Does Anyone On NT Work In The Music Business?

Awesome thread!

Just started looking to get into the music industry last week. And I realize that it is def a crazy business.

I'm not an artist, but I would wanna get into marketing or A&R. I always had an ear and passion for music and thought I would give it a shot since I'm still in school and got nothing to lose.

I see that knowing people is the key to this. Thankfully I know a couple people at Atlantic records and I'm actually waiting on a call back for an internship from a hiring manager. I feel like if I didn't know someone in the company I would of never gotten a response.

My friend at Atlantic told me that she was basically a slave in the company for about a year till they put her on salary and eased her workload. So I praise all the people that went through that on the boards and got into the industry.

Really interesting to read your submissions, thanks!

also when a labels looking at an artist is the appearance of their website crucial?

Presentation definitely matters. That being said you don't need the most visually intense page, but at least look like you put some effort into it. Find some sites that you like, and see if they have a link at the bottom of where it came from

I like www.caseyveggies.com

Pretty minimal but you get the content.

Awesome thread!

Just started looking to get into the music industry last week. And I realize that it is def a crazy business.

I'm not an artist, but I would wanna get into marketing or A&R. I always had an ear and passion for music and thought I would give it a shot since I'm still in school and got nothing to lose.

I see that knowing people is the key to this. Thankfully I know a couple people at Atlantic records and I'm actually waiting on a call back for an internship from a hiring manager. I feel like if I didn't know someone in the company I would of never gotten a response.

My friend at Atlantic told me that she was basically a slave in the company for about a year till they put her on salary and eased her workload. So I praise all the people that went through that on the boards and got into the industry.

Really interesting to read your submissions, thanks!

I know a bunch of people at Atlantic from over the years (in marketing/PR). If you get in with them, you'll be with a great bunch.

Not sure about the "slave" comment regarding your friend though. With anything nowadays - especially in music and entertainment (I've worked in both TV and Music) - everyone is fighting for the opportunity to get a position. Gotta take any edge you can grasp and produce results.

The "eased her workload" comment puzzled me.

My workload is never "eased" in any capacity.

I know a bunch of people at Atlantic from over the years (in marketing/PR). If you get in with them, you'll be with a great bunch.

Not sure about the "slave" comment regarding your friend though. With anything nowadays - especially in music and entertainment (I've worked in both TV and Music) - everyone is fighting for the opportunity to get a position. Gotta take any edge you can grasp and produce results.

Well the slave comment comes from her directly. She was working under someone who abused her everyday. She was doing all of that persons work and actually being verbally abused. She would tell HR and nothing was ever done, she actually considered quitting a bunch of times. She made it sound terrible.

The "eased her workload" comment puzzled me.

My workload is never "eased" in any capacity.

Lol...I know what you mean...but she was doing work for two people...her and her boss. Boss moved to different company so her workload was eased because her new boss actually did their own work!

Anybody have any recommendation for PR companies/firms? We've gotten a nice response off our previous work but it's some time consuming and tedious to send out emails to different blogs and websites in the formats they request, just to only hear back from a handful of the ones we reach out to. I'm currently talking to a few but was wondering if any one has experiences w/ any particular companies, last thing I wanna do is throw around hard earned $$$ with no results.

Anybody have any recommendation for PR companies/firms? We've gotten a nice response off our previous work but it's some time consuming and tedious to send out emails to different blogs and websites in the formats they request, just to only hear back from a handful of the ones we reach out to. I'm currently talking to a few but was wondering if any one has experiences w/ any particular companies, last thing I wanna do is throw around hard earned $$$ with no results.

The most familiar PR agencies that I will go out of my way to see what/who their pushing are: Cashmere Agency, Cornerstone, ThinkTank Marketing, Audible Treats, Roundabout Marketing, MSO PR, Girlie Action Media, Big Picture Media, Chaos Firm, MAC Media, Atomic PR - among others.

thanks, but im not worried bout nino. he has something in the works for him right now

i'm worried about my local act, Lysick. There should be no problem with him as long as I find him a good publicist, then the music will speak for itself. Once the publicist gets his **** out everywhere, I can get him a good booking agent and have him save money for big name features which should help his name out.

yeah im looking for a good publicist too...

By the way:

Quinton Hatfield

he's a publicist, avoid him. he SUCKS. and he's a scammer. do not give him money at all..

we should make a list of ppl we've worked with in the past so that nobody waists ur time. i don't wanna go in-depth with this dude but trust me, you're gonna wanna kick yourself after paying him cuz he'll get you no results.
Ha, bet that up. He follows me on Twitter and FB. I seen Nino Bless was promoted by Mac Media before, how that work out?

The most familiar PR agencies that I will go out of my way to see what/who their pushing are: Cashmere Agency, Cornerstone, ThinkTank Marketing, Audible Treats, Roundabout Marketing, MSO PR, Girlie Action Media, Big Picture Media, Chaos Firm, MAC Media, Atomic PR - among others.
hey this is very informative, which one of these firms would you say is best for rap artist? i been working with a dude named josh lawson and he has given me great results as on the blogs but im aiming to get on more high profile sites such as pitchfork or more 2dbz post (i only have 1 on there)

Damn this thread kinda died out...me and my partner are gonna be up in NYC from 4/12 to 4/16 for a couple of shows I'm banging out the final details on. Any tips about places/people I should check out/link with on the music side of things for networking and politicking?

I have a whole bunch of friends trying to make it in the game.. But even though theyre dope, I know most of them dont have what it takes to make... Hopefully they prove me wrong though... I see them making a decent salary of the game though, like a blue collar working class rapper...

I don't work in the industry, but the people I know who do are all shady, fake it until you make it type dudes. I know way to many wack rappers, lying about having stacks and whips, promoters who constantly lie, and managers who scout women talent just to get in the yambs..... The industry is real fake and like the lottery with how talent doesn't matter anymore. It's way over saturated I would stay away from it as a career choice....

You don't want to be 50yrs and still the only employee and CEO of flatland records (a place in Brooklyn)

I seen Audio Push through the homies put in the work and build der buzz from the ground up out in the IE. got hella buzz from the jerk **** and through the hype they build for themselves that's how they were able to get to a&r's attention and get the interscope deal.  u gotta do it urself nowadays not just get discovered cold.

hey this is very informative, which one of these firms would you say is best for rap artist? i been working with a dude named josh lawson and he has given me great results as on the blogs but im aiming to get on more high profile sites such as pitchfork or more 2dbz post (i only have 1 on there)

Cashmere, Cornerstone, Audible Treats. Best of Both Offices is a good one as well.

I seen Audio Push through the homies put in the work and build der buzz from the ground up out in the IE. got hella buzz from the jerk **** and through the hype they build for themselves that's how they were able to get to a&r's attention and get the interscope deal.  u gotta do it urself nowadays not just get discovered cold.

Props to them for getting shine, but be honest with yourself. They've been signed since 2009 and people are just starting to notice them due to being affiliated with one of the hottest producers in the entire industry - Hit-Boy.

Back
Top Bottom