[| -- Drake - "OVER" (VIDEO) Co-Starring Rita Ora (Directed By Anthony Mandler) -- |]

Ehh video wasn't that bad. I mean I do agree that it makes absolutely no sense and it could've been a lot better, but it had it's cool moments. I always see you dudes talking about that dude Notorious Wes and I thought it was just NT being NT and it's lame rider comments, but holy @$#! bro is this dude Drake paying you or something? I've never seen a dude go harder for another man they don't know. 

Via text msg:

I understand where he comin from as far as bein in the hotel room the whole video and visually its dope. Overall though if I hadd to host a mtv video count down That video would not be played

What's the significance of the hotel room?

Thas probally the only place he has peace,most of the song is about him complainin.Hes a normal dude livin in a superstars world.People gotta be carefull bout What they ask for

Via All Things Fresh:

The Meaning Behind Drake’s Over Video

Some of you might of understood the message behind Drake’s new video while others didn’t; but that’s okay. In the interview with MTV below, Drake explains that the “Over

^^i get what all he was trying to do, but i really don't think this was the song for it

excuses...when it comes to every other genre of music..their vidoes are always better than rap videos....step ya creativity game up

excuses...when it comes to every other genre of music..their vidoes are always better than rap videos....step ya creativity game up

Originally Posted by BrOwNiN187

and that whole "too soon to be artsy" theory is ******ed....*see college dropout and its videos.

Uh....*$% are you talking about? The videos for CD were very in line with the songs, not "artsy" like this video ...

Originally Posted by jefffort5

excuses...when it comes to every other genre of music..their vidoes are always better than rap videos....Step ya Creativity Game Up

I've been saying this for years.  Hip-Hop/Rap videos are terrible when it compares to videos from other genres.  But part of the blame goes to the fans who want to only see #%#-shaking, and dudes stunting fronting

As for the Drake Vid, I like it.  Not the best execution, mostly because of Drake looking uncomfortable throughout the vid.  But the imagery was dead on.  

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by airjordan05

Via All Things Fresh:

The Meaning Behind Drake’s Over Video

Some of you might of understood the message behind Drake’s new video while others didn’t; but that’s okay. In the interview with MTV below, Drake explains that the “Over

Originally Posted by MJsaver

Originally Posted by Key 2 Life

I liked it......I don't think anything this dude does will satisfy the masses, because he's been put on a pedastal, and as a result of that everyone expects perfection (which is impossible).
+1

True ... but than again what is the meaning of perfection when pertaining to a "creative artistic" approach to a music video. 

You can't have "perfection", it's a visionary process, and I actually think that Drake might be slightly selfish for just going for that "this video makes me happy" theme.  Remember who buys your albums.  Remember who pays for those concert tickets that let you go shopping before the sto' close and spend the fee from your last 4 shows.  I wish artist that depict themselves as "artistic/artsy" type would just let it go and have fun because obviously you can not satisfy everyone, but the video could have been better.  I understand the approach but for $500 he could have got SMACK to shoot an in-studio performance that would have been just as good.

my .02 cents

if the music video was undeniably dope, all the people on NT with their ridiculous and pretentious standards still would hate. y'all are reading way too deep into this +%*!. its a music video for christ sakes. regardless of what drakes creative vision for the song was, you either like it or you dont. n one cares to hear your insight as to why its over the top or too "artsy".

this is a dope video that makes up for an ok song.

Originally Posted by zokid

if the music video was undeniably dope, all the people on NT with their ridiculous and pretentious standards still would hate. y'all are reading way too deep into this +%*!. its a music video for christ sakes. regardless of what drakes creative vision for the song was, you either like it or you dont. n one cares to hear your insight as to why its over the top or too "artsy".

this is a dope ok video that makes up for an ok song.
Fixed .. I got you pal
wink.gif

Originally Posted by zokid

this is a dope video that makes up for an ok song.

But you know this is a forum, right? We're fans, right? He gets money based on our opinions and actions, right? So, what's wrong with expressing our views on the video? I'm not saying make 87 posts about it, but, you know ...

Other genres aren't half as critical of their music as rap fans are there. Seriously. You dudes critique this @@% like you paid 10 dollars for admission. Its a music video. Its done to showcase the music. Its not done for a Academy Award. Dudes over here complaining the video is too "artsy". The hell?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Other genres aren't half as critical of their music as rap fans are there. Seriously. You dudes critique this @@% like you paid 10 dollars for admission. Its a music video. Its done to showcase the music. Its not done for a Academy Award. Dudes over here complaining the video is too "artsy". The hell?
laugh.gif
i think they are...i do this %$*#...so if im going to put effort into something..im going to make it worth while...this video was neither entertaining nor creative to me...and this is a online forum where we discuss and critique...im sure U2 fans critique the hell out of their %$*# as well....if im a fan of your music and u do a video...i want to see a visual that goes hand and hand with the song

Originally Posted by rocyaice

laugh.gif
i think they are...i do this %$*#...so if im going to put effort into something..im going to make it worth while...this video was neither entertaining nor creative to me...and this is a online forum where we discuss and critique...im sure U2 fans critique the hell out of their %$*# as well....if im a fan of your music and u do a video...i want to see a visual that goes hand and hand with the song
Fair enough. I just don't understand some of the criticism though. Too artsy? I guess we have different requirements when we see videos. I'd prefer to be entertained. There's not really a rule that says your video must go with what you're rapping about in your song. That being said, I thought the video was decent. I wouldn't call it "too artsy". Anthony Madler's videos are visually nice to watch but never have been nothing epic to me. I'd probably say his best video to date is Up and Down by Snoop which was just visually beautiful IMO.

I gotta say though I have noticed the criticism for Drake's videos are different than that of other artists. I don't know what it is about when Drake drops a video but when he does its multiple pages of dudes saying what they hated about the video.
laugh.gif
: I saw this with Forever and Best I Ever Had. Maybe its all warranted I guess. Just with music videos from mainstream artists I see videos as sort of a commercial to promote the song. I'd probably have higher expectations for a indie artist or a artist not as mainstream as Drake.

the video isnt too artsy... it tried to be artsy and failed... theres good parts of it but when he sittin there and the @%*% appears on the walls it looks terrible imo... the "performance" part was cool but the rest ehhh...

I liked the vid, But Drake will never live up to the unreachable expectations people have set for him.

The reactions in this thread (and the internet in general) are just a small preview of what it's going to be like when his album drops.

Back
Top Bottom