Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Anybody in here 6'5''?

I'm lanky at 190 pounds. Working on that.

I've bought a couple shirts from OLD NAVY and the fit is turrble.

Regular sizes are too short and the size I buy ( medium tall ) is too long and sloppy.

I'm sure once I bulk up some more I won't have as much trouble... but any help for now?
I have found Old Navy to not be the best for a lot of items in terms of quality. 

But yeah, like another person said, getting the body taken in, and the sleeves taken in as well, would make the fit better. 

Or you can try other stores until you find the best fit. Gap isn't too bad I've found. 

What does/has J Crew typically done in the past for BF?

In general do you guys find a lot of stores have a lot of good BF deals? Every paycheck I go to the mall and try and buy one item or two, but damn dressing better sure is expensive. I am still rocking my 40$ dress shoes proudly each day at work.

I ALWAYS see things I love at J Crew, specifically a lot of the pants/chinos. But I can't stomach spending 80-90$ on a pair, so I always find myself in the clearance section picking up a shirt or slacks

The most J.Crew has done on Black Friday for the past 5 years is 25% off of everything/ 40% off of clearance. Of course, things possibly could be different this year, however, I wouldn't count on it. The best discounts on J.Crew winter apparel has always been in January.

well the current 25% off ends tomorrow..it would be lame if the black friday/cyber monday sales were no higher

I have found Old Navy to not be the best for a lot of items in terms of quality. 

But yeah, like another person said, getting the body taken in, and the sleeves taken in as well, would make the fit better. 

Or you can try other stores until you find the best fit. Gap isn't too bad I've found. 
Yeah I know... quality isn't there... but it'll have to do for now.

The width is fine, it's the length, it's too long. Something I never would've thought I'd have a problem with. Haha!

I copped some Lands End oxfords in M Tall that are also too long.

Guess I have to look into getting the length shortened... anybody ever deal with that?

How many of you guys have inadvertently caused your friends to dress better also? I think that's one of the best feelings. A lot of my friends made fun of me for my clothing choices initially, laughed because I got my clothing tailored, or thought my suits/trousers were too tight, but when they want to buy something new they always ask my opinion. It just reiterates the thought that people take notice when you take pride in your appearance; not that you're narcissistic or an elitist, but you're proud of the way you look. Moreover, getting compliments from women, especially older ones (I'm 25 and older women always comment on my clothing) is 
nthat.gif
 too! 

hahahahahaha @ Robin Thicke, much appreciated…. everyone stopped participating in posting fits? got me feeling like the odd ball :nerd:

@ Miggity, for the price they are well worth it… I saw the purple Clarks desert boots the other day with the red sole, man those things are sexy

Love the cardigan fam

I know some people in here own publish joggers but anyone buy shirts from them before? I'm really feeling this shirt. Or any recommend a cheaper version somewhere else

simple maroon polka dot shirt

I've always gone with Clark's for the desert boot, but someone (may have been you, can't recall) threw out that RL had a $49 price tag right now. That may be cause to stock up. Also, haven't seen the purple boot yet... I'll have to check out.

hahahahahaha @ Robin Thicke, much appreciated…. everyone stopped participating in posting fits? got me feeling like the odd ball :nerd:

@ Miggity, for the price they are well worth it… I saw the purple Clarks desert boots the other day with the red sole, man those things are sexy

Apologies, I have seen the purple before. Confirming the sexy.

Yea they were posted in here last week I believe, the shop told me $140 and I was like mehhhh

Clarks has better construction, I prefer a stiffer shoe, the RL shoe is really soft, but for the price you won/t get a complaint out of me

Love the cardigan fam

I know some people in here own publish joggers but anyone buy shirts from them before? I'm really feeling this shirt. Or any recommend a cheaper version somewhere else

simple maroon polka dot shirt
You can wait for this J.crew version to go on sale and use one of there 30% off sale item coupon they do every other week and probably get the shirt for around 40 bucks. I highly doubt the shirt will sell out anytime soon.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shirts/slimshirtshop/PRDOVR~06778/06778.jsp

lol exactly

his mindset isnt the same because he is in a diff tax bracket, the point i was trying to make.

hank even though you may be right

its called "staying in your lane"

dressing better should still be within ones budget, if you needa save up or make sacrifices for clothes, nah something is off

I get what you're saying and I do agree with you. I suppose is someone is only going to be wearing a suit on occasion, than the construction quality won't be that much of an issue. I'm used to wearing suits everyday, so the construction quality of suits is one the biggest factors for me when buying a suit.

arent you the young wall street guy?

you prob dont wear j crew anyways, just sayin.

I actually do wear J. Crew on occasion. I don't own their suits, but I have a lot of items from their causal clothing line. When I was in college, I almost exclusively only wore J. Crew and Polo Ralph Lauren. Now, I wear more Paul Stuart, Vineyard Vines, Brooks Brothers and J. Press.

Ludlow suits are half-canvassed. Last time I handled a $800 Hugo Boss suit at Off Saks, they were 100% fused....

Depends what line in was from Hugo Boss. Sounds like something from Hugo Boss Red or Hugo. I'm 99.9% sure Boss suits from Hugo Boss aren't fused. I could be wrong though. I haven't worn Hugo Boss suits in a while.

I was going to mention Zegna, but I know some people would be turned off after seeing the price point.

that requires the time needed to save $300, and that's not including the promo codes that are often out there for jcrew which can cop you a ludlow for around 300-400 bucks. idk about you but saving 300 bucks takes me probably  a month and a half after paying bills,rent,food cause I'm not balling (yet).  If i needed a suit asap and i see how good ludlow looks on everyone in this thread and the jcrew catalogs and it fits so nice off the rack which limits my tailor fees. why wouldn't you go with that. Unless I'm wearing it on the regular the construction of the suit won't be a big deal. I'll probably rock my suit once I get it, at the most once or twice a month and that's going to include me rocking a suit just cause it's new and wearing it out and being overdressed. 

I understand where you're coming from. Didn't know how frequently you'd be wearing the suit.

I still suggest you get the suit tailored even if it fits well. You can ALWAYS do alterations to a suit that was bough off rack.

:lol: Acting like going from $525 (you can get them a lot cheaper with sales anyway) to $800+ isn't a big deal. If someone's budget is $500, then it's $500.

That being said, I own a couple (maybe 3?) Hugo Boss suits and I got them all at Bloomingdale's for maybe $500-600 each, retail was more like $850-900.

I don't have to wear suits on a daily basis so aside from staying away from wool blends, poor fits off the rack and sub-standard construction, I go for what's good quality for the price and colors or patterns I like and generally what looks best and may just take some relatively minor tailoring to be perfect.

But that's the difference. You can get away with that, because you don't wear the suits as often to "beat it up".

Back
Top Bottom