Dressing better

Originally Posted by igotthatfire247

This thread is one of the best contributions to the NT forums ... with that said ...

Can anyone help out a fellow NT'er stuck in the tropical climate of Miami? I'm venturing into unknown territory, beginning to build my "new look" this month.

However, two questions:

1. Is it possible to "bargain hunt" my way (for starters), into a new wardrobe or should I stick to one store? (I see lots of people putting together what they find at sales)

2. The fits in here, especially for the winter season, are BANGING. I could only wish we had "seasons" here. No luck though, just heat, humidity, and lots of people with no fashion sense. There's pretty much no way to wear a leather jacket, peacoat, scarf, etc. here without a chance of heat stroke. Can someone PLEASE recommend current fits for my region that would still be fashionable in the Spring/Summer? I'm aware that much of it may just be color schemes.

Thanks to any and all that can provide some input.

I think you can pull off some of the layered looks, except you will have to use lighter fabrics ... so instead of a sweater/shirt/jacket wool combo, you couldpull off a linen jacket with a light cotton or silk shirt underneath. Also, doesnt it get fairly cooler at night? When i go back home to Ghana, i keep mylayered looks for the evening when it is more bearable.

In terms of building your wardrobe, DO NOT STICK TO ONE STORE. No one store has everything you are looking for. Be committed to it, and hunt deals. This threadhas a lot of good stuff popping up. Also check out StyleForum, which has a very good Buy and Sell forum. Ebay is great too, but requires you being veryspecific as to what you need, and knowing your measurements. Also check the measurement on stuff before you buy off the bay. And finally, check out thriftstores - every once in a while, something unique and top notch popus up there ... but its kinda rare.

I guess all in all - my advice will be to look all around and build your wardrobe bit by bit. Dont go out and buy a bunch of stuff just to start. Buy piecesthat FIT you well, and will last the test of time ... classics such as a navy blazer, grey v-neck or half zip sweater, white shirt, blue shirt, khaki pants,brown oxford shoes, brown or black loafers or desert boots, a pair of dark rinse jeans etc that FIT PERFECTLY will do you more good than a ton of crap that fitso so or that seem to be hot for the moment. After you build that basic essential wardrobe, you can then start adding on the shawl cardigans, different typesof shoes, colorful pants and things like that, since those come and go with fashion trends.

The cold weather is finally hitting Boston again. Can anyone recommend me any solid colored cashmere scarves for under/around $100? J.Crew and BR seem to havereasonably priced ones, anyone have any experience?

Originally Posted by igotthatfire247

This thread is one of the best contributions to the NT forums ... with that said ...

Can anyone help out a fellow NT'er stuck in the tropical climate of Miami? I'm venturing into unknown territory, beginning to build my "new look" this month.

However, two questions:

1. Is it possible to "bargain hunt" my way (for starters), into a new wardrobe or should I stick to one store? (I see lots of people putting together what they find at sales)

2. The fits in here, especially for the winter season, are BANGING. I could only wish we had "seasons" here. No luck though, just heat, humidity, and lots of people with no fashion sense. There's pretty much no way to wear a leather jacket, peacoat, scarf, etc. here without a chance of heat stroke. Can someone PLEASE recommend current fits for my region that would still be fashionable in the Spring/Summer? I'm aware that much of it may just be color schemes.

Thanks to any and all that can provide some input.
1. Bargain hunting is, in my opinion, part of the fun of "dressing better." There's a lot of brands out there that have prettyfrequent sales (Gap, Banana Republic, H&M for example) For the more expensive brands, I almost never buy new. I look for deals on barely used items onforums such as Styleforum and superfuture. There's also eBay and Bing's cashback program that can save you some money.

I guess for me, I tend to spend more on pieces I think will last me a long time or pieces I think will retain their value over time (such as jackets andjeans.)

2. I'd actually like to hear some input on this too. I'm not so sure myself and I'm going back to San Diego in a few months so it'd be nice toknow
laugh.gif
I'm thinking lighter materials like linen and light cottons.

Got this cord blazer in from ON the other day.

6ia51h.jpg

Couple questions though:
1. What would go nicely with it? As in shirt, jeans and shoes.
2. When it came in, it was completely wrinkled. I let it sit but the creases won't fall out. Will I need to take it to the cleaners or can I iron itmyself?

Any help is appreciated.

Originally Posted by seanyboyy

The cold weather is finally hitting Boston again. Can anyone recommend me any solid colored cashmere scarves for under/around $100? J.Crew and BR seem to have reasonably priced ones, anyone have any experience?
If you find yourself in NYC sometime soon, maybe try UNIQLO? I know they have a ton of cashmere scarves for around that price.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

4166619699_cd98a4a019_o.jpg

Gingham shirt + shawl collar cardigan. Both GAP.

30% off + Buy One Get One Free

great combination of colors. would love to see the whole fit with pants and shoes.
Thanks! Just wanted to show off the color/pattern combo. The rest of the outfit is pretty uninspired
laugh.gif
. Just some black desert boots with a pair of slim black jeans. I'm stilllearning day to day how to put together a cohesive outfit from top to bottom.

BN, I wonder how those GAP pieces fit you though. You seem skinnier than me and nothing fits me at GAP (except for some size 28 cords that fit like 514's)so I am just curious oif it is fitted or has a more relaxed fit.

Niidawg has solid advice for bargain hunting. Just read through in this thread and you'll see plenty of heads up on which stores has a sale or discountcode. WJ4 got the BR sale on lock so just watch for his posts, the POLO thread got the sales and discount on anything RL so you can check that place out too.

For the warm climates, cotton suits are your friend. If there are no seasons, it makes it easier to build a wardrobe I think. You only have to worry about asingle cliamte that doesn't drastically change. If I were in Miami, I'd stick with khakis and loafers, maybe add some seersucker (suit, shirt, pants,etc..) and call it a day.

And BN, I don't think San Diego is the same weather as Miami, I believe it is pretty cold in San Diego at this time of the year. I haven't been to SanDiego this season though but it could get pretty cold there too.

LilChico, I wouldn't recommend ironing that cord blazer, especially since it's from ON. I would get it steam pressed if possible. Cords could be prettyversatile though, fitted dark jeans with a white or blue shirt and brown lace-ups will work. You can layer it with a sweater too if it isn't warm enough.You can also match it up with a heavy cloth pants, I've seven seen it worn with a tee and be pulled off well. You just need that extra confidence to carrythe fit. No hoody's under it though, or a striped button ups that looks like a middle school kid would wear to a homecoming dance, I think most of you guysknow which ones I am talking about.

Originally Posted by RFX45

BN, I wonder how those GAP pieces fit you though. You seem skinnier than me and nothing fits me at GAP (except for some size 28 cords that fit like 514's) so I am just curious oif it is fitted or has a more relaxed fit.

Niidawg has solid advice for bargain hunting. Just read through in this thread and you'll see plenty of heads up on which stores has a sale or discount code. WJ4 got the BR sale on lock so just watch for his posts, the POLO thread got the sales and discount on anything RL so you can check that place out too.

For the warm climates, cotton suits are your friend. If there are no seasons, it makes it easier to build a wardrobe I think. You only have to worry about a single cliamte that doesn't drastically change. If I were in Miami, I'd stick with khakis and loafers, maybe add some seersucker (suit, shirt, pants, etc..) and call it a day.

And BN, I don't think San Diego is the same weather as Miami, I believe it is pretty cold in San Diego at this time of the year. I haven't been to San Diego this season though but it could get pretty cold there too.

LilChico, I wouldn't recommend ironing that cord blazer, especially since it's from ON. I would get it steam pressed if possible. Cords could be pretty versatile though, fitted dark jeans with a white or blue shirt and brown lace-ups will work. You can layer it with a sweater too if it isn't warm enough. You can also match it up with a heavy cloth pants, I've seven seen it worn with a tee and be pulled off well. You just need that extra confidence to carry the fit. No hoody's under it though, or a striped button ups that looks like a middle school kid would wear to a homecoming dance, I think most of you guys know which ones I am talking about.
Both the shirt and the cardigan are size S. Judging from the pics you posted and the kind of pants you're able to fit into, I'd sayyou're skinnier
laugh.gif
. GAP shirts in S fit me well most of the time. Their shirts have been surprisingly fitted as of late. The sweater is a good fit too.It's a thick sweater but the arms are fitted and the length is sitting at about the waist. But yeah, GAP sizing is pretty hit and miss.

It's been mid 40's today all day long with rain..that means it's pretty darn cold in SoCal. I finally wore my pea coat with a sweater underneathit. And I caved in and bought the Red Wing shoes from J. Crew.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by niidawg3

I guess all in all - my advice will be to look all around and build your wardrobe bit by bit. Dont go out and buy a bunch of stuff just to start.

Buy pieces that FIT you well, and will last the test of time ... classics such as a navy blazer, grey v-neck or half zip sweater, white shirt, blue shirt, khaki pants, brown oxford shoes, brown or black loafers or desert boots, a pair of dark rinse jeans etc that FIT PERFECTLY will do you more good than a ton of crap that fit so so or that seem to be hot for the moment.

After you build that basic essential wardrobe, you can then start adding on the shawl cardigans, different types of shoes, colorful pants and things like that, since those come and go with fashion trends.
Agreed.

Son just laid out the blueprint, basically.

touch pro 2 cam but w.e...recent pickups. tryin to get a few clean outfits ready for holidays.

0image019k.jpg

fitted heathered flannel shirt by Gap for $25

0image021.jpg

classic trench from American Eagle for $45

0image020.jpg

shawl collar cardigan from Old Navy for $30.

hope to get some desert boots + knit ties when i go back home to nyc...

Polo Ranger boots (grey)
x2_5bf5f4

Polo Ranger boots (wheat)
x2_5bf80f

Carhartt shirt jac
x2_5bf960

Carhartt duck jean jacket
x2_5bfa30

Outfit for tonight (NY Yankee fitted, Carhartt duck jean jacket, The Hundreds flannel, A.P.C. New Standards, Polo Ranger boots (wheat)
x2_5bfaf7

nt im lookin for some shoes to wear..all i have are sneakers and ever since i upgraded my wardrobe to slim fit jeans/slim buttonups/cord blazers/vests..etc ineed some shoes to rock with

as of now im rockin the purcell converse and some low top creative recs..and im trying to move on to a more classy look..

i live in a warmer/arid climate..so i cant rock most of the boots in here..plus im not a big fan of boots to begin with....especially the bulky ones

any body know what kinda kicks i can pull off for a casual yet well dressed look..
ive seen ppl suggest saddle shoes and desert boots..but im not really feeling those either..i need somethin sleek looking..

any suggestions? where to cop? ( i know this has probably been asked before..forgive me)

Originally Posted by SN Souljah

nt im lookin for some shoes to wear..all i have are sneakers and ever since i upgraded my wardrobe to slim fit jeans/slim buttonups/cord blazers/vests..etc i need some shoes to rock with

as of now im rockin the purcell converse and some low top creative recs..and im trying to move on to a more classy look..

i live in a warmer/arid climate..so i cant rock most of the boots in here..plus im not a big fan of boots to begin with....especially the bulky ones

any body know what kinda kicks i can pull off for a casual yet well dressed look..
ive seen ppl suggest saddle shoes and desert boots..but im not really feeling those either..i need somethin sleek looking..

any suggestions? where to cop? ( i know this has probably been asked before..forgive me)
If you got a couple $$$
common-desert.jpg

common-projects-fall-2008-8.jpg

common-projects-fall-2009-sneakers-8.jpg

Rfx ..great blazer ..def one of my goals is to cop a blazer like that soon. lookin sharp!

and rhester..whats the info on those kicks?

Also got a nice tie from Diesel, on sale at Bloomingdales for $15.
//i13.servimg.com/u/f13/11/83/14/69/411.jpg

Back
Top Bottom