Dreads and Jobs

I was wondering if there would be any kind of a problem with me getting a job and having dreads. What sort of jobs do you know that i will and will not be ableto get?

They made me cut my Medium size bush, at my job. I work at a resturant, im a busboy.

umm...I dont think it would be a problem unless the person hiring you has a "personal" problem with it...

you could always start your own business...then you won't have to worry about that...

You may think you are getting a fair shake of things, but many employers will formulate an opinion on you (based off of your appearance) before you even openyour mouth to say hello.....it would suck to cut them because of what they mean to a certain person, but if it were me and I was trying to get the job, I wouldgo in with a haircut...but, it depends on the type of job you are applying for also....some places are more lenient than others....

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

umm...I dont think it would be a problem unless the person hiring you has a "personal" problem with it...

and who does the HIRING/FIRING?

real talk, my boy got dreads an i swear he cant get a job for the life of him. he deliver pizza right now, son be havin interviews an they always like wil giveyou a call back. I been told him cut them joints.

yea i was growing my hair out to get them and was 8 months into it....but i went ahead and cut them.....its hard enough trying to get a job being black so idont need another strike against me

Originally Posted by Liquid Sword Chamber

dreads are gross, I would never hire anyone who rocked them.

How are they gross? let me guess, your gonna say people with locks don't wash their hair, right?

dreads are gross, I would never hire anyone who rocked them.
Unfortunately that's what most employers are thinking.

It's quite sad
tired.gif

It really depends on what part of the country or more specifically what city you live in.

I know professionals with dreads.

Get the job and grow the dreads back.

Its only 2008 if you aint Ricky Williams or Mikey Moore get a Barack Obama cut.

golden krust would hire you

"bombaclaat beef patty"

jk

but my cuzin has dreads and they turned him down a job as a receptionist at a hospital ..they most likely turned him down bcus of his dreads bcus he dressedproper, shaved clean and speaks well gut i guess they didnt liek the dreads

i dont have dreads but i do have long hair..

i went through 3 interviewsand a drug test at best buy and didnt get hired...

everyone i know is telling me i didnt get it because of my hair...

or whether they think their clientele would have a problem with it. I like dreads, and think they actually look very nice on certain people, butI'd never hire someone with them if I was the employer of a nice restaurant, hotel, place of business, because I know how the upper crust thinks andI'm not trying to alienate any money before it walks in the door.

Originally Posted by CrimsonCloudAttire

or whether they think their clientele would have a problem with it. I like dreads, and think they actually look very nice on certain people, but I'd never hire someone with them if I was the employer of a nice restaurant, hotel, place of business, because I know how the upper crust thinks and I'm not trying to alienate any money before it walks in the door.

Yup hes right....

I have braids..and I'm enjoying them now cuz once I finish school ima have to cut my hair for my office job <sigh>

I'm asian with long hair.. not messy.. not emo, not punk rocker, just slicked back or towards the side slightly. do you guys think any job would take meserious?

Originally Posted by BlowDaWhistle

Originally Posted by CrimsonCloudAttire

or whether they think their clientele would have a problem with it. I like dreads, and think they actually look very nice on certain people, but I'd never hire someone with them if I was the employer of a nice restaurant, hotel, place of business, because I know how the upper crust thinks and I'm not trying to alienate any money before it walks in the door.

Yup hes right....

I have braids..and I'm enjoying them now cuz once I finish school ima have to cut my hair for my office job <sigh>
co-sign, minus the braids, i have short dreads at the moment. 2nd year in college, but i know by that 5th year (damn engineering) i'll be getting ahair cut in time for graduation.

Yeah it really is a shame how jbs and stuff view things like braids, tatoo's, and urban sounding names. Oh well, thats america, appearence itseverything...

Back
Top Bottom