Does it seem like the media is starting to become a lot more cynical and...

harsh in their criticism of players in the NBA?

I swear if I never saw LeBron or Kobe played basketball I would think that they were garbage based upon what I read, hear on the radio, and see on television.

harsh in their criticism of players in the NBA?

I swear if I never saw LeBron or Kobe played basketball I would think that they were garbage based upon what I read, hear on the radio, and see on television.

Not really, I feel like players of today lack the professionalism that stars used to have and it leaves them a lot more vulnerable to criticism. 

Not really, I feel like players of today lack the professionalism that stars used to have and it leaves them a lot more vulnerable to criticism. 

Depends on what media you refer to. If you are stickin to ESPN talking heads all day at home then yeah your head will explode. If you go to other media places it's not as bad. Everyone has an agenda and that is to get you the viewer. Common sense be damned.

Depends on what media you refer to. If you are stickin to ESPN talking heads all day at home then yeah your head will explode. If you go to other media places it's not as bad. Everyone has an agenda and that is to get you the viewer. Common sense be damned.

I live in NY so no
laugh.gif
but with more tools/mediums out there allowing for ppl to interact with the players they've become easier targets and easier to dislike. Maybe some ppl in media have gotten to use to displays of greatness making them bitter and cynical.

Not just the NBA tho.

I live in NY so no
laugh.gif
but with more tools/mediums out there allowing for ppl to interact with the players they've become easier targets and easier to dislike. Maybe some ppl in media have gotten to use to displays of greatness making them bitter and cynical.

Not just the NBA tho.

ESPN and Social networking have pretty much ruined the perception of sports players these days.

If MJ was around today, he would not be the "perfect" player and human being that most people tend to think he is.

I cringe whenever I see breaking news off someone's twitter on the ESPN ticker... Nothing is breaking about a ******ed NFL player stating his personal opinion.

ESPN and Social networking have pretty much ruined the perception of sports players these days.

If MJ was around today, he would not be the "perfect" player and human being that most people tend to think he is.

I cringe whenever I see breaking news off someone's twitter on the ESPN ticker... Nothing is breaking about a ******ed NFL player stating his personal opinion.

I think the players lack professionalism but I also believe the media members have more of an agenda than they used to. These people see the money involved and they sacrifice all journalistic integrity to be the next Skip Bayless. IMO ESPN and other media outlets have essentially incentivized what I call "me" journalism. "Me" journalism makes the media member the star rather than the athlete (shows like PTI, around the horn, first take, mike and mike, etc)

I think the players lack professionalism but I also believe the media members have more of an agenda than they used to. These people see the money involved and they sacrifice all journalistic integrity to be the next Skip Bayless. IMO ESPN and other media outlets have essentially incentivized what I call "me" journalism. "Me" journalism makes the media member the star rather than the athlete (shows like PTI, around the horn, first take, mike and mike, etc)

Originally Posted by TonyReali

ESPN and Social networking have pretty much ruined the perception of life as we know it. there is no going back. just gotta get used to it. "progress"

ESPN and Social networking have pretty much ruined the perception of life as we know it. there is no going back. just gotta get used to it. "progress"

^ That's true but PTI etc. has been around for almost (if not) more than a decade.

I think ironically
laugh.gif
TonyReali's opinion about the emergence social media sites is true. It has really impacted sports opinion.

It seems like the most cynic person has the loudest voice and they are the minority.

^ That's true but PTI etc. has been around for almost (if not) more than a decade.

I think ironically
laugh.gif
TonyReali's opinion about the emergence social media sites is true. It has really impacted sports opinion.

It seems like the most cynic person has the loudest voice and they are the minority.

this isn't new. it was the 24 hour news cycle before social networking. it was television before newspapers. it was yellow journalism before i'm not sure what...very accurate letters and books i guess

it's just very complicated and is bigger than sports

this isn't new. it was the 24 hour news cycle before social networking. it was television before newspapers. it was yellow journalism before i'm not sure what...very accurate letters and books i guess

it's just very complicated and is bigger than sports

Originally Posted by DubA169

It's not progress. It's ridiculous.

Today sports media outlets aren't talking about LeBron clinching an important playoff series against a rival who people said he'll never beat but they are talking about the celebration and apology.

That's crazy.

Everything or anything that someone does there's always another cynic side to it. For example LA won the last two championships but then the media will harshly criticize them the whole year as if they are the Warriors!

Hell the Warriors don't get ripped like the  Lakers in the media.

"You can't win for loosing."

Today sports media outlets aren't talking about LeBron clinching an important playoff series against a rival who people said he'll never beat but they are talking about the celebration and apology.

That's crazy.

Everything or anything that someone does there's always another cynic side to it. For example LA won the last two championships but then the media will harshly criticize them the whole year as if they are the Warriors!

Originally Posted by EvansST

That's crazy.

that's why i put progress is quotations

Back
Top Bottom