Any NTers in Law Enforcement?

Thinking of becoming a cop for a few years. DC to be specific as I’ve just moved to the area. From what I’ve read it’ll play to my strengths. I’ll get to learn some cool training and learn the city in a new way since I moved to the area. I have a 5 year plan and this job would help get me there in a lot of ways.

I understand it’s a big commitment. I understand the risks. I understand DC is getting worse statistically. But I’m willing to take the chance.

Any of you either are or have been cops? Family members who are or have been cops? What have your experiences been?

For my Black cops in particular (if any of you are even here) how was that decision received by friends, family, and your community?

Seems like teaching - a thankless job for not great pay - dealing with the toughest parts of society.

That said - camaraderie seems tight knit - both in good and bad ways. A sense of community from work is actually really important long term.

Good luck.

DC is hella dangerous.

i follow killmoe on instagram and day after day is nothing but posts of homicide.

stay safe OP if you do go that route

Imma keep it 💯 from what I've observed

They will assign you to unfavorable areas while your white counterparts get the "safe" areas

Also from what I've seen, black folk fear white cops more than black cops.

If you do decide to go through with it
Be safe and hope you get accepted !

I live in New York and a close family friend is in the nypd -
Personally I couldn’t be a cop - it’s a wild job

If you do decide to go through with it
Be safe and hope you get accepted !

I live in New York and a close family friend is in the nypd -
Personally I couldn’t be a cop - it’s a wild job
I know a couple of people in the nypd as well. I remember one nt'er keeps repeating that being a cop isn't a dangerous job. Nope, too many crazies in nyc. I also know someone who is a corrections officer at rikers, I think he's allowed to carry a gun outside of work.

Working alongside MPD in my career, the Officers to Detectives say its grueling. I was told by a SGT once you finish the Academy, you list 3 Districts you want to go...

The 1st is where you WANT to be assigned
The 2nd is where you can TOLERATE being assigned
The 3rd is pretty much "you'' be ight"

Most usually are assigned to 5D, 6D, 7D (which are majority NE & SE) after graduation.

Not knocking your choice fam, however, if you want to do something similar; I do Juvenile Probation in DC, Im classified as a L.E.O., only have to do 20 years, and get the Fed Salary (GS scale) and FERS retirement and its mostly a 9-5. Just dont be older than 37.

Working alongside MPD in my career, the Officers to Detectives say its grueling. I was told by a SGT once you finish the Academy, you list 3 Districts you want to go...

The 1st is where you WANT to be assigned
The 2nd is where you can TOLERATE being assigned
The 3rd is pretty much "you'' be ight"

Most usually are assigned to 5D, 6D, 7D (which are majority NE & SE) after graduation.

Not knocking your choice fam, however, if you want to do something similar; I do Juvenile Probation in DC, Im classified as a L.E.O., only have to do 20 years, and get the Fed Salary (GS scale) and FERS retirement and its mostly a 9-5. Just dont be older than 37.
Are they hiring? I would’ve responded sooner but. I didn’t see this.

66k :sick:
There’s agencies in socal starting at like 110k. Granted cost of living is higher but I don’t think it’s cheap up your way
Bumps to mid 70s after a few years. But I imagine the overtime would more than make up for it. Some dudes were clearing 250k to sit at a desk. Caused an investigation actually.

Props to you but yeah I couldn't be a cop. Outside of the risk I'm just not a big fan of policing in general.

I do realize the importance of having someone to call but honestly in the few instances I've had to call police it's done nothing for me but given me proof of an incident for insurance purposes.

I also am not involved in any real street ****.*

Props to you but yeah I couldn't be a cop. Outside of the risk I'm just not a big fan of policing in general.

I do realize the importance of having someone to call but honestly in the few instances I've had to call police it's done nothing for me but given me proof of an incident for insurance purposes.

I also am not involved in any real street ****.*
The biggest myth is that police are there to “protect and serve” …Their job is to enforce whatever the folks in charge want and show up after the fact for regular folks

In between that they use their time either bs’n or harassing folks outta boredom but they def not out here stopping stuff before it happens or helping anything

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BOTMzYTNiZDUtODcyNy00ZWRmLTk5OTUtMDlmOWUyODFhOTA1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODExNTExMTM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Thinking of becoming a cop for a few years. DC to be specific as I’ve just moved to the area. From what I’ve read it’ll play to my strengths. I’ll get to learn some cool training and learn the city in a new way since I moved to the area. I have a 5 year plan and this job would help get me there in a lot of ways.

I understand it’s a big commitment. I understand the risks. I understand DC is getting worse statistically. But I’m willing to take the chance.

Any of you either are or have been cops? Family members who are or have been cops? What have your experiences been?

For my Black cops in particular (if any of you are even here) how was that decision received by friends, family, and your community?
Read this book before you pursue a career in policing. Modern day policing is basically modern day Jim Crow.
An Inconvenient Cop: My Fight to Change Policing in America
https://a.co/d/f7K0cWd

My homie is NYPD and is clocking around 140 a year but dude gets forced overtime so its hard for him to plan anything in advance. Dude says he will work a shift and right before he is about to get ready to leave they pull him back and make him work a double. I'm assuming most police agencies are like this too due to everyone being short staffed. Money is good but I'm good with my employer owning my soul for 20 years for a pension and benefits.

Thats going to jump a LOT over the years. Its 100k cops in Houston. The old cops were hitting the millions by the time they retired.

My ***** you can’t even buy lunch everyday on that salary and you gonna take that to do the devil’s bidding? Good luck

My homie is NYPD and is clocking around 140 a year but dude gets forced overtime so its hard for him to plan anything in advance. Dude says he will work a shift and right before he is about to get ready to leave they pull him back and make him work a double. I'm assuming most police agencies are like this too due to everyone being short staffed. Money is good but I'm good with my employer owning my soul for 20 years for a pension and benefits.
This shhh sounds like a public safety issue. So if a mf is tired, sleepy and aggravated after his shift they gonna send him back out there on another shift with a gun on his hip.

I'm supposed to believe he won't take that out on a civilian at the slightest annoyance or provocation?

I used to hate all cops off principle but I’m chill with them now.

One saved my daughter’s life and my good friend was a cop for a while, switched to road construction and part time fire fighter. He didn’t like what it was turning him into.

You should look into airport police, the cops I work with make bank and it’s a pretty relaxed job for the most part.

We need good police

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom