Does anyone else not feel sympathy for Brittney Griner?

I wonder when Griner was first being detained if the Russian authorities even really knew who she was. She sticks out for obvious reasons but I wonder if initially the Russians had zero clue who she was.

I feel slightly bad for her. Agreed this is more of a political move.

I feel bad because I heard that she mistakenly left it in there when packing in a rush. Don't think it was intentional because she plays there every year. I also do understand the whole if this was somebody else comment for a few reasons:

1. Women are never viewed as equals to men, hence the pay gap. Lebron James wouldn't have to play overseas because he is more then compensated fairly here
2. A Living wage is subjective. 220k may not be a living wage based on your background and status. also she is only one in 14 women in the whole WNBA making over 200k. The avg wnba player makes 120k and thats not a lot of money at all. Granted the WNBA does suck and is wild boring but again: Gender/pay gap issues.

I Never Would Have Expected Your Post To End Turnt Up Like This :lol:

Don't know why you guys keep saying she makes $120k when she makes $227k. Regardless, the salary has very little to do with it

What's always been crazy to me is countries like Russia pay female players over a mil a year while in the US that number is >300k.

Like, is women's basketball that popular over there? I know the oligarchs run those teams but I never fully got that.

I guess the debate is if they were paid more she wouldn’t have to play overseas.

But once again idk how the WNBA is going to get this player pay increase w/o being more profitable

I just don't think that debate makes sense in the context of this situation

Pay them 3x more (which the league can easily do) and some players would choose to earn more in the long off season

A scenario where the WNBA pays players so much that it's not worth the player's time/risk to play overseas isn't realistic

At least when it comes to the Russia. Idk if other women's leagues overseas pay as well

What's always been crazy to me is countries like Russia pay female players over a mil a year while in the US that number is >300k.

Like, is women's basketball that popular over there? I know the oligarchs run those teams but I never fully got that.
gov subsidies and owners just paying more for championship bragging rights according to google.

I feel bad for her but I hate that she was so careless with her bag. Gotta be smarter than that especially since she’s not new to traveling those places.

Oh, and $120k is not chump change.

It’s sucks but I don’t think it was an accident, I think she knew it was in there. That’s why I kinda don’t like leaving the US. Some countries be on some bs.

This is who y’all sound like.

solewoman solewoman returning to the thread
tenor.gif

I will say I can agree with her. Some people on NT may not have reach a sole 100k salary yet to know the difference.

Wtf kind of living expenses do y'all have to the point where $120k isn't borderline wealth?

If you live in a major US city (New York, LA, DC, Chicago, San Francisco), you are the sole breadwinner and you have a family then $120k goes pretty quick. For example, in Manhattan the average rent is five stacks

That being said, that isn't the situation that Britney is in. She makes $227k in the WNBA to play a 4 month season.

Wtf kind of living expenses do y'all have to the point where $120k isn't borderline wealth?

You Only Feel This Way Because Your Life As Of Now Likely Doesnt Have Any Factors That Would Make 120k Seem Like Little Money.

But In A Scenario Say Where You Are Married, Have At Least One If Not More Children And Live In The Washington DC Metropolitan Area That 120k Isnt As Lucrative.

I just don't think that debate makes sense in the context of this situation

Pay them 3x more (which the league can easily do) and some players would choose to earn more in the long off season

A scenario where the WNBA pays players so much that it's not worth the player's time/risk to play overseas isn't realistic

At least when it comes to the Russia. Idk if other women's leagues overseas pay as well

I dont agree with it. I’m just going off what I’m seeing regarding the pay disparity conversation between NBA and WNBA players.

In comparison to your average everyday citizen WNBA players are paid extremely well. Compared to their NBA counterparts not so much.

However you also have to look at the financials for each league. At the end of the day the WNBA doesn’t make money and it’s definitely not due to lack of promotion from the NBA. In its current state the only way you’re tripling the average salary for WNBA players is if you take money from the NBA to do so.

If you live in a major US city (New York, LA, DC, Chicago, San Francisco), you are the sole breadwinner and you have a family then $120k goes pretty quick. For example, in Manhattan the average rent is five stacks

That being said, that isn't the situation that Britney is in. She makes $227k in the WNBA to play a 4 month season.

I knew the US has a crazy disparity in living expenses compared to over here but sheesh. I eat good off €2800/month.

I'm glad my favorite NTer and fellow Georgia Bull 🐕 Fan atlsfinest atlsfinest made this post. He is getting more conservative by the day and I like it. I don't feel sorry for libs and I don't feel sorry for Griner. Papa Vlad is our Premier and we better stand at attention when he detains us. I recently started watching "For all Mankind" and what Papa Vlad is doing is helping our motherland become strong. We are all Russian. ALL GRINER had to do was denounce 😴 🥱 Joseph and she would've been Gucci. CAN'T wait for Griner to suit up for Team USSR.

Back
Top Bottom