Does Hip Hop Have The Least Savviest Fans ?

Sadly I would have to agree  being that from my personallyexperience dudes like a Kool G Rap, or even a Ja rule get quicklyforgotten as if they never existed unlike in other genres the history of the genre and its artists arecherished; why is that ? discuss.

Sadly I would have to agree  being that from my personallyexperience dudes like a Kool G Rap, or even a Ja rule get quicklyforgotten as if they never existed unlike in other genres the history of the genre and its artists arecherished; why is that ? discuss.

rap fans are stupid.

he brings up Ja, I never liked Ja, but the masses did.
never liked Ja because his music seemed forced and formulaic?

I think people caught on after 50 "exposed" that, but that shouldn't make you think less of him, should make you think less of yourself as a fan that you didn't pick up on it.

I think hip hop has been extremely "formulaic" since BadBoy in the mid 90s. The masses are just hopping from formula to formula while continually looking down on the previous ones.
Rock fans don't like sampling or artificial bass because it's not organic.
Rap fans are the exact opposite because they're easy to hold on to and become familiar with.

I think that's why hiphop fans will always be a step behind as far as innovation and support.

rap fans are stupid.

he brings up Ja, I never liked Ja, but the masses did.
never liked Ja because his music seemed forced and formulaic?

I think people caught on after 50 "exposed" that, but that shouldn't make you think less of him, should make you think less of yourself as a fan that you didn't pick up on it.

I think hip hop has been extremely "formulaic" since BadBoy in the mid 90s. The masses are just hopping from formula to formula while continually looking down on the previous ones.
Rock fans don't like sampling or artificial bass because it's not organic.
Rap fans are the exact opposite because they're easy to hold on to and become familiar with.

I think that's why hiphop fans will always be a step behind as far as innovation and support.

I think it's because this a youth based culture where everyone, even people claim to "grown men", are chasing this narrow 13-23 year-old market and trying appeal them with stuff that only matters or impresses kids and in doing that you're going to age out of the market very quickly because if you're 45 and still talking about the club its stupid but we've allowed for very little space for older people.

I think it's because this a youth based culture where everyone, even people claim to "grown men", are chasing this narrow 13-23 year-old market and trying appeal them with stuff that only matters or impresses kids and in doing that you're going to age out of the market very quickly because if you're 45 and still talking about the club its stupid but we've allowed for very little space for older people.

Where do I begin? First of all Joe Buddens comes off as a smart guy who thinks he's smarter than he is. He sounds bitter about his career. And he wants to talk about garbage, dude released "Pump It Up" as his first single. That was around the time I was weening myself off of BET because I saw the direction it was headed in.

What killed hip hop was when the culture became a product. These buffoons wanna talk about how admirable rock music is and blah, blah, blah, without realizing that the art was stolen and the culture of it was left behind. Rock was black music before it got jacked by executives and repackage for a white audience. Same with Jazz (although jazz fought back at the price of its popular life) and other forms of black art and expression. I don't wanna make an infamous NT race thread, but lets address the real issue: the commercialization of a culture. Not "stupid" fans.

The fans will support what is available. Think about this for a second, back when Wu-Tang was available, it went platinum MANY times over. Back when Public Enemy was available, you couldn't turn on MTV, BET, etc. without seeing their videos in rotation. Hell, they were on SNL and all that. I remember watching them perform "Can't Trust It" in awe, with my mouth open like damn these dudes are dissing the man on his own show.

Now fast forward to today. $%!% that, go back to the early 2000s right after the death of Yo MTV Raps, when you had a knowledgeable man, imbedded in the culuture, in the form of Fab Five Freddy having a major role in what hip hop was played on MTV.

Once the reigns were handed to the executives, the machine did its work and we are were we are now.

Fans aren't dumb, they just aren't going to do the extra work to find what's authentic, generally speaking. They never did really. How many of us older dudes can really say that in the early 90s we were out looking for more obscure hip hop. The rare !#%$ ? Not one of us probably, because we didn't %@*%*+$ have to. What was available was dope.

Now we expect kids and young adults who are busy living happy youthful lives to become students of a commercialized culture? Get the f... Like they're gonna say, "I grew up on the radio and BET, but lemme start liking something unfamiliar." Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

Where do I begin? First of all Joe Buddens comes off as a smart guy who thinks he's smarter than he is. He sounds bitter about his career. And he wants to talk about garbage, dude released "Pump It Up" as his first single. That was around the time I was weening myself off of BET because I saw the direction it was headed in.

What killed hip hop was when the culture became a product. These buffoons wanna talk about how admirable rock music is and blah, blah, blah, without realizing that the art was stolen and the culture of it was left behind. Rock was black music before it got jacked by executives and repackage for a white audience. Same with Jazz (although jazz fought back at the price of its popular life) and other forms of black art and expression. I don't wanna make an infamous NT race thread, but lets address the real issue: the commercialization of a culture. Not "stupid" fans.

The fans will support what is available. Think about this for a second, back when Wu-Tang was available, it went platinum MANY times over. Back when Public Enemy was available, you couldn't turn on MTV, BET, etc. without seeing their videos in rotation. Hell, they were on SNL and all that. I remember watching them perform "Can't Trust It" in awe, with my mouth open like damn these dudes are dissing the man on his own show.

Now fast forward to today. $%!% that, go back to the early 2000s right after the death of Yo MTV Raps, when you had a knowledgeable man, imbedded in the culuture, in the form of Fab Five Freddy having a major role in what hip hop was played on MTV.

Once the reigns were handed to the executives, the machine did its work and we are were we are now.

Fans aren't dumb, they just aren't going to do the extra work to find what's authentic, generally speaking. They never did really. How many of us older dudes can really say that in the early 90s we were out looking for more obscure hip hop. The rare !#%$ ? Not one of us probably, because we didn't %@*%*+$ have to. What was available was dope.

Now we expect kids and young adults who are busy living happy youthful lives to become students of a commercialized culture? Get the f... Like they're gonna say, "I grew up on the radio and BET, but lemme start liking something unfamiliar." Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

People assume every rap listener is supposed to be some music head. Its the same for any genre rock, pop, country they all suffer from the samething as rap. There will always be dudes who KNOW music and there will always be those who listen listen to it.

People assume every rap listener is supposed to be some music head. Its the same for any genre rock, pop, country they all suffer from the samething as rap. There will always be dudes who KNOW music and there will always be those who listen listen to it.

I can see where everyone is coming from but if you pay attention towards the end Joe Budden doesn't blame this lack of knowledge on the fans but the industry as a whole; It's difficult for rappers to age gracefully in the industry now a days because people such as DJs for example see no purpose to keeping their music alive; I personally think it is up to the BETs DJs Hip-Hop radio stations to enlighten the youth on the founders of the game and they part in helping molding it. can you guys imagine a time where rappers such as jay-z and nas are just figments of the pass.

I can see where everyone is coming from but if you pay attention towards the end Joe Budden doesn't blame this lack of knowledge on the fans but the industry as a whole; It's difficult for rappers to age gracefully in the industry now a days because people such as DJs for example see no purpose to keeping their music alive; I personally think it is up to the BETs DJs Hip-Hop radio stations to enlighten the youth on the founders of the game and they part in helping molding it. can you guys imagine a time where rappers such as jay-z and nas are just figments of the pass.

it was so dramatic at the end
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

First of all Joe Buddens comes off as a smart guy who thinks he's smarter than he is. He sounds bitter about his career. And he wants to talk about garbage, dude released "Pump It Up" as his first single.

Def Jam forced that single and "Fire" right after. He fought for "Walk With Me" to be his single.
I've been saying for years the problem with rap is fans aren't loyal. They just jump on whatever is new and are easily influenced. I was just talking with my boy about Ja fading away. His first album was dope but Rule 3:36...I was done after that, wasn't a big fan and could see the route he was going.

First of all Joe Buddens comes off as a smart guy who thinks he's smarter than he is. He sounds bitter about his career. And he wants to talk about garbage, dude released "Pump It Up" as his first single.

Def Jam forced that single and "Fire" right after. He fought for "Walk With Me" to be his single.
I've been saying for years the problem with rap is fans aren't loyal. They just jump on whatever is new and are easily influenced. I was just talking with my boy about Ja fading away. His first album was dope but Rule 3:36...I was done after that, wasn't a big fan and could see the route he was going.

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

You just gave the reason why hip hop fans aren't loyal...

Ja Rule "faded away" because people who liked him (you included) finally saw through the gimmick. In the cases where the artists isn't a gimmick and loses fans its not just because there's newer, better music out, it's because sometimes an artist loses their focus and/or strays too far from what got them where they are. Also, if an artist can't continue to make great music why am I going to be supportive? I don't owe any rapper my loyalty or money because they used to be good.

Hip hop is naturally competitive, it's like boxing. Once you fall off, it's usually a wrap. Are you going to pay to see a Mike Tyson fight because he used to be the best fighter?

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

You just gave the reason why hip hop fans aren't loyal...

Ja Rule "faded away" because people who liked him (you included) finally saw through the gimmick. In the cases where the artists isn't a gimmick and loses fans its not just because there's newer, better music out, it's because sometimes an artist loses their focus and/or strays too far from what got them where they are. Also, if an artist can't continue to make great music why am I going to be supportive? I don't owe any rapper my loyalty or money because they used to be good.

Hip hop is naturally competitive, it's like boxing. Once you fall off, it's usually a wrap. Are you going to pay to see a Mike Tyson fight because he used to be the best fighter?

2nd to least savviest but some may argue pop fans just don't give a #$%+.

2nd to least savviest but some may argue pop fans just don't give a #$%+.

Hip Hop in general is for the most part what's hot right now. So many fans jump onto the next hottest act. Its tough for artists to stay relevant for a certain amount of time... That's why you have a lot of artists drop a very good album, but as mentioned, a couple years later you don't hear from them. There are few artists in hip hop who make timeless music & will be relevant for years & years.

Back
Top Bottom