Do you think Em does the numbers he does because he is white?

Originally Posted by FudgeMoney24

That's beyond ridiculous. He sells because he is the best rapper out.

Call me a stan I don't care but it's true.

I don't get why people don't give him the credit he deserves.

A better question to pose in a thread would be: "Does Eminem not get the credit he deserves because he is white?"

okay, Stanley 

He does the numbers he does because of his reputation more than anything else.

Let Kanye/Lil Wayne/Some other big name drop an album with a decently popular single preceding it and see if they don't do big numbers.

I'm sure he's much more appealing to the suburban demographic than most other rappers, but here's what I don't get:

You have all these rappers who want to occupy that "gangster" niche, even though that crap got beyond stale by the mid 90s. You have rappers who
continue to release album after album of essentially the same material, but people act surprised when they stop selling, if they even did big numbers to begin with.
So Eminem, along with many others who are not nearly as popular, actually rap about different/more realistic things and they appeal to a much, much wider range of people. Why is there this bitterness when he sells? Try actually making some meaningful music and not sounding like every other rapper out there.

He does the numbers he does because of his reputation more than anything else.

Let Kanye/Lil Wayne/Some other big name drop an album with a decently popular single preceding it and see if they don't do big numbers.

I'm sure he's much more appealing to the suburban demographic than most other rappers, but here's what I don't get:

You have all these rappers who want to occupy that "gangster" niche, even though that crap got beyond stale by the mid 90s. You have rappers who
continue to release album after album of essentially the same material, but people act surprised when they stop selling, if they even did big numbers to begin with.
So Eminem, along with many others who are not nearly as popular, actually rap about different/more realistic things and they appeal to a much, much wider range of people. Why is there this bitterness when he sells? Try actually making some meaningful music and not sounding like every other rapper out there.

You're joking, right? It's foolish to assume he isn't moving units because he's white and he's a rapper. C'mon now.

Recovery is like the white boy Illmatic....
laugh.gif

Not sure if serious either.

You're joking, right? It's foolish to assume he isn't moving units because he's white and he's a rapper. C'mon now.

Recovery is like the white boy Illmatic....
laugh.gif

Not sure if serious either.

his white factor was an intrigue earlier on in his career. for him to remain THIS consistent sales-wise and in this game, his skills speak for himself.

his consistency is something to behold

his white factor was an intrigue earlier on in his career. for him to remain THIS consistent sales-wise and in this game, his skills speak for himself.

his consistency is something to behold

^ Exactly. You don't see Asher Roth or Paul Wall selling like Em and I'm pretty sure Yelawolf won't either if he releases an album.

It's not like being white automatically equals record sales.

Eminem just continues to release excellent lyrical material with (usually) equally excellent production.

^ Exactly. You don't see Asher Roth or Paul Wall selling like Em and I'm pretty sure Yelawolf won't either if he releases an album.

It's not like being white automatically equals record sales.

Eminem just continues to release excellent lyrical material with (usually) equally excellent production.

White people having someone with a 100% caucasian ethnicity + above average lyrical ability, that is raw BUT also has contraversial singles that get everyone talking = Great numbers & growing fanbase because people wanna hear what he is going to say next.

White people having someone with a 100% caucasian ethnicity + above average lyrical ability, that is raw BUT also has contraversial singles that get everyone talking = Great numbers & growing fanbase because people wanna hear what he is going to say next.

duh... he's dope. and the fact that he sells takes nothing away from his skill... but that single wasn't even playing like 'over' was and dude still moved more units... white kids got money, thats not his fault... album was coo tho

duh... he's dope. and the fact that he sells takes nothing away from his skill... but that single wasn't even playing like 'over' was and dude still moved more units... white kids got money, thats not his fault... album was coo tho

Maybe because white people can relate with him without feeling fake, and they have money and support artist they like vs. bootlegging.

Maybe because white people can relate with him without feeling fake, and they have money and support artist they like vs. bootlegging.

Originally Posted by I AM NAS

alot of great posts but this, this is the part i dont get to drakes over and other singles were blasting ever where and em single didnt really blast off till the album came out and he still can push 700k easy in his first week.

Originally Posted by I AM NAS

alot of great posts but this, this is the part i dont get to drakes over and other singles were blasting ever where and em single didnt really blast off till the album came out and he still can push 700k easy in his first week.

"Lets do the math if I was black I woulda sold half."

Em appeals to everyone, but I think he relates to white people the most compared to other white rappers like Asher Roth or Bubba Sparx.  Em is wayyyyy more talented compared to them anyways, can't deny his skills as 1 of the best to do it but him being white does have a little influence, but if he was black, he may even get more respect.  Him being white is kind of a disadvantage at times, not with sales, but with the way he's viewed in hip-hop.

"Lets do the math if I was black I woulda sold half."

Em appeals to everyone, but I think he relates to white people the most compared to other white rappers like Asher Roth or Bubba Sparx.  Em is wayyyyy more talented compared to them anyways, can't deny his skills as 1 of the best to do it but him being white does have a little influence, but if he was black, he may even get more respect.  Him being white is kind of a disadvantage at times, not with sales, but with the way he's viewed in hip-hop.

Being white helps a lot, but if he didn't have the skill, it probably wouldn't matter.

To answer the question, yes.

Being white helps a lot, but if he didn't have the skill, it probably wouldn't matter.

To answer the question, yes.

Back
Top Bottom