Moses Malone and George Gervin up close for less than $20.

You could buy a drink and a hot dog and still have change left over. Trying doing that now over at the Verizon Center. $20 wont get you sh*t.

The t shirts they sell in the Verizon Center store cost more than that.

In addition to Champs and Foot Locker etc... there were local spots such as Boyce & Lewis, Irving's Sport Shops & Cheap Sneaks etc... to buy gear at.

Downtown Locker Room and Sports Zone both opened up in the early/mid 1980s.

There were no retro/throwback movements during this time period.

This was a time of innovation and moving forward.

In the 1980s and 1990s if you showed up to school wearing retro shoes or retro gear from the 1950s. 1960s 1970s etc... in most cases you would have gotten laughed at.

Laughed at right out of the building.

Nobody cared if you owned the Jordans from 5 years ago because everyone was all about the current Jordans that were out.

I think this current skinny jeans, retro shoes, throwback snapback script hats movement of the past 5-10 years sucks.

Its all crap.

Innovate and move forward instead of stealing from the past.

^ Real

^ Fake

If somebody wants to wear a retro throwback script snapback hat thats fine just dont go walking around town acting cocky thinking you are the sh*t because in reality you are doing nothing more than borrowing fashion from a previous decade. 

^ Teenagers and young adults getting high and getting drunk in the Capital Centre parking lot.

1986. Good times.

Back
Top Bottom