Dressing better

I would just point out that just because something is "meant to be untucked" doesn't mean it will look good untucked. Tons of shirts are meant to untucked and look atrocious that way.

But I think what I am saying is fairly close to what RFX and others are saying, it's just that to me the "roundedness" of the shirt should be considerably less than the two pictured above. I agree that the fit and length of the shirts, especially the left, are excellent for the untucked look.

Take this Zara shirt, for example. It's not a perfect example of my point because I think it's a bit too short, but you can see that it's much less rounded than the two above, while not completely squared off. That to me is a shirt that should be untucked. The point of rounding off a shirt all the way is to make tucking it easier, as to not have excess fabric on the sides when tucked, so to merely shorten a rounded shirt and then say that it's meant to be untucked is sort of taking care of half the problem IMO.

5586320800_1_1_3.jpg

I initially agreed with RFX, but after seeing photographic examples of what they meant Persia has it right. Those BoO shirts look foolish and if you were to throw a jacket over it, or any kind of layer, you would sloppy, because shirt would be hanging out the front and back. What kind of belt did you wear with the Chukkas and grey suit Nil?

Unless your jacket is really cropped, I can't really see the shirts I posted hanging in the back. If the jacket is short enough, the shirt Persia posted will hang all around, it would still look sloppy.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

oo206oo - no biggie. i dress in so many different ways i actually dont expect folks to like everything i wear. some stuff will sing with you, some wont. can't be mad at that ... lol.

nightruans and Persianfly - thanks for the comments man.

Nacho - thanks man ... naah, i rarely do cuffs. I have a suit being finished up now, and my tailor finally convinced me to try cuffs. we'll see how it goes. I suspect i will wear it once and send it right back to have it changed ... lol.

What could i have done better on the two casual fits. I feel the NT crowd can rock the casual fits a lot better, so that is where i am looking to up my game a bit more.
The general idea of the two fits is good. There's not much major fixing to be done. However, I would unbutton the second button on the second fit. In this instance, I feel like a lot of the rules of more formal wear can be applied. From what I've seen of you on here and SF, you seem to be an advocate of a lower buttoning stance on jackets. The deeper V elongates the torso and creates a less stuffy look. The flat V the shirt makes with only one button unbuttoned makes the outfit very stuffy-looking. When I wear a casual button up alone without a jacket, I always unbutton two buttons (but that's just me). Also, I feel like the dark gray shoes and dark jeans with the white shirt creates a top-down imbalance. The first look is fine, since everything's darker, but with a stark white shirt, lighter colored shoes would work better IMO, creating more horizontal symmetry. You don't have to do what I do (after all, what do I know?), but that's my take. Your work fits are sick, as always. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RFX45

Unless your jacket is really cropped, I can't really see the shirts I posted hanging in the back. If the jacket is short enough, the shirt Persia posted will hang all around, it would still look sloppy.
I wasn't very specific in my previous post, so I'll try to convey my thought better this time. My jackets stop at the bottom of my belts, do you consider that really cropped? The shirt Persia posted would barely be visible underneath my jackets and if you do consider my jackets really cropped, It wouldn't be visible at all under your jackets(I'm assuming you like your jackets a little longer, correct me if I'm wrong). However the shirts you posted cover the majority of the crotch and underneath my jackets it would look sloppy. The exaggerated curve bottom of the BoO shirts would give the illusions of an untucked dress shirt underneath my jacket.
If it covers the crotch it needs tucking. Does that make more sense?

Originally Posted by Aze201

I wasn't very specific in my previous post, so I'll try to convey my thought better this time. My jackets stop at the bottom of my belts, do you consider that really cropped? The shirt Persia posted would barely be visible underneath my jackets and if you do consider my jackets really cropped, It wouldn't be visible at all under your jackets(I'm assuming you like your jackets a little longer, correct me if I'm wrong). However the shirts you posted cover the majority of the crotch and underneath my jackets it would look sloppy. The exaggerated curve bottom of the BoO shirts would give the illusions of an untucked dress shirt underneath my jacket.
This is another problem with the very-curved cut shirts. If it's short enough that it won't hang below jackets and such, the sides will have to be so high that your love handles or side abs will basically be exposed. 

How do you guys feel about french cuffs w/o a suit? I never really liked it, but I'm looking on tm lewin (got my 1st shirt from them last week, and I love it) and their selection of french cuffs far out weighs their button cuffs.

Originally Posted by Aze201

As a general rule, jackets that end at your belt line is considered cropped. Of course it will depend on the type of jacket but even most jean jackets aren't that short. Me, I am actually one of the people here who prefers a shorter length jacket but as a general rule, if it ends by your belt line it is cropped or short. I don't think it necessarily will look messy either, I mean consider this, you will wear these shirts untucked with casual clothes. So no suits or sport coats. It will be worn with jeans and chinos along with sneakers, desert boots or boots with some jean jacket, utility or leather jacket so the untucked look won't really look sloppy with that combination. Anything in excess is bad so too long or too short is still not the best look but with those BoO, with a casual jacket, casual pants and casual shoes, it won't look sloppy.

It's not a rule but to me, if the shirt ends about halfway or 3/4 of your pants rise, then it's good. Any shorter or longer and it will look weird. That will also depend if you sag or not.

In the end though, you just have to find the style that works for you. I think mine has evolved away from the norm with cues from the general rules.

Originally Posted by YuraS718

How do you guys feel about french cuffs w/o a suit? I never really liked it, but I'm looking on tm lewin (got my 1st shirt from them last week, and I love it) and their selection of french cuffs far out weighs their button cuffs.
I don't think it's a complete no-go, but buying a french cuffed shirt to wear without a jacket seems inefficient to me. You can't really wear it without a tie, and you can't really roll the sleeves up. Even if you wear it with a tie with the sleeves out you'll probably look like you left your jacket somewhere. 
I would definitely try to stay with traditional button cuffed shirts if you're planning to wear them sans jacket. 

Originally Posted by tony23retro

Bought a pair of all black Original Clark DB's...

I like them and everything but they just look too brand new...
might sound dumb but I'm sure someone understands me.
laugh.gif

nerd.gif

I wanted to buy those limited edition clark desert boots that are black leather but they only sold them in england and their site wasn't shipping overseas 
indifferent.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by oo206oo

For what its worth, im also of the belief that the length is the determining factor.

Nii, ive never seen a chambray shirt that was squared off, i imagine it would look kind of odd. I'd say 'do you'. I prefer the rounded bottoms merely for the fact that i still havent jumped on the fitted pants thing yet, and i tend to sag my Levis a couple of inches. The rounded bottom is helpful for when i bend over. (not to mention, if you carry a pistol like i do, its nice to have that extra coverage as well. Thats a whole different 'fashion vs function' discussion though)
Dressing Better, plus the Cal is on me.

Any ideas on what I should do in regards to tailoring this blazer? I've never had anything tailored before, so I don't have a great eye on what to look for, I know the sleeves need to be shortened., but how much should they be shortened?

http://photobucket.com

Take a dress shirt with you to the tailor, one with sleeves that are the right length. Tell the tailor you want a half-inch of cuff to show.

I don't even know if this is possible, but I'd try to have the lapel reshaped to lower the cut of the jacket and to hide the third button. As it is the high cut sort of hurts the look.

Otherwise it's fine. Could take in the sides a bit but it definitely doesn't look bad.

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Speaking of, where CAN you find some decent finished, squared off button downs?
Not really sure if you mean literally squared off by this, but I think Zara's button-downs are generally very well cut with only a slight roundedness to them. Like the pic I posted, except that particular shirt looks weird on the model. 
If Zara is too fitted for your tastes, you might give J. Crew a try. 

Yoooo Im trying to dress like Nucky in Boardwalk Empire the dude Jimmy got a nice style too. Where do I start?

Originally Posted by cartune

Yoooo Im trying to dress like Nucky in Boardwalk Empire the dude Jimmy got a nice style too. Where do I start?
Page 1 homie. You are now on page 1009.

I was just talking to the wife that I want to dress more like Jimmy.
If I dressed like Nucky ide be all dressed up with no where to go.

good to see this thread still alive and well...i've been too busy working for a while...too busy to shop even
30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif

Is it even possible to make a thread like this for the NT women or are there simply too few of us in existence?

Can anybody school me on ordering from Temple of Jawnz?
I'm really feeling these:

2jdfcq1.jpg

b9gh94.jpg

Are these still available? What are the prices? Can I get em specifically tailored to my measurments? How is the quality on em?

Any help is appreciated. THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom