Dressing better

Originally Posted by magikmike

RFX- Been lookin for a tweed joint like that for the longest. Info?
nerd.gif

Burberry.
And I know I shouldn't because it's fleece but I find myself attracted to this blazer. 
embarassed.gif

tired.gif

45708_1.jpg

Street Ettiquette is putting in major work.. It's crazy how far dudes are taking these blogs these days..
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by wj4

Anyone know how Puma Black Label fits? On Gilt now.
Narrow. I always suggest a half-size up.  I work for Puma and normally try on the Black Label shoes whenever they come in. Haha.

Originally Posted by jmal519

i have an interview for grad school (doctor of physical therapy) next friday and i need something to wear. i don't own a suit so that's out of the question. the only things that i have set for my wardrobe for the interview is a pair of H&M charcoal, wool dress pants and black banana republic loafers. any suggestions on what i should wear up top?

If a blazer is out of the question, I'd go with a simple white shirt and a dark tie and a grey cardigan/sweater.
Although I would encourage a blazer for the interview.

okay guys, i need some help...

i've been lurking since this thread was created last year, but barely post in it.

i have an interview for grad school (doctor of physical therapy) next friday and i need something to wear. i don't own a suit so that's out of the question. the only things that i have set for my wardrobe for the interview is a pair of H&M charcoal, wool dress pants and black banana republic loafers. any suggestions on what i should wear up top?

fyi...my style is more-so like RFX's, except my wardrobe isn't as large and not as expensive.

whatever you do ... find a suit. navy or charcoal, with a blue or white shirt, and any tie that complements the shirt.

you CANNOT interview for a graduate school in a pair of pants and shirt. heck, if you live in Atlanta and are my size, i'll borrow you a suit. whatever you do, dont attend an interview for grad school without a suit.

think of it - what if you and another individual are equally qualified and he came in a suit and you didnt ... who do you think will get the final spot? i dont rule out the fact that you can get it without the suit ... but i have never heard of anyone going to a grad school interview without a suit.

Hey what are proper shoes for weddings? I tried to google it but I couldn't find an answer, I know wingtips are too casual for it

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Hey what are proper shoes for weddings? I tried to google it but I couldn't find an answer, I know wingtips are too casual for it

summer or winter? day or night? what other clothes are you wearing? and wingtips are not too casual for a wedding if you are not in the wedding party.

a suit is critical, even normal day to day interactions I feel better respected.
Nii thanks for the input, this is going to be my off the bench suit within a year, it worked well.
going back to the tailor tomorrow for a do-over & bring him a few more pants

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Originally Posted by eeibaby

summer or winter? day or night? what other clothes are you wearing? and wingtips are not too casual for a wedding if you are not in the wedding party.
Morning wedding, evening party

Planning on wearing a pinstripe navy suit, possibly white or some sorta of blue plain shirt

Any suggestions I'm open

Possibly, I remember I might have told you guys I'll be traveling from Philly to NY.

Wedding is in March

For a wedding, if you are just attending, I think a simple dark brown oxford, maybe a captoe or brogue will do.
I wouldn't rule out a black pair either, sometimes there is just nothing like wearing a pair of nice black dress shoe and I think a wedding is one of those perfect times to wear one.
Loake-Black-Cap-Toe-Oxford.jpg

I'm thinking about purchasing a few suits in the next upcoming weeks for an engineering job convention in April at Toronto (NSBE). I honestly don't own a suit so I'm kind of clueless in the purchasing process or what I should look for. Looking at this post, I think I like the slim looking suits that I have seen posted before. My question is, are slim suits ok for job interviews? Fashion is changing so I think it's the new "thing" but I can be wrong. Doing a good search, I found a couple of suits online that looked ok to me. But is it really appropriate though? I'm 6'4 190lbs, so I have a long and slim (not too skinny) frame. Any advice will help. The prices for the suits below seem good too me. I know I will have to take them in to be tailored definitely...which will be another task for me since I'm not sure what I should be doing. I usually just wear and button up with slacks and ties, so I want to step it up a little bit and look more presentable.
Suit 1
Suit 2
Suit 3

I do not think slim in suits is a trend, at least not anymore. Slim used to mean narrower lapels, shorter length, higher arm hole, etc... But now, slim is more on the fit of the suit and there really isn't anything wrong with a suit fitting well. Keep in mind though, just because it says slim doesn't necessarily mean it is. It varies by brand/manufacturer.

My best suggestion is go to the store and try the suits on yourself. You really can't get a real feel and experience by looking and buying online. Try going to Nordstrom Rack, there you could try on suits without much bother, just explore and look for what looks good and then move on from them.

Some few pointers though:
1. I always suggest going with a suit that best fits your shoulders because it the most difficult to alter. It should fit comfortably without protruding much.
2. 2-button suits are your safe bets.
3. The suit should have vents, I am not sure if there is still suits out there w/o one but keep it in mind.
4. Bring the suit to the tailor for adjustments.
5. Invest in shoes.

Originally Posted by nightruans

the-rake-0310-lg.jpg

I wish i was that rich...
frown.gif

that blazer is official but its 3300
sick.gif

you can pull off a similar or better look for a 1/10th of the price. i bought that same color of blazer from Saks last summer for 127. I invested about 40 bucks to tweak it and swap the buttons ... my jeans are 40 bucks ... pocket square is 10, and shoes maybe 150 (depending on what shoe i will wear). I can essentially pull of that same look for 300 max. 

dont be fooled or suckered to buy anything retail. they can knock down the price of that jacket to 200 bucks and still make a profit.  

Originally Posted by RFX45

For a wedding, if you are just attending, I think a simple dark brown oxford, maybe a captoe or brogue will do.
I wouldn't rule out a black pair either, sometimes there is just nothing like wearing a pair of nice black dress shoe and I think a wedding is one of those perfect times to wear one.

i agree. brown oxford will go well with blue pinstripe. i prefer brogueing to plain toe. what is your size and i'll link up a couple options.

Originally Posted by RFX45

If a blazer is out of the question, I'd go with a simple white shirt and a dark tie and a grey cardigan/sweater.
Although I would encourage a blazer for the interview.
You NEED to wear a suit to a professional interview.

If you aren't serious enough to invest in a suit for interviews, why should the school invest in educating you?
Dude's wearing shirts with no jacket to Grad School interviews? Where they do that at.

Back
Top Bottom