Dr. Shaquille O'Neal....yup, dude graduated w/ doctoral degree over the weekend.

Guys, guys. JA's just mad about his Mavs getting bounced. Dont worry. He's not mad at Lin, he's mad at everything. Forgive him.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

John Mayer:
lmao salty nerds itt.

when i think of ivy-league and highly educated folks,

I automatically assume socially awkward or poor social skills.

Ya'll want J. Lin to speak with that James Earl Jones/ Morgan Freeman/ Cornell West Swag????

Dat Salt.

I'm in grad school btw, and I most certianly do not speak "therapist mode" in social situations
You're not seeing everything else, though. There are MULTIPLE reasons to believe Shaq's degrees are 'gifts' at best.

For example, you're in grad school. I don't know you, but knowing that you've already got your BA/BS, I bet I could look at other aspects of your life and tell that you're at least somewhat organized, or that you know what hard work/sacrifice is.

This dude has never been accused of working hard... but he has 5 degrees?
laugh.gif
And now a PhD?!
roll.gif
Dude said HIMSELF that it was tough getting back into HS mode... commenting on his PhD!!
laugh.gif

C'mon, son.
LOL I'm board in regards to Shaq.
That observation was more about Lin's awkward sociability.

Gotcha. I'm not w/ the Lin criticism, either.

JA, since when has Harvard been known to just skate athletes on through? Plus, it ain't like Lin went to Harvard as this top prospect, like when Shaq first went to LSU. Much different.

JA, since when has Harvard been known to just skate athletes on through? Plus, it ain't like Lin went to Harvard as this top prospect, like when Shaq first went to LSU. Much different.
I agree that he might be slightly better off in the brain-department, but did he go to Harvard for his brain or his basketball abilities? Harvard wanted him for his basketball, they were afraid UCLA would get him. If Lin would've went to UCLA/Stanford, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Someone please find me an instance where a professional prospect didn't get above a 3.0.

Someone, please?

He fit the academic regulations of Harvard, but let's not act like dude was getting into Harvard because of his math skills. It's not like Jeremy Lin was some diamond in the rough who was attending Harvard and decided to go play basketball one day and shocked the world. He went to Harvard to play basketball because Stanford and UCLA didn't accept him. Great underdog story? Absolutely.

I said it earlier. Jeremy Lin was going to do whatever he could in his power to play basketball professionally for a living.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Someone please find me an instance where a professional prospect didn't get above a 3.0.

Someone, please?
Dwyane Wade was suspended his freshman year at Marquette due to bad grades and was suspended a second time for a game or two his sophmore/junior year I believe. 

I assumed that he was just referring to Harvard students w/ that statement. No way would a person of his intellect really believe that there aren't pro prospects w/ less than 3.0 gpa's.

Originally Posted by dreClark

I assumed that he was just referring to Harvard students w/ that statement. No way would a person of his intellect really believe that there aren't pro prospects w/ less than 3.0 gpa's.

Harvard never has any professional prospects though

Originally Posted by Jay02

Someone, please?
Dwyane Wade was suspended his freshman year at Marquette due to bad grades and was suspended a second time for a game or two his sophmore/junior year I believe.
And Michael Beasley got a 3.1.

Granted Kansas State ain't Harvard.

....and so do thousands of other freshman around the country who load up on general/elective/introductory courses during their freshman year. And they get boosts from summer courses. Pointing to one and done bball players isn't going to prove your point because they really only have to remain eligible for a semester.

Maybe I'm way off-base, but my main points I stick to.

Shaq's degrees are meaningless.
Lin got into Harvard purely for basketball reasons, and if he had went to Stanford or UCLA than we wouldn't be talking about this.
There are always exceptions on both ends, but I just feel like athletes in general don't care about education. They tell kids to care about their education because that's the PC thing to do.

Getting a 3.1 in only one year is not exactly a challenge, even for a guy like Beas. He can take a remedial English class and a basic math class (enough to know weed measurements) and he can pull a B average for a year.

Originally Posted by Jay02

Someone, please?
And Michael Beasley got a 3.1.

Granted Kansas State ain't Harvard.

Ok, but you asked to name someone please and I did. Im confused. 

....and so do thousands of other freshman around the country who load up on general/elective/introductory courses during their freshman year. And they get boosts from summer courses. Pointing to one and done bball players isn't going to prove your point because they really only have to remain eligible for a semester.
75% of freshmen are idiots too, I'm not trying to act like the rest of the entire countries population are intellectual prodigies. We aren't talking about that though.

You're pointing to Beas getting a 3.0 like its something he did only because he's an athlete. Then you turn around and say 75% of freshman are idiots (like you're insinuating Beas to be) and they acheieve the same results. Does this not in itself disprove you Athlete/3.0 theory? If the vast majority of students are accomplishing the same thing it doesn't make the athletes situation special.

JA hypertonic
laugh.gif
....your electrochemical gradient must be %!%@@# up right now with the amount of salt in this thread....

My entire point from the beginning is the notion that these kids that are scholastic athletes is naive. I know there are exceptions, they've been pointed out in this thread. Everytime the draft rolls around we get to hear how these up-and-coming athletes are great students, got above a 3.0 and whatnot, but it's all nonsense to me. I'm not trying nitpick and say that all athletes are stupid. I'm saying that the vast majority of entry-level college students are naive and stupid, and don't go through the same educational work that your average BS/BA student does, yet they get praised like they do.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Are you guys serious right now?

Nah, I'm pretty serious about what I said.

Water is wet.

Yea, I guess the nature of Shaq's degree is pretty obvious.

To stay eligible in D1, I believe only a 2.0 is needed. I'd say way above 3.0's are the exceptions. Also, one has to measure this against school averages (grade inflation). I bet Bruce Irvin, someone I heard a lot about during the NFL Draft, didn't have a 3.0. I bet a bunch of players on WVU don't have 3.0's. Sorry to single the school out but I know it doesn't have a stellar reputation.

Most athletes care as much as other students. Legitimate pro prospects not caring about education is not that big of a deal to me. Most students with postgrad connections or futures locked down don't care all that much either.

edit 2: Hold on. Ed.D and not Ph.D? An article I read said Ph.D in education.

I'm glad you added "way above"

Don't see any issue with any of your statements.

Not privy to any info concerning Shaq & his doctorate other than what is reported. Don't see a reason to automatically question the legitimacy of it, but maybe that's just me. Hopefully it can spark a couple of others to return to school and continue or finish up their education.

Originally Posted by RawSheed

apparently we won't ever even get to read his dissertation cause it won't ever be peer-reviewed and published

so in the world of academia his PhD (really Ed.D) is not brag-worthy in terms of him going on Inside the NBA and demanding the crew to refer to him as Dr. O'neal

http://blogs.miaminewtime...oneal_barry_universi.php

http://abcnews.go.com/blo...earns-ph-d-in-education/
Im sorry, but how did we miss this in the thread discussion!?

If this doesnt flash lights, I dont know what does. Will not be peer reviewed? I dont get it...

[Deion] That aint right [/Deion]

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I believe in the validity of Shaq's doctoral degree over whatever James Franco accomplished at Yale/NYU.

I used to see Franco in Columbia's library during his time here all the time.. Not sure what the back story is on his time at Yale/NYU though.

Maybe I'm way off-base, but my main points I stick to.

Shaq's degrees are meaningless.

Lin got into Harvard purely for basketball reasons, and if he had went to Stanford or UCLA than we wouldn't be talking about this.

There are always exceptions on both ends, but I just feel like athletes in general don't care about education. They tell kids to care about their education because that's the PC thing to do.

You sound silly. You can't get into schools like Harvard just for basketball reasons. This whole all athletes are dumb and can't do well in school schtick has to stop one day you just sound bitter. A 3.0 or a 3.1 at a school like KState, OSU, or any of these others schools is not hard. Especially considering all of the resources with tutors and such that athletes have access to.

Does the sport matter, or are there different kinds of scholarships. Or is it both. I have a friend who is on a scholarship that plays volleyball for a Big 10 school and im pretty sure she said she has to maintain a 3.5 to keep the scholarship. I was like damn but then I was thinking just because it was girls volleyball, not as serious as football, so I assumed they give it out scholarships with different guidelines given the situation.

Back
Top Bottom